Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 1.7L D-jet to 2056 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CSoso
Hi!

My apologies if this is a rehashed question. Being a newbie to the site, my searches returned 1000+ topics without the one I was looking for. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it and read it all there.

After much research (Thanks for the site and all your answers to my questions!) and over-analyzation, am building a 2056 on a '71 1.7L case with modified 1.7L heads and an Elgin cam. I have a running (on last legs and not original engine) '73 1.7L with stock FI in the '73 914 right now. It will be a good Father/daughter/son project with more elbow grease (with machinist friends!) than money. The goal is a nice street car to have fun with, not racing, autocrossing, etc. (Yet! Lol!)

What modifications do I need to run the D-jet on the 2056? I have 2.0 runners (I know, 3 studs vs 4... Fill, redrill, port match...) air box and plenum. I have a line on 2.0 injectors and am considering aftermarket injectors. What throttle body do I need? What parts are the same? I did find info on tuning for the bigger displacement... What am I missing?

I'm sure there are other considerations. Fire away!

Thanks!

Chris
JeffBowlsby
Stock 2.0L D-Jet intake, FI harness, injectors and all sensors. You can swap injectors but the stock injectors have plenty of flow potential. Get the 74-76 ECU and MPS. The MPS needs recalibrating, but that's about it. Best to put it on a dyno after its altogether and dial it all in perfect. Not sure how the 1.7L heads will do in that set-up.
CSoso
Thanks for the reply! So the entire new (to me!) 2.0L system, then? Somehow I was under the impression that the D-jet was a D-jet and the 2.0's had a different airbox, THrottle body, runners and bigger fuel injectors, but everything else was the same and they were just tuned different. I have a D-jet on my current 1.7L and was hoping to move the compatible pieces over to the new engine. An entire FI system would probably be more expensive than carbs. Unless someone has one sitting on a shelf they'd like to get rid of... Thanks!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(CSoso @ Apr 21 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Thanks for the reply! So the entire new (to me!) 2.0L system, then? Somehow I was under the impression that the D-jet was a D-jet and the 2.0's had a different airbox, THrottle body, runners and bigger fuel injectors, but everything else was the same and they were just tuned different. I have a D-jet on my current 1.7L and was hoping to move the compatible pieces over to the new engine. An entire FI system would probably be more expensive than carbs. Unless someone has one sitting on a shelf they'd like to get rid of... Thanks!

Most of the critical components ARE different between 1.7 Djet and 2.0 Djet. Different injectors, ECU, MPS, TPS, airbox, plenum, etc. It's the same principles and inputs, but you will want/need 2.0 versions. As Jeff said, you can use the right stock ECU but you'll probably want to tune the MPS somewhat to optimize the setup (ideally on a dyno). Off the top of my head, the things that are compatible are limited to things like the decal valve, fuel pressure regulator, T1 sensor, and AAR. There's more, I'm sure, but quite a few of the "money" items are unique between systems.

This is a great resource that you may want to study:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

You can occasionally find someone selling an entire D-Jet FI system, and, depending on your budget for carbs, it may be a similar price. If you're patient, you can get a good deal on the pieces individually or as a complete set.

BeatNavy
And this thread may also be useful:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2148573
CSoso
Thank you for the words, Gentlemen! Lots of good reading! I really appreciate it! beerchug.gif

I read somewhere that a vw bus throttle body is larger and and could be used for less intake restriction. Does anyone have any information on this? Like, 1) Can this be done? 2) Is it a good idea? and 3) If it's a good idea, etc., what are the part numbers, etc.?

Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.