Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New member, Jumping in and looking for some direction
Pennyanguy
post Apr 20 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,921
Region Association: North East States

New Member here so this is my first post...It has been almost 30 years I have owned my 914-6. from the serial number (9140431516) I think it is # 1516? is that correct...ohh so much to learn about her that I could not fathom back when I bought her in my teens...just an hour looking through some of the posts on this site and I feel like I am swimming in Jello...its all a blur

Alas, my -6 is in sad shape now...sitting for 20 years in different storage sheds and garages...at some point I pulled the engine and have been toting that around on a Home Depot cart. Why did I do that?

A local "friend" who restores mostly English cars (MGs/Lotus/Triumphs...) took a look at her a few weeks back and is "working up" some numbers to give her a full restoration...which I expect will be extensive ...and here is the big BUT

Today...he asks me if I would be interested in selling it...he has another client that might be interested and if I am...what number would make me happy

Thank god I did not blurt out my first thought...'cause that last time I checked 914-6 values must have been 10 years ago...times seem to have changed!!!

So guys/ Gurus... I am not sure I want to sell...but am also not sure I can afford a full on restoration... doing some NET searches and it seems Nice restored 914-6s go for $50-70K and Originals fetch a good 20-30% more...but what do unrestored, numbers matching non-running cars go for?

I am located in western NY, near Rochester...seems like most of the GURUs for -6s are on the west coast...does anyone know of anyone in this area of the country to recommend for a restoration?

Either way, I now see that letting her sit in the shed to rot away is a travesty...she has to have some movement forward...so looking for some -6 advise on how to proceed

I will take a host of pics tomorrow for anyone interested...Thanks for any input anyone might have.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 20 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

Do whatever you can to keep it and do what you can afford to do a little at a time and get it back into shape and then drive the piss out of it!

There was a "barn find" a while back that sold for $35K on ebay if I recall, and it wasn't pretty.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 20 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Pennyanguy @ Apr 20 2016, 08:54 PM) *

New Member here so this is my first post...It has been almost 30 years I have owned my 914-6. from the serial number (9140431516) I think it is # 1516? is that correct...ohh so much to learn about her that I could not fathom back when I bought her in my teens...just an hour looking through some of the posts on this site and I feel like I am swimming in Jello...its all a blur

Alas, my -6 is in sad shape now...sitting for 20 years in different storage sheds and garages...at some point I pulled the engine and have been toting that around on a Home Depot cart. Why did I do that?

A local "friend" who restores mostly English cars (MGs/Lotus/Triumphs...) took a look at her a few weeks back and is "working up" some numbers to give her a full restoration...which I expect will be extensive ...and here is the big BUT

Today...he asks me if I would be interested in selling it...he has another client that might be interested and if I am...what number would make me happy

Thank god I did not blurt out my first thought...'cause that last time I checked 914-6 values must have been 10 years ago...times seem to have changed!!!

So guys/ Gurus... I am not sure I want to sell...but am also not sure I can afford a full on restoration... doing some NET searches and it seems Nice restored 914-6s go for $50-70K and Originals fetch a good 20-30% more...but what do unrestored, numbers matching non-running cars go for?

I am located in western NY, near Rochester...seems like most of the GURUs for -6s are on the west coast...does anyone know of anyone in this area of the country to recommend for a restoration?

Either way, I now see that letting her sit in the shed to rot away is a travesty...she has to have some movement forward...so looking for some -6 advise on how to proceed

I will take a host of pics tomorrow for anyone interested...Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Post the pics.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 20 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I would resort it, and keep it. But, I love 914s and a /6 is the best one to own.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 20 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

20-40k restoration project.

Probably cost 20-40k to restore it with a checkbook and no DIY?

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 20 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Got money in a 401K? This is another investment "vehicle". You have put in the long haul here. Hopefully no rust, or minimal. The prices aren't going down. Short an economic downturn (which will affect your 401K also).
If you can restore it and get some enjoyment out of it or just put a stupid money price tag on it. No really, stupid money, you may be surprised. Unless you are strapped for cash go long.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Apr 21 2016, 05:02 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,509

Before doing anything with the car,
except taking pictures and posting them here maybe..
You need someone that knows what they are looking at to
see the car in person and check it's current condition.

There are members here that live in your general area..
People like LukeM who can at least aim you in the right direction
if he can't look at the car himself. He may see this thread and
comment or you could try sending him a PM and ask what he thinks.

Then, after knowing exactly what you have... make an informed decision.
First step should be getting information....

Take your time... Don't be rushed into anything..

just my 2 cents..
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Apr 21 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would agree about getting some more information. Don't rush to put a number together for the prospective buyer. It's a sellers market for these, if/when you're informed and ready to sell there will be people ready to buy it.

Seeing as it is a numbers matching -6, if it were me I'd invest what I could to restore it.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 21 2016, 05:42 AM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Pennyanguy @ Apr 20 2016, 11:54 PM) *

As others have said..post pictures. If the car is complete, original engine and not folded in half you can get $30k+ on ebay all day long.

It only gets better from there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 21 2016, 06:15 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you love the car, keep it, fix it, there are more resources than ever to help you get it done.
If you just want to trade it in for money, 6's are at there highest ever, you will make some cash.
Either way, your in the driver seat, you just have to decide the next step.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 21 2016, 06:46 AM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

All great advice. Post pictures - complete exterior, all of the doors and trunks open and interior shots of trunks, door jams, trunk floors, engine compartment, the bottom of the car showing the suspension attachment points, the area where the battery is/was when new, etc.

Post some good quality pictures and people here with experience will chime in on condition and value.

