Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mig Welder
RD Evans
post Mar 26 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 923

Is this mig welder powerful enough to handle typical rust repairs, ie. floor pans? Seems like a good machine for the money. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 26 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Yes that is all you need, BUT I would be very cautious of a no name welder! I would suggest you go to Sears and get one from them. They are relativly inexpensive and do a good job.Lincoln and Miller also make GREAT machines but cost a bit more.110 amp miller is probably around $300 but is worth it. I have a 250 amp which runs closer to $1700. But is way more than you need for thin material.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Mar 26 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #3

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) You can also find brand name stuff at Home Depot and Lowes. And it might be worthwhile to check your local welding supply house. You'll end up there to get shielding gas anyway and they can give you the support and advice you need to be happy with your welder.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 26 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Get a Miller, Century, Lincoln, HTP, or any reputable BRAND NAME, GAS MIG welder. If you don't get the shielding gas kit it's not really MIG, it's a wire feed arc welder, and you'll regret it. Get the best welder you can afford, you will appreciate it in the future.

110 welders are handy, but you find the performance changes with the length of the extension cord. If you aren't wired for 220/230 then you don't have any choice. You can do just fine with a good quality 110 welder though, it will weld anything you need to on a 914. The arc stabilty and duty cycle of 110 welders isn't as good as a 220/230 unit.

You want to use .023 wire. It will give less problems and you won't burn through as easily.

DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!!
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Mar 26 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #5

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

You can buy a 230v 175amp Hobart Handler MIG for around $550 or so, you have to get your own Co2/Argon bottle, but it is nice to have. I have used it to weld sheet metal all the way up to 3/8" thick steel.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 26 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looks like a daytona Mig welder, good price if you can make it in 5 minutes!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 26 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #7

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Junk...pass on it.

I called around to welder repair places. They sometimes have a welder that someone didn't pick up. I picked up a Miller Millermatic 130XP for around $350.
+Quote Post
rupert14
post Mar 26 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,339
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hobart 180 amp was just over 500 on ebay and with warranty. I bought the bottle and I just welded 1/4 inch thick suspension brackets on my jeep. I love it. I saved for an extra 5 months to get the bigger machine and I am glad.
Bob
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 26 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 26 2005, 04:03 PM)
Get a Miller, Century, Lincoln, HTP, or any reputable BRAND NAME, GAS MIG welder. If you don't get the shielding gas kit it's not really MIG, it's a wire feed arc welder, and you'll regret it. Get the best welder you can afford, you will appreciate it in the future.

110 welders are handy, but you find the performance changes with the length of the extension cord. If you aren't wired for 220/230 then you don't have any choice. You can do just fine with a good quality 110 welder though, it will weld anything you need to on a 914. The arc stabilty and duty cycle of 110 welders isn't as good as a 220/230 unit.

You want to use .023 wire. It will give less problems and you won't burn through as easily.

DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) A gas MIG is important. Flux cored wire is great for burning through rust, but you'll have a hard time making good welds on all the thin sheet metal that teeners are made from.

I think a 110v MIG is ideal for working on teeners. The thickest metal in the body is only 21-22 guage and you still have to weld on the low power settings with a 110v so you don't burn through on most welds. The duty cycle is not as good as the 230v's, but if you're only using it on your car you will have a hard time pushing the duty cycle.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 27 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #10

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I started under here to see if I was ready. All new metal. Going to try working on a spare door first before going on. After reading this.

"DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!! "

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 05:27 AM