Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sport Muffler Fab Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomrev
Some background: My 914 has gone from a 383Chevy, to a 283, and now Honda 3.5 V-6 engine. A backwards power curve. The Chevy's just didn't sound the way I wanted the car to sound, so the move to the Honda. When it was finished, I re-cut, and re-made a system for the Honda using the twin Dynomax mufflers from the Chevy system, with 2 1/2in main pipes into the mufflers, and 3in. exit pipes. Kind of big for a 3.5, but it was 304 stainless, and I already had it. The car sounded quiet at idle, and glorious at open throttle, a cross between an NSX and a big 911. However, at cruise, and mid revs, ( 2K to 2800) it was pretty boomy, drony, too much so. I took it apart, re-did the pipes, and used a stock early 70's Leitritz banana muffler. Now it is too quiet! My current plan is to convert it to a sport muffler, and not having built one for 25 years, I'm asking those who have if they were able to make them without being too loud, or if a twin in, twin out is inherently going to drone. In my pile of stuff I have some 304 pipe in 2 1/2in. OD. Would this be too big for the exit side? Most sport's seem to have the exit pipes about 12-14in. apart, from the center; are there any inner chambers I can not fuch up by locating the exit pipes in a certain spot? Thanks! (photo of the Chevy system)
mgp4591
Someone not too long ago took similar mufflers to your Dynomax and ran 90 degree elbows toward the rear center and welded them to a large diameter long glasspack, then drilled two large outlets for tailpipes exiting center about 6 inches apart. He claims the sound was just right- I wish I could remember the builder but I'm too lazy to look it up and it's past my bedtime... yellowsleep[1].gif
And looked cool as hell.
tomrev
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 4 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Someone not too long ago took similar mufflers to your Dynomax and ran 90 degree elbows toward the rear center and welded them to a large diameter long glasspack, then drilled two large outlets for tailpipes exiting center about 6 inches apart. He claims the sound was just right- I wish I could remember the builder but I'm too lazy to look it up and it's past my bedtime... yellowsleep[1].gif
And looked cool as hell.

Would be interesting how he fit all that back there; would be cool to see it from underneath. The big reason I reverted to the Leitritz was packaging, to take advantage of the original design, and weight is pretty light. Thanks!
Mueller
QUOTE(tomrev @ Apr 4 2016, 01:30 PM) *

Some background: My 914 has gone from a 383Chevy, to a 283, and now Honda 3.5 V-6 engine. A backwards power curve. The Chevy's just didn't sound the way I wanted the car to sound, so the move to the Honda. When it was finished, I re-cut, and re-made a system for the Honda using the twin Dynomax mufflers from the Chevy system, with 2 1/2in main pipes into the mufflers, and 3in. exit pipes. Kind of big for a 3.5, but it was 304 stainless, and I already had it. The car sounded quiet at idle, and glorious at open throttle, a cross between an NSX and a big 911. However, at cruise, and mid revs, ( 2K to 2800) it was pretty boomy, drony, too much so. I took it apart, re-did the pipes, and used a stock early 70's Leitritz banana muffler. Now it is too quiet! My current plan is to convert it to a sport muffler, and not having built one for 25 years, I'm asking those who have if they were able to make them without being too loud, or if a twin in, twin out is inherently going to drone. In my pile of stuff I have some 304 pipe in 2 1/2in. OD. Would this be too big for the exit side? Most sport's seem to have the exit pipes about 12-14in. apart, from the center; are there any inner chambers I can not fuch up by locating the exit pipes in a certain spot? Thanks! (photo of the Chevy system)

And a nice video of this glorious sound is where? smile.gif
tomrev
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2016, 05:37 AM) *

Interesting reading; I will stick with the banana, and probably do the usual twin pipe exits. Just hope it doesn't revert to being too loud.
rnellums
If drone in a specific Rev range is your issue look into a Helmholtz pipe. It's a flawless acoustic pipe designed to kill noise of a certain frequency. I'm going to try to implement it on my droney exhaust later this summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.