Glad you did not throw out a price when asked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Apr 21 2016, 07:05 AM
Post #12

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Congrats on making such a wise purchase 30-some years ago. The first thing I'd do is edit your thread title to include "-6". You'll get more interest.

Don't be in a rush to decide a course of action now that you've rediscovered your 914. Do you remember how much fun it was to drive? How great it sounded? What a thrill it was on a twisty road with the top stowed in the trunk? No doubt you can cash in with the car the way it sits, but the first step is to get an expert opinion on the state of the car: what will it take to get it on the road? what will it take to restore? what's it worth at either juncture? You can learn a lot right here just by posting extensive photos of the car.

Good luck. You've got a 'barn find' 914-6 that you already own!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 21 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Put together a comprehensive plan to restore it properly and document everything. You will have a great car, a show piece, and a great investment at the end of the day. Welcome!

+Quote Post
bretth
post Apr 21 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wish I was closer, would love to see. Can't wait for the pics.

Brett
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 21 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

One of my favorite customers is in Penn Yan.
White late model with license plate Java Lady.
You may know the Frigulliettes as the owners of Java Gourmet.
:-)

Edit: I forgot to mention, we did all the metal and mechanical restoration work on an original six last year which hadn't been operated in more than20 years.
It was in really rough shape when it arrived.
When it left here the owner took it to a body shop in his local area for repaint.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Apr 21 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 21 2016, 04:02 AM) *

Before doing anything with the car,
except taking pictures and posting them here maybe..
You need someone that knows what they are looking at to
see the car in person and check it's current condition.

There are members here that live in your general area..
People like LukeM who can at least aim you in the right direction
if he can't look at the car himself. He may see this thread and
comment or you could try sending him a PM and ask what he thinks.

Then, after knowing exactly what you have... make an informed decision.
First step should be getting information....

Take your time... Don't be rushed into anything..

just my 2 cents..

You're wise to not want the car to further languish. Gandalf, and others, nailed it. You'll have no trouble selling the car as-is, should you chose to do so. My personal, admittedly biased, recommendation is to keep the car and restore as you can afford. I highly doubt you'll ever regret doing so. That said, restorations aren't cheap and shortcuts will cost you more long-term. Find a restoration shop with lots of experience, a well-known reputation for quality workmanship, and preferably with emphasis on early Porsches. 914 familiarity is a big plus, because even the early 911 experts sometimes scratch their heads over a 914. Pick up a copy of Johnson's 914 restoration and authenticity guide. Although there are some ambiguities and minor errors, it'll be very helpful and it's fun to read while you're waiting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Take your time, carefully plan, and (very important) decide on the level of restoration you want and can afford. Top-tier restorations can easily exceed $60K, and that's *without* structural, major rust, and/or other critical needs. Some dash 6-specific parts are becoming impossible or almost impossible to source. (Try looking for original -6 GT rear brake rotors sometime, for example.) Expect the restoration to take time if you go to a quality shop. A good shop will be in demand and take their time to get it right. Think of it as dealing with an artist. I'm 2 years into what's basically become an almost bare metal restoration and I started with a relatively rust-free body and zero structural issues. I hope to be done this summer. I'll be underwater for a very long time, but that's not the point. It's a labor of love. Short of major social and economic changes, you shouldn't have any problem selling down the road either, if you should so decide and as long as you're not expecting to make a profit. Please feel free to PM me, if you want more info on my own experience.

- MR
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 21 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #17

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Keep it. Pay someone to restore, replace, or just fix the engine. Then drive it!!!
Can you operate a 13mm open ended wrench? Phillips screw driver? Some of the restoration work you can do, and should, as it is very satisfying as a project and is much less than paying for the labor.
Others will disagree, but I don't see why/how folks ship their car away, never see it or drive it, then cut a $40k check to get something so nice it makes driving it too risky. I could never be happy owning a Garage Queen (unless I had another 914 to race and rally!!).

I envy your "problem"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 21 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here is the reality.. Of you sell it now that's it .. In most likely hood you will never own another.. They are starting to get unreal money and most people can't afford to pay retail for them.. I know a member here that owns 7 or 8 of them bought them all at the right price. He openly admits he probably couldn't afford to go buy one now..

There are some really great people out there that do restorations for reasonable prices. Do it at your own pace and do a good assessment with the help of members here. There is a guy on the forum doing a great job on restorations and I think he is on the east coast.. Even working on mikeys car from 914rubber..

I would be happy to help if you were closer to me..
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 21 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I personally do NOT like to look at cars as an investment. They're worth whatever they're worth to you... and in your case there must be some sentimental value.

That being said, if the car isn't terribly rusted, and you choose the correct, original replacement parts or ways to restore them, you almost cannot lose out on this one. If you invest 20-30k, you'll likely double, maybe triple that if you sell it. Get the very best paint job you can buy from someone like Scotty B at Kahiko Restorations, have the wheels redone, buy every seal you can find at 914Rubber.com, brakes from PMB Performance, have the transmission freshened up by Dr. Evil, and a reputable engine builder like Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing or Joe O'Brien at Series 9 go through the engine, and you'd likely be in the 30K range, maybe a little more. But you will have a best of the best restoration worth some serious cash. And you can do the reassembly yourself with pretty damn simple tools.

Or, you could do this. Rent a trailer, bring the car over to Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing in CT, who is pretty close to you. He'll give you a very honest estimate of what kind of budget it'll take to get a 10/10 car, or 9/10, etc. He works with us poor folks just as much as he works on high end stuff. And he KNOWs his stuff.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 21 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have had 3 914-6's over the years. I keeping kicking myself for selling them. I would look at as investment a this stage. Spend the money and fix it. When the fun goes away, it will be time to sell.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:14 AM