Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tired of Carbs want injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ausDan
I bought a 74 1.8L that has dual Webbers, and it is really a pain starting it in cool weather, and it backfires after releasing the accelerator. I recently bought a "complete fuel injection taken from a running 1975 1.8", and I am interested in knowing if I will have compatibility issues. My desire is to return this car to its stock configuration as a casual driver.
saigon71
QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 24 2016, 12:26 AM) *

I bought a 74 1.8L that has dual Webbers, and it is really a pain starting it in cool weather, and it backfires after releasing the accelerator. I recently bought a "complete fuel injection taken from a running 1975 1.8", and I am interested in knowing if I will have compatibility issues. My desire is to return this car to its stock configuration as a casual driver.

The only compatibility issues would be if a non FI camshaft was installed for those carbs. Any idea what camshaft is in your engine?

Stock FI is an excellent system for a stockish car. It may take some time to sort it out, but it's worth the effort in my opinion.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 23 2016, 11:26 PM) *

I can help and I am in the DFW area. We are doing one for Rob-o in the near future, and you are welcome to join us.
SirAndy
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 24 2016, 05:08 AM) *
Stock FI is an excellent system for a stockish car. It may take some time to sort it out, but it's worth the effort in my opinion.

agree.gif
tomrev
Of course, the fuel pump will need to be changed to the high pre. injection pump; perhaps you have that with all the F.I. bits.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tomrev @ Mar 24 2016, 12:43 PM) *

Of course, the fuel pump will need to be changed to the high pre. injection pump; perhaps you have that with all the F.I. bits.

Or just go to FLAPS and purchase an Airtex E8445 or equivalent. New pump for about 110.00, and it makes the same pressure and volume as the 350.00 stock pump.
RohJay
QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 24 2016, 09:56 AM) *

Few months ago, I reverted to original L-jet FI on my '75 weber carbed engine: no regrets watsoever. You should not have any issues fitting a '75 J-Jet system on a '74, as long as ALL components are from a working '75 system. If the '75 has smog unit, you can very well ditch that AFAIK.

Plenty of resources here to guide you : http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm.

Also this post I made while I was trying to figure my way, might be of use:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=260942&hl=

Good luck
cgnj
Ljet should be able to handle common carb cams. Measures the air going in, so no vacum signature issues.
jcd914
It does not take much cam to causes too much pulsation in the intake air flow and the air flow meter can't handle it.

jim

saigon71
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 24 2016, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(tomrev @ Mar 24 2016, 12:43 PM) *

Or just go to FLAPS and purchase an Airtex E8445 or equivalent. New pump for about 110.00, and it makes the same pressure and volume as the 350.00 stock pump.

agree.gif

+1 on the Airtex pump if you need a high pressure pump. Great unit!
ausDan
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 24 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 23 2016, 11:26 PM) *

I can help and I am in the DFW area. We are doing one for Rob-o in the near future, and you are welcome to join us.

Thanks for the response, I am interested in building some knowledge before jumping into it. Great to find someone close by - even at 200 miles. I am still trying to decide how to configure the car. I think I also have some issues with valves as they are noisy. My thought is to rebuild and ditch the carberators for FI. Once the engine is warmed up it runs pretty well and seems like it doesn't burn oil.
ausDan
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 24 2016, 07:08 AM) *

The only compatibility issues would be if a non FI camshaft was installed for those carbs. Any idea what camshaft is in your engine?

I don't know, but it feels as though it has a non-stock cam. As I go though it, I want to return it to stock. I think it has some ticking noise coming from the heads I suspect valve wear. I am getting some excellent as well as reassuring posts to this.
r_towle
A camshaft designed for carbs would have more overlap then a stock camshaft.
This creates flutter inside the plenum which can make the air fuel meter flapper door flutter and give you issues.

But, my thoughts
A) most people never change the camshafts, they just flipped to carbs
B) you can get away with a street camshaft for carbs, there are stronger springs if needed ( a rebuilder can help you, Google 944 afm)
C) you won't know till you try, and take the offer of local help, it will save you months of troubleshooting
ngk007

Hi All,
I too am tired of Carb life on my '75 914 2.0 and am looking for a complete Fuel Injection kit, when I purchased my car a year ago, it came with Dellorto carbs and I do not have any of the stock injection parts including electronics. Anyone out there have a full system for sale or from a donor car?
Bob L.
First off... welcome.png

There is a small but growing number of us in Austin. We have not gotten together yet
but I think we are interested in doing so.

I don't know much about L-jet but I can still help out.
Where in Austin are you? I am near the Arboretum, others in Georgetown and Pflugerville. LETS GET IT ON!

ClayPerrine
Betty and I will be in Austin for the PCA club race at COTA. We will be in her 914. How about we arrange a dinner for then?

ausDan
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Mar 25 2016, 12:12 PM) *

First off... welcome.png

There is a small but growing number of us in Austin. We have not gotten together yet

Where in Austin are you? I am near the Arboretum, others in Georgetown and Pflugerville. LETS GET IT ON!

Near Manchaca Road - would like to trade numbers/email.
ausDan
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 25 2016, 12:14 PM) *

Betty and I will be in Austin for the PCA club race at COTA. We will be in her 914. How about we arrange a dinner for then?

