Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Punkin's back together... valves adjusted, points, bunch of new stuff... runs shitty
Bruce Allert
post Mar 26 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Hellions asleep

Group: Members
Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Had to put in points cuz the Pertronics took a dump. Had trouble getting the dwell to 45 but made it. Idles great.
Sounds like it's missing intermittanly while driving but I can't feel it. Might be a slight backfire. Timed it to 27 degrees.
After reading that so many are adjusting valves to .005 on their 2.0's I figured I'd give it a try. MAN! are they noisey! I'll re-adjust & see what happens.

Maybe I goofed somewhere & this might be the cause of it's running crappy.

There's new plugs, wires cap & rotor.

Getting very tired of working on this thing with no results (whine (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) )

Also have an oil leak in the vicinity of oil cooler. Can seals be installed from the top with the tin off? I sure don't want to pull the engine again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Might try the electronic ignition again or just go crazy & set it on fire! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

.........b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 26 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

bruce, if the o.c. seals are gone you will know by the lake of oil on the floor and the top of the filter will be full of oil too. look around the oil presure sending unit and look at the area at the base of the oil fill tower. the mailman should be at your door with an item today.

k
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Mar 26 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks Kev, I wouldn't call it a lake but it's beginning to look like a small pond! Although I can't see it dripping while it's running It's there the next time I go to use it hours later. I'll be under it (A G A I N ) today (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) ...

Replacing the injection runner seals & gaskets sure made a difference in ridding the car of vacuum leaks.

.......b
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 26 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #4

some have claimed it's not too bad to replace the seals with the engine in. i couldn't get my fat fingers up in there.

k
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 26 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I think 005 on the valves is tighter than spec so seems to me they should be quieter, not noisier. Maybe should recheck for loose valve or two.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 26 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #6

see if there is someone in your area with a lift you might use for a few hours (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) , and save you neck and back. when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

k
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 26 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

I've always thought that it had to be cold cold, no luke warm. Overnight or all day sitting.
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Mar 26 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 26 2005, 11:58 AM)
see if there is someone in your area with a lift you might use for a few hours (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) , and save you neck and back. when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

k

Make sure the engine is overnight cold. .006 on intake and .008 on exaust is "safe". It should't be very noisey and quite down when hot. Mine is pretty low on noise even with the safe numbers I mentioned. Check for exhaust leaks too. That can add to the noise of not evenly snug to the the heads [do not overtighten!].

Points are a major pain! I am dealing with this as well. Petronix is so much better. I plan on getting one back ASAP.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:05 AM