Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mig Welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Is this mig welder powerful enough to handle typical rust repairs, ie. floor pans? Seems like a good machine for the money. welder.gif
scotty b
Yes that is all you need, BUT I would be very cautious of a no name welder! I would suggest you go to Sears and get one from them. They are relativly inexpensive and do a good job.Lincoln and Miller also make GREAT machines but cost a bit more.110 amp miller is probably around $300 but is worth it. I have a 250 amp which runs closer to $1700. But is way more than you need for thin material.
ejm
agree.gif You can also find brand name stuff at Home Depot and Lowes. And it might be worthwhile to check your local welding supply house. You'll end up there to get shielding gas anyway and they can give you the support and advice you need to be happy with your welder.
IronHillRestorations
Get a Miller, Century, Lincoln, HTP, or any reputable BRAND NAME, GAS MIG welder. If you don't get the shielding gas kit it's not really MIG, it's a wire feed arc welder, and you'll regret it. Get the best welder you can afford, you will appreciate it in the future.

110 welders are handy, but you find the performance changes with the length of the extension cord. If you aren't wired for 220/230 then you don't have any choice. You can do just fine with a good quality 110 welder though, it will weld anything you need to on a 914. The arc stabilty and duty cycle of 110 welders isn't as good as a 220/230 unit.

You want to use .023 wire. It will give less problems and you won't burn through as easily.

DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!!
Dominic
You can buy a 230v 175amp Hobart Handler MIG for around $550 or so, you have to get your own Co2/Argon bottle, but it is nice to have. I have used it to weld sheet metal all the way up to 3/8" thick steel.
TravisNeff
Looks like a daytona Mig welder, good price if you can make it in 5 minutes!
CptTripps
Junk...pass on it.

I called around to welder repair places. They sometimes have a welder that someone didn't pick up. I picked up a Miller Millermatic 130XP for around $350.
rupert14
Hobart 180 amp was just over 500 on ebay and with warranty. I bought the bottle and I just welded 1/4 inch thick suspension brackets on my jeep. I love it. I saved for an extra 5 months to get the bigger machine and I am glad.
Bob
riverman
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 26 2005, 04:03 PM)
Get a Miller, Century, Lincoln, HTP, or any reputable BRAND NAME, GAS MIG welder. If you don't get the shielding gas kit it's not really MIG, it's a wire feed arc welder, and you'll regret it. Get the best welder you can afford, you will appreciate it in the future.

110 welders are handy, but you find the performance changes with the length of the extension cord. If you aren't wired for 220/230 then you don't have any choice. You can do just fine with a good quality 110 welder though, it will weld anything you need to on a 914. The arc stabilty and duty cycle of 110 welders isn't as good as a 220/230 unit.

You want to use .023 wire. It will give less problems and you won't burn through as easily.

DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!!

agree.gif A gas MIG is important. Flux cored wire is great for burning through rust, but you'll have a hard time making good welds on all the thin sheet metal that teeners are made from.

I think a 110v MIG is ideal for working on teeners. The thickest metal in the body is only 21-22 guage and you still have to weld on the low power settings with a 110v so you don't burn through on most welds. The duty cycle is not as good as the 230v's, but if you're only using it on your car you will have a hard time pushing the duty cycle.
Garland
I started under here to see if I was ready. All new metal. Going to try working on a spare door first before going on. After reading this.

"DO NOT WELD ON YOUR 914 WITHOUT LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!!! Get some scraps of the same gauge you will be using to repair, after you cut the original piece off the car (if that's what you are doing), practice welding to it. DON"T TOUCH THE CAR WITH THE WELDER UNTIL YOU ARE MAKING NICE PRETTY WELDS!!! "
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.