Great, I would like to see if you think the box of L-Jet looks workable. When I bought it they said it came straight from a running car, and the parts are well sealed in plastic bags. Then I took an exploded diagram, and used that to see if anything was missing - I think it's about as complete as I expect. Who knows, I usually have to shop around for something. I am not a well trained mechanic - much less air cooled flat H-4. I have rebuilt one engine, and that was a Ford V6 SOHC (took a few months and a lot of advice and frustration) which at 40K miles still runs. Now I am interested in these air cooled engines.
We could meet when you are in town.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 25 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Great, I would like to see if you think the box of L-Jet looks workable. When I bought it they said it came straight from a running car, and the parts are well sealed in plastic bags. Then I took an exploded diagram, and used that to see if anything was missing - I think it's about as complete as I expect. Who knows, I usually have to shop around for something. I am not a well trained mechanic - much less air cooled flat H-4. I have rebuilt one engine, and that was a Ford V6 SOHC (took a few months and a lot of advice and frustration) which at 40K miles still runs. Now I am interested in these air cooled engines.
We could meet when you are in town.

Dinner on Friday or Saturday night would be great. But you will have to come to us, because we are working grid for the race, and we are usually wiped out after that.

Any other Austin 914 owners want to join us?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 24 2016, 10:24 PM) *

This creates flutter inside the plenum which can make the air fuel meter flapper door flutter and give you issues.

Do you know this from experience?
My experience is that the AFM is not negatively affected by a fair amount of overlap.
It's harder to tune the engine because the programmed fuel curve isn't correct for the performance characteristics of a more aggressive camshaft.
Adjustments within the AFM to keep the metered fuel rate correct are limited so additional enrichment may be needed.
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2016, 02:47 PM) *

My experience is that the AFM is not negatively affected by a fair amount of overlap.
It's harder to tune the engine because the programmed fuel curve isn't correct for the performance characteristics of a more aggressive camshaft.
Adjustments within the AFM to keep the metered fuel rate correct are limited so additional enrichment may be needed.

Yes, personal experience.

Its why I did Djet.

Thanks for asking though.

rich
mark04usa
QUOTE(ausDan @ Mar 25 2016, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Mar 25 2016, 12:12 PM) *

First off... welcome.png

Near Manchaca Road - would like to trade numbers/email.

Howdy to AusDan,

I am also in South Austin, a few blocks from Manchaca Rd off S 1st St. I'll have to stop by to see your car! Please send PM with ph # if you'd care to visit. beerchug.gif

Mark
ausDan

When and where would you want to meet?
CatDaddy60
I'm in Pflugerville and would also like to get together. I have several manuals and a rudimentary knowledge of FI injection systems (I can be dangerous). I would be interested in helping. let me know when and where. I also know a former Porsche master mechanic that just got a lift in his home shop in Spring Branch Tx and what we can't sort I know he would be willing to help.
CatDaddy60
Well that was great getting together with ausdan and bobl and talking 914s . I look forward to helping everyone on the Austin area.
thelogo
Im a huge fan of d jet mine runs almost flawless
When warm

But modern style injection with the sensors and sniffers

I would think will outperform d jet everytime

I like the kits that look like webbers but are actually f.i

And so much cleaner

No big pile of. stromberg.gif on top of the engine
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2016, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 25 2016, 02:47 PM) *

Yes, personal experience.

Its why I did Djet.

Thanks for asking though.

rich

agree.gif

It will start and run with a carb cam, but it runs very shitty!
cgnj

I don't know, but it feels as though it has a non-stock cam. As I go though it, I want to return it to stock. I think it has some ticking noise coming from the heads I suspect valve wear. I am getting some excellent as well as reassuring posts to this.

Hi,
Pull the oil pump. Rivets = original cam, bolts = replacement. If it is aftermarket, the part number is usually stamped on the cam. turn motor and write the number down.

914Mike
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 26 2016, 08:40 PM) *

Hi,
Pull the oil pump. Rivets = original cam, bolts = replacement. If it is aftermarket, the part number is usually stamped on the cam. turn motor and write the number down.

Plenty of places will regrind/re-profile a stock geared cam. In fact that's the only way to get the correct size cam gear to match your case that I know of.

L-Jet runs great with a "Mild" carb cam, no experience past that on the "mild to wild" curve...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914Mike @ Mar 27 2016, 02:30 AM) *

Hi,

Plenty of places will regrind/re-profile a stock geared cam. In fact that's the only way to get the correct size cam gear to match your case that I know of.

L-Jet runs great with a "Mild" carb cam, no experience past that on the "mild to wild" curve...

Betty's car has a Raby 9590 cam in it, and it runs great with the L-Jet.

We will be in Austin on May 6, 7, and 8th for the PCA club race. Our hotel is near where 71 and 183 (Ben White and Riverside) so we can meet at a restaurant near there for dinner on Saturday.

r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 27 2016, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(914Mike @ Mar 27 2016, 02:30 AM) *

Hi,

Betty's car has a Raby 9590 cam in it, and it runs great with the L-Jet.

We will be in Austin on May 6, 7, and 8th for the PCA club race. Our hotel is near where 71 and 183 (Ben White and Riverside) so we can meet at a restaurant near there for dinner on Saturday.

Pretty sure that the 9590 or 9550 from Jake has wider lobes with a faster ramp, but the same overlap. Ljet does not car about that, but djet does at idle.
Rav914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Pretty sure that the 9590 or 9550 from Jake has wider lobes with a faster ramp, but the same overlap. Ljet does not car about that, but djet does at idle.

Really? That would be great. Do not mean to hi-jack, but I also have a '74 1.8. I built a 1911cc with Webers, but I too want to put the L-Jet on it. I like the extra power of the 1911, but prefer the L-Jet smoothness.

Is overlap the critical factor with this cam and L-Jet?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Mar 27 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Really? That would be great. Do not mean to hi-jack, but I also have a '74 1.8. I built a 1911cc with Webers, but I too want to put the L-Jet on it. I like the extra power of the 1911, but prefer the L-Jet smoothness.

Is overlap the critical factor with this cam and L-Jet?

That cam is working fine in the Wife's 914 with L-Jet. She loves the extra power.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.