Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Punkin's back together... valves adjusted, points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Had to put in points cuz the Pertronics took a dump. Had trouble getting the dwell to 45 but made it. Idles great.
Sounds like it's missing intermittanly while driving but I can't feel it. Might be a slight backfire. Timed it to 27 degrees.
After reading that so many are adjusting valves to .005 on their 2.0's I figured I'd give it a try. MAN! are they noisey! I'll re-adjust & see what happens.

Maybe I goofed somewhere & this might be the cause of it's running crappy.

There's new plugs, wires cap & rotor.

Getting very tired of working on this thing with no results (whine sad.gif )

Also have an oil leak in the vicinity of oil cooler. Can seals be installed from the top with the tin off? I sure don't want to pull the engine again wacko.gif

Might try the electronic ignition again or just go crazy & set it on fire! screwy.gif

.........b
rhodyguy
bruce, if the o.c. seals are gone you will know by the lake of oil on the floor and the top of the filter will be full of oil too. look around the oil presure sending unit and look at the area at the base of the oil fill tower. the mailman should be at your door with an item today.

k
Bruce Allert
Thanks Kev, I wouldn't call it a lake but it's beginning to look like a small pond! Although I can't see it dripping while it's running It's there the next time I go to use it hours later. I'll be under it (A G A I N ) today dry.gif ...

Replacing the injection runner seals & gaskets sure made a difference in ridding the car of vacuum leaks.

.......b
rhodyguy
some have claimed it's not too bad to replace the seals with the engine in. i couldn't get my fat fingers up in there.

k
Porsche Rescue
I think 005 on the valves is tighter than spec so seems to me they should be quieter, not noisier. Maybe should recheck for loose valve or two.
rhodyguy
see if there is someone in your area with a lift you might use for a few hours dry.gif , and save you neck and back. when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

k
Rhodes71/914
when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

I've always thought that it had to be cold cold, no luke warm. Overnight or all day sitting.
newdeal2
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 26 2005, 11:58 AM)
see if there is someone in your area with a lift you might use for a few hours dry.gif , and save you neck and back. when the values are done "cold", how cold does that have to be? can you get away with luke warm to the touch, or does the car have to sit overnight?

k

Make sure the engine is overnight cold. .006 on intake and .008 on exaust is "safe". It should't be very noisey and quite down when hot. Mine is pretty low on noise even with the safe numbers I mentioned. Check for exhaust leaks too. That can add to the noise of not evenly snug to the the heads [do not overtighten!].

Points are a major pain! I am dealing with this as well. Petronix is so much better. I plan on getting one back ASAP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.