Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What optical ignition are you using, ? on how you did the install
Engman
post Mar 27 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

I have had an XR-700 crane unit in my 914 for 6 years - real pita to put in. Had to mount the optical pickup coil on the cheapo arm that was supplied and just really have not liked it. I am thinking of making some sort of decent mount that would drop in and make this easier to install, since I have another one to do.

But before I do this - are they all like this? I hear +/- on the Pertronox units. What about others - or did I use the dumb way to mount mine?

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 27 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Pertronix and Compufire are both Hall-effect magnetic devices. AFAIK, Crane makes the only optical points-replacement gizmo. And they're all like that with the super-duper cheesy metal arm mounting the pickup. Some outfit in FL was doing "custom" installs and machining brackets that were more stout but still had some adjustment, but I think they'd only do it for your distributor if you sent the whole thing in to them. And you had to buy the Crane (which may have been re-badged by them?) from them as well. This is from a magazine article a few years back, so I may have the details really messed up.

But anyway, if you come up with a good mounting bracket that uses the stock single screw hole, I'd be interested. Err, after I have an income again, at any rate.

--DD
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 27 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #3

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif) Dave, didn't you find another job?? I thought you did--

I am running the crane on mine--it did not need any special bracket--just screwed in the points holes real easy like--what dizzy you running??
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Mar 27 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,432

i just ordered the crane unit....hm.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 27 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #5

retired

Member No.: 313

Crane bought Allison ignitions a few years back..

Im just wonderering since your Crane has been working for 6 years, whats the problem? The stamped metal arm look cheesy, but works fine, No?

I installed the Crane nee Allison in a 67S distributor for one of my 911's and it worked flawlessly for over 10 years. And still works well as I see my old car occasionally
+Quote Post
Engman
post Mar 27 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Im just wonderering since your Crane has been working for 6 years, whats the problem? The stamped metal arm look cheesy, but works fine, No?

Yes it still works fine, but the install and adjustment of it was a real PITA. And I do worry about it moving - have seen a little wear on the shutters.

What I want is a drop in piece that the optics attach to that attaches to the distributor. This would set the height for the shutter properly and allow for the initial adjustment. I was really hoping that there was recommendation for a different unit and or I really botched my install. Does not sound like that is the case.

M
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Mar 27 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

it's a pita to setup, but once it's set, it's done (IMHExperience).

i've set mine up in 3 different dizzies with only minimal cursing.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 27 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Engman @ Mar 27 2005, 06:18 PM)
What I want is a drop in piece that the optics attach to that attaches to the distributor. This would set the height for the shutter properly and allow for the initial adjustment.

But that part would only work for 914s and aircooled VWs that have vacuum advance. And a few other distributors that have the same relationship between the points mounting screw hole, the distributor shaft, the points plate, and so on. The kit as it exists is one they can sell for just about any car... That's why there are two or three separate adjustments on it.

No job yet... I'm still looking, some possibilities.

--DD
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 27 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Crane Allison....get it at Summit Racing, best pricing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:01 AM