Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 1.7L D-jet to 2056 Conversion, Point me in the right direction!
CSoso
post Apr 20 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Over-analyzing one mistake at a time...

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,114
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi!

My apologies if this is a rehashed question. Being a newbie to the site, my searches returned 1000+ topics without the one I was looking for. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it and read it all there.

After much research (Thanks for the site and all your answers to my questions!) and over-analyzation, am building a 2056 on a '71 1.7L case with modified 1.7L heads and an Elgin cam. I have a running (on last legs and not original engine) '73 1.7L with stock FI in the '73 914 right now. It will be a good Father/daughter/son project with more elbow grease (with machinist friends!) than money. The goal is a nice street car to have fun with, not racing, autocrossing, etc. (Yet! Lol!)

What modifications do I need to run the D-jet on the 2056? I have 2.0 runners (I know, 3 studs vs 4... Fill, redrill, port match...) air box and plenum. I have a line on 2.0 injectors and am considering aftermarket injectors. What throttle body do I need? What parts are the same? I did find info on tuning for the bigger displacement... What am I missing?

I'm sure there are other considerations. Fire away!

Thanks!

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 20 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Stock 2.0L D-Jet intake, FI harness, injectors and all sensors. You can swap injectors but the stock injectors have plenty of flow potential. Get the 74-76 ECU and MPS. The MPS needs recalibrating, but that's about it. Best to put it on a dyno after its altogether and dial it all in perfect. Not sure how the 1.7L heads will do in that set-up.
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Apr 21 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply! So the entire new (to me!) 2.0L system, then? Somehow I was under the impression that the D-jet was a D-jet and the 2.0's had a different airbox, THrottle body, runners and bigger fuel injectors, but everything else was the same and they were just tuned different. I have a D-jet on my current 1.7L and was hoping to move the compatible pieces over to the new engine. An entire FI system would probably be more expensive than carbs. Unless someone has one sitting on a shelf they'd like to get rid of... Thanks!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 21 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(CSoso @ Apr 21 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Thanks for the reply! So the entire new (to me!) 2.0L system, then? Somehow I was under the impression that the D-jet was a D-jet and the 2.0's had a different airbox, THrottle body, runners and bigger fuel injectors, but everything else was the same and they were just tuned different. I have a D-jet on my current 1.7L and was hoping to move the compatible pieces over to the new engine. An entire FI system would probably be more expensive than carbs. Unless someone has one sitting on a shelf they'd like to get rid of... Thanks!

Most of the critical components ARE different between 1.7 Djet and 2.0 Djet. Different injectors, ECU, MPS, TPS, airbox, plenum, etc. It's the same principles and inputs, but you will want/need 2.0 versions. As Jeff said, you can use the right stock ECU but you'll probably want to tune the MPS somewhat to optimize the setup (ideally on a dyno). Off the top of my head, the things that are compatible are limited to things like the decal valve, fuel pressure regulator, T1 sensor, and AAR. There's more, I'm sure, but quite a few of the "money" items are unique between systems.

This is a great resource that you may want to study:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

You can occasionally find someone selling an entire D-Jet FI system, and, depending on your budget for carbs, it may be a similar price. If you're patient, you can get a good deal on the pieces individually or as a complete set.

+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 21 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

And this thread may also be useful:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2148573
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Apr 22 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #6

Thank you for the words, Gentlemen! Lots of good reading! I really appreciate it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I read somewhere that a vw bus throttle body is larger and and could be used for less intake restriction. Does anyone have any information on this? Like, 1) Can this be done? 2) Is it a good idea? and 3) If it's a good idea, etc., what are the part numbers, etc.?

Thanks again!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:29 AM