Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tired of Carbs want injection, Have 74 1.8L dual webber going to injection
r_towle
post Mar 25 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2016, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 24 2016, 10:24 PM) *

This creates flutter inside the plenum which can make the air fuel meter flapper door flutter and give you issues.

Do you know this from experience?
My experience is that the AFM is not negatively affected by a fair amount of overlap.
It's harder to tune the engine because the programmed fuel curve isn't correct for the performance characteristics of a more aggressive camshaft.
Adjustments within the AFM to keep the metered fuel rate correct are limited so additional enrichment may be needed.

Yes, personal experience.

Its why I did Djet.

Thanks for asking though.

rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Mar 25 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #22

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 25 2016, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Mar 25 2016, 12:12 PM) *

First off... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

There is a small but growing number of us in Austin. We have not gotten together yet
but I think we are interested in doing so.

I don't know much about L-jet but I can still help out.
Where in Austin are you? I am near the Arboretum, others in Georgetown and Pflugerville. LETS GET IT ON!

Near Manchaca Road - would like to trade numbers/email.

Howdy to AusDan,

I am also in South Austin, a few blocks from Manchaca Rd off S 1st St. I'll have to stop by to see your car! Please send PM with ph # if you'd care to visit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Mark
+Quote Post
ausDan
post Mar 25 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,802

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 25 2016, 12:14 PM) *

Betty and I will be in Austin for the PCA club race at COTA. We will be in her 914. How about we arrange a dinner for then?

When and where would you want to meet?
+Quote Post
CatDaddy60
post Mar 25 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,451

I'm in Pflugerville and would also like to get together. I have several manuals and a rudimentary knowledge of FI injection systems (I can be dangerous). I would be interested in helping. let me know when and where. I also know a former Porsche master mechanic that just got a lift in his home shop in Spring Branch Tx and what we can't sort I know he would be willing to help.
+Quote Post
CatDaddy60
post Mar 26 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,451

Well that was great getting together with ausdan and bobl and talking 914s . I look forward to helping everyone on the Austin area.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 26 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #26

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

Im a huge fan of d jet mine runs almost flawless
When warm

But modern style injection with the sensors and sniffers

I would think will outperform d jet everytime

I like the kits that look like webbers but are actually f.i

And so much cleaner

No big pile of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) on top of the engine
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Mar 26 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2016, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2016, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 24 2016, 10:24 PM) *

This creates flutter inside the plenum which can make the air fuel meter flapper door flutter and give you issues.

Do you know this from experience?
My experience is that the AFM is not negatively affected by a fair amount of overlap.
It's harder to tune the engine because the programmed fuel curve isn't correct for the performance characteristics of a more aggressive camshaft.
Adjustments within the AFM to keep the metered fuel rate correct are limited so additional enrichment may be needed.

Yes, personal experience.

Its why I did Djet.

Thanks for asking though.

rich

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It will start and run with a carb cam, but it runs very shitty!
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Mar 26 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 403

QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 24 2016, 12:26 AM) *

I don't know, but it feels as though it has a non-stock cam. As I go though it, I want to return it to stock. I think it has some ticking noise coming from the heads I suspect valve wear. I am getting some excellent as well as reassuring posts to this.

Hi,
Pull the oil pump. Rivets = original cam, bolts = replacement. If it is aftermarket, the part number is usually stamped on the cam. turn motor and write the number down.

+Quote Post
914Mike
post Mar 27 2016, 01:30 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 26 2016, 08:40 PM) *

I don't know, but it feels as though it has a non-stock cam. As I go though it, I want to return it to stock. I think it has some ticking noise coming from the heads I suspect valve wear. I am getting some excellent as well as reassuring posts to this.

Hi,
Pull the oil pump. Rivets = original cam, bolts = replacement. If it is aftermarket, the part number is usually stamped on the cam. turn motor and write the number down.

Plenty of places will regrind/re-profile a stock geared cam. In fact that's the only way to get the correct size cam gear to match your case that I know of.

L-Jet runs great with a "Mild" carb cam, no experience past that on the "mild to wild" curve...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 27 2016, 06:56 AM
Post #30

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914Mike @ Mar 27 2016, 02:30 AM) *

Hi,

Plenty of places will regrind/re-profile a stock geared cam. In fact that's the only way to get the correct size cam gear to match your case that I know of.

L-Jet runs great with a "Mild" carb cam, no experience past that on the "mild to wild" curve...

Betty's car has a Raby 9590 cam in it, and it runs great with the L-Jet.

We will be in Austin on May 6, 7, and 8th for the PCA club race. Our hotel is near where 71 and 183 (Ben White and Riverside) so we can meet at a restaurant near there for dinner on Saturday.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 27 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #31

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 27 2016, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(914Mike @ Mar 27 2016, 02:30 AM) *

Hi,

Betty's car has a Raby 9590 cam in it, and it runs great with the L-Jet.

We will be in Austin on May 6, 7, and 8th for the PCA club race. Our hotel is near where 71 and 183 (Ben White and Riverside) so we can meet at a restaurant near there for dinner on Saturday.

Pretty sure that the 9590 or 9550 from Jake has wider lobes with a faster ramp, but the same overlap. Ljet does not car about that, but djet does at idle.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Mar 27 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #32

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Pretty sure that the 9590 or 9550 from Jake has wider lobes with a faster ramp, but the same overlap. Ljet does not car about that, but djet does at idle.

Really? That would be great. Do not mean to hi-jack, but I also have a '74 1.8. I built a 1911cc with Webers, but I too want to put the L-Jet on it. I like the extra power of the 1911, but prefer the L-Jet smoothness.

Is overlap the critical factor with this cam and L-Jet?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 27 2016, 04:39 PM
Post #33

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 27 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Really? That would be great. Do not mean to hi-jack, but I also have a '74 1.8. I built a 1911cc with Webers, but I too want to put the L-Jet on it. I like the extra power of the 1911, but prefer the L-Jet smoothness.

Is overlap the critical factor with this cam and L-Jet?

That cam is working fine in the Wife's 914 with L-Jet. She loves the extra power.....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:34 AM