Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More new RennShift pics, I know you love pictures
brant
post Mar 30 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thats Beautiful James.
you are an asset to the community.
nice job

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Mar 30 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,449

Has anybody installed one of those shifters? How did it go? Street or track use. I want one bad (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 30 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #23

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

James, I got mine today and it will go in tomorrow. I think mine is the 4th one made so it might be a race to see if mine is the 1st installed. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
T.C.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 30 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

Chris Foley was the first to install. Who will be the first to post pics, though, 'cause that's what really counts!
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 30 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #25

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, If I had one I would install it right now. I am done with work today and am ready to work on the car. What a beautiful day it is outside. I think I will get a lot done. Too bad I dont have a new Rennshifter to install. James (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 30 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (scottb @ Mar 30 2005, 05:47 PM)
how long is the waiting list (weeks/months)?

do you need a deposit?

if there is a good time window, i could sneak enough $ away without the wife catching on and end up with one of these in the car!!!!

No deposit. The first batch is probably sold out, and it's about 2 months until I can fill any new requests.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 30 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #27

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Damn, that was quick. I try on the pictures but I have to leave for Daytona tomorrow afternoon.
T.C.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 30 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 30 2005, 06:46 PM)
Well, If I had one I would install it right now. I am done with work today and am ready to work on the car. What a beautiful day it is outside. I think I will get a lot done. Too bad I dont have a new Rennshifter to install. James (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Alright Scott, I'm putting you on my list, but it's NOT a list you want to be on... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 30 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #29

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

I'm confused James. How do I order one? Your Rennshift page does not have an "add to cart" button. If they are two months out, I need to go ahead and order now.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 30 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #30

At this point I'm not making it obvious. I did have an e-mail link on the web page but I took that down (you can still get to it on my contacts page).

I would like to get to the point of having shifters on the shelf to deliver when ordered, and the long list is not helping, so I only want those who really mean it to contact me at this point.

I do not want to take people's money until I have something to deliver in a timely manner (like a week or less), so the list is just an "interest list." When I get to your name you will be directed on how to order, if you want to at that point.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 30 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #31

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

OK. I really mean it. Does that help? Am I cctually on "the list" now? If not, please let me know what else I need to do.

I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to be sitting around ready to roll in 4 months and find myself waiting for a shifter because I didn't get on a list early enough. Your shifter has been in my plans since the first one came out.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Mar 30 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #32

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

James,
You should be very proud of your work. Thank you for sharing your talents with the 914 community.
-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Mar 30 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

Hi James,
I bought the old shifter at last years WCC and love it. How much better is the new one? Is it worth upgrading to the new one? Will you bring any to this years WCC?
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Mar 30 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #34

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

I volunteer to be the first norcal pic poster for this product. As someone who has been in the machining biz for 30 years, I am duly impressed by the worksmanship. Will keep you all posted as to performance!
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 31 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

If anyone has a hand-me-down old rennshift I'll take it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

It looks sweet, I just cant fork out the money. I have friggen tuition...
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 31 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #36

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (James Adams @ Mar 30 2005, 06:44 PM)
Chris Foley was the first to install. Who will be the first to post pics, though, 'cause that's what really counts!

I put it in while at Jake's shop,but didn't get it adjusted until I was in the car (un)ready to go out for qualifying. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
Pete worked hard to eliminate slop in the rest of the linkage but I still had some problems with missed shifts during the race. Mostly I think it was because I had it positioned too far away for quick engagement into 4th and I ended up in neutral instead. I used the lower pivot for less throw reduction. This weekend I will use the upper pivot position instead.
There is probably more adjustments I need to do to get it in just the right position for all gears too.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 31 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 30 2005, 11:49 PM)
OK. I really mean it. Does that help? Am I cctually on "the list" now? If not, please let me know what else I need to do.

I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to be sitting around ready to roll in 4 months and find myself waiting for a shifter because I didn't get on a list early enough. Your shifter has been in my plans since the first one came out.

I'm not trying to make this difficult, it's just that the response has been quite outstanding and I'm trying to accomodate my customers as best I can.

Gint - consider yourself added.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 31 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 31 2005, 07:05 AM)
I put it in while at Jake's shop,but didn't get it adjusted until I was in the car (un)ready to go out for qualifying. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
Pete worked hard to eliminate slop in the rest of the linkage but I still had some problems with missed shifts during the race. Mostly I think it was because I had it positioned too far away for quick engagement into 4th and I ended up in neutral instead. I used the lower pivot for less throw reduction. This weekend I will use the upper pivot position instead.
There is probably more adjustments I need to do to get it in just the right position for all gears too.

Chris, sorry I didn't have any instruction to go with yours - they were not written yet.

You should try the heavier springs (gold stripe) - there are spacers to go under the springs to fine tune the feel. A little lighter on the 4/5 side (that's the left spring) is better ergonomically because it is harder to push that direction than pull toward you for R/1.

Also, pull out the stick to change the pivot - there are bushings inside so you can't just swap the bolt.

You do need to get used to pushing over to 4th, but it makes the 2nd and 3rd gear shift so much better that it is worth any learning curve.

+Quote Post
JWest
post Mar 31 2005, 07:15 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 31 2005, 12:49 AM)
Hi James,
       I bought the old shifter at last years WCC and love it.  How much better is the new one?  Is it worth upgrading to the new one?  Will you bring any to this years WCC?
              Cheers,   Elliot

Shift feel is quite similar to the original - I've just added some extra features while I was back at the drawing board. I don't think it's worth changing unless one of the new features really interests you.

I'm not going to make it to WCC this year (good thing, since I have so many shifters to build (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) ), but there will be a shifter there to give away!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 31 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #40

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (James Adams @ Mar 31 2005, 08:12 AM)
You should try the heavier springs (gold stripe) - there are spacers to go under the springs to fine tune the feel. A little lighter on the 4/5 side (that's the left spring) is better ergonomically because it is harder to push that direction than pull toward you for R/1.

Also, pull out the stick to change the pivot - there are bushings inside so you can't just swap the bolt.

You do need to get used to pushing over to 4th, but it makes the 2nd and 3rd gear shift so much better that it is worth any learning curve.

Thanks James,
Those are all things we figured out. We installed the heavier spring and a spacer for the 1-2 side before the race. I think the main problem right now is the adjustment of the splined shaft, and I want to try the shorter throw as well.
I wanted a set of instructions before we started the install but it really didn't take long to figure out the correct assembly.
I'll have another report in a few days. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:43 PM