Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sport Muffler Fab Question, best methods
tomrev
post Apr 4 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

Some background: My 914 has gone from a 383Chevy, to a 283, and now Honda 3.5 V-6 engine. A backwards power curve. The Chevy's just didn't sound the way I wanted the car to sound, so the move to the Honda. When it was finished, I re-cut, and re-made a system for the Honda using the twin Dynomax mufflers from the Chevy system, with 2 1/2in main pipes into the mufflers, and 3in. exit pipes. Kind of big for a 3.5, but it was 304 stainless, and I already had it. The car sounded quiet at idle, and glorious at open throttle, a cross between an NSX and a big 911. However, at cruise, and mid revs, ( 2K to 2800) it was pretty boomy, drony, too much so. I took it apart, re-did the pipes, and used a stock early 70's Leitritz banana muffler. Now it is too quiet! My current plan is to convert it to a sport muffler, and not having built one for 25 years, I'm asking those who have if they were able to make them without being too loud, or if a twin in, twin out is inherently going to drone. In my pile of stuff I have some 304 pipe in 2 1/2in. OD. Would this be too big for the exit side? Most sport's seem to have the exit pipes about 12-14in. apart, from the center; are there any inner chambers I can not fuch up by locating the exit pipes in a certain spot? Thanks! (photo of the Chevy system)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
mgp4591
post Apr 4 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Someone not too long ago took similar mufflers to your Dynomax and ran 90 degree elbows toward the rear center and welded them to a large diameter long glasspack, then drilled two large outlets for tailpipes exiting center about 6 inches apart. He claims the sound was just right- I wish I could remember the builder but I'm too lazy to look it up and it's past my bedtime... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)
And looked cool as hell.
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Apr 5 2016, 05:25 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 4 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Someone not too long ago took similar mufflers to your Dynomax and ran 90 degree elbows toward the rear center and welded them to a large diameter long glasspack, then drilled two large outlets for tailpipes exiting center about 6 inches apart. He claims the sound was just right- I wish I could remember the builder but I'm too lazy to look it up and it's past my bedtime... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)
And looked cool as hell.

Would be interesting how he fit all that back there; would be cool to see it from underneath. The big reason I reverted to the Leitritz was packaging, to take advantage of the original design, and weight is pretty light. Thanks!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 5 2016, 07:37 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

This? http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2295647
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 5 2016, 10:53 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(tomrev @ Apr 4 2016, 01:30 PM) *

Some background: My 914 has gone from a 383Chevy, to a 283, and now Honda 3.5 V-6 engine. A backwards power curve. The Chevy's just didn't sound the way I wanted the car to sound, so the move to the Honda. When it was finished, I re-cut, and re-made a system for the Honda using the twin Dynomax mufflers from the Chevy system, with 2 1/2in main pipes into the mufflers, and 3in. exit pipes. Kind of big for a 3.5, but it was 304 stainless, and I already had it. The car sounded quiet at idle, and glorious at open throttle, a cross between an NSX and a big 911. However, at cruise, and mid revs, ( 2K to 2800) it was pretty boomy, drony, too much so. I took it apart, re-did the pipes, and used a stock early 70's Leitritz banana muffler. Now it is too quiet! My current plan is to convert it to a sport muffler, and not having built one for 25 years, I'm asking those who have if they were able to make them without being too loud, or if a twin in, twin out is inherently going to drone. In my pile of stuff I have some 304 pipe in 2 1/2in. OD. Would this be too big for the exit side? Most sport's seem to have the exit pipes about 12-14in. apart, from the center; are there any inner chambers I can not fuch up by locating the exit pipes in a certain spot? Thanks! (photo of the Chevy system)

And a nice video of this glorious sound is where? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Apr 5 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2016, 05:37 AM) *

Interesting reading; I will stick with the banana, and probably do the usual twin pipe exits. Just hope it doesn't revert to being too loud.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Apr 5 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #7

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If drone in a specific Rev range is your issue look into a Helmholtz pipe. It's a flawless acoustic pipe designed to kill noise of a certain frequency. I'm going to try to implement it on my droney exhaust later this summer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:48 AM