Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smog law change?, Is it real?
jeffdon
post Apr 20 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

A friend of mine just told me he heard that the California state senate just passed a bill that would move the smog test to 80 and newer cars. State assembly needs to pass it.

Is this for real?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 20 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

1880, yes
Or was it an 80 year rolling window....
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Apr 20 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

My understanding is that it has been voted out of the senate transportation committee and referred back to the senate appropriation committee. It has not yet reached the senate floor for a vote. After senate approval it would be on to the state assembly and for committee approvals and finally an assembly vote. If it makes it through those steps it will finally meet Jerry Brown's signature before it would become law.

Don't get your hopes up yet for the 1976 teeners.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 20 2016, 11:24 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I've heard nada - and I own a smog shop...
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Apr 21 2016, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,218

I wouldn’t get too excited. California has changed inspection requirements, and then changed them back a couple of years later. An awful lot of very nice rust free cars have been crushed because the owners thought they’d never need smog equipment again only to have the State change the inspection requirements back…
+Quote Post
post Apr 21 2016, 02:39 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Apr 20 2016, 09:41 PM) *

My understanding is that it has been voted out of the senate transportation committee and referred back to the senate appropriation committee. It has not yet reached the senate floor for a vote. After senate approval it would be on to the state assembly and for committee approvals and finally an assembly vote. If it makes it through those steps it will finally meet Jerry Brown's signature before it would become law.

Don't get your hopes up yet for the 1976 teeners.

Dont HOLD your Breath...we live in California where common sense does not prevail.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 21 2016, 05:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,103

New Inspection ruling in New Jersey.
No smog test for any vehicle prior to 1995.
You no longer have to have the vehicle inspected.
You are instructed to remove the inspection sticker.
This for vehicles that don't already have Historic (QQ) plates.
Of course you could be inspected on the spot from a policeman if he pulls you over for a broken tail light or something.

Dave
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Apr 21 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

One of the reasons I love Minnesota, no smog inspections ever.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 21 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

There's been lobbying, but I'll believe it when I see it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 21 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 21 2016, 10:07 AM) *

There were inspections. The state actually had its own smog test facilities. Huge drive through affairs. Very efficient. I believe Jesse Ventura shut them down.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 21 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

QUOTE(dcheek @ Apr 21 2016, 06:44 AM) *

New Inspection ruling in New Jersey.
No smog test for any vehicle prior to 1995.

Same for the People's Republic of Connecticut. Rolling 20-yr waivers, everything 96 and later is a simple OBD check for codes. Soon they won't need the roller dynos any more.

Every once in a while CT gets it right.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 21 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Apr 21 2016, 12:33 AM) *

I wouldn’t get too excited. California has changed inspection requirements, and then changed them back a couple of years later. An awful lot of very nice rust free cars have been crushed because the owners thought they’d never need smog equipment again only to have the State change the inspection requirements back…

Except that exemption from testing never meant you could go ahead and take all the smog equipment that came on a car off of it anyway. When I first moved to LA in the 80's you could not see across the San Fernando Valley at noon, I'm not sure I am eager to trade breathing for someone's right to drive a poorly maintained '79 Toyota pickup.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 21 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 21 2016, 10:51 AM) *

There were inspections. The state actually had its own smog test facilities. Huge drive through affairs. Very efficient. I believe Jesse Ventura shut them down.

Correct, we had emission testing facilities. While it was very efficient, it was still a PITA.

While I love Minnesota, I also hate Minnesota for killing so many 914's with road salt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 21 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 21 2016, 09:21 AM) *

Except that exemption from testing never meant you could go ahead and take all the smog equipment that came on a car off of it anyway. When I first moved to LA in the 80's you could not see across the San Fernando Valley at noon, I'm not sure I am eager to trade breathing for someone's right to drive a poorly maintained '79 Toyota pickup.

I pretty much agree. The argument though is there aren't that many '79 Toyota pickups on the road. There are so few older cars on the road nowadays, I don't think it really makes a dent in the air pollution problem. Am I wrong?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 21 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 21 2016, 08:51 AM) *

Kentucky had the same "efficient" drive through inspection stations. Large cinder block buildings with five or six bays with chassis dyno type test equipment. I found out that they were ALL owned by the same person. Nice huh? They shut them all down years ago.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 21 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 21 2016, 07:07 AM) *

I encourage everyone to stay in Minnesota or what ever their home state is. California is a horrible place to live. Don't even think of coming here. And if you're thinking of leaving, take as many with you as you can. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sbsix
post Apr 21 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #17

only the lead dog enjoys a change in scenery...

Member No.: 13,990

If I remember, the guy who spearheaded the smog exemption law for older cars in CA was John Burton, a member of the state legislature. I heard that it was because he owned a 914-6 and couldn't get it to pass the smog rules in place at the time.

I do remember the headache of trying to get my 914-6 to pass smog in CA back then. I hired an environmental engineer with emissions measuring equipment to adjust the carbs & advance to just pass the minimum thresholds at idle and 2500 rpm, then immediately hook it up to the state connected emissions tester to get my smog certificate. This usually took 4-6 hours of us fiddling with the tune of the car. Afterwards I had to completely change the carb settings and advance to get it to run properly and drive it home. Every two years.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 21 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE( @ Apr 21 2016, 09:37 AM) *

I pretty much agree. The argument though is there aren't that many '79 Toyota pickups on the road. There are so few older cars on the road nowadays, I don't think it really makes a dent in the air pollution problem. Am I wrong?

Sort of.....it is the federal law that has eluded compliance for at least the LA Basin.

It is the shear amount of cars that are here that is the problem. Now instead of NO being the major problem it is O3 that is out of compliance with the Clean Air Act. It is WAY better than when I was a kid. Then there were days you couldn.t breathe or see the mountains which were less than a mile away. The dyno testing was changed recently to exempt cars 1999 and later. No dyno.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 21 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #19

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

For all the strong opinions against electric cars, it's the LA area that is just such a perfect micro climate to require electric cArs just to be able to see and breathe properly.

It always makes me scratch my head when I hear CA people against the electric car industry when the smog is crazy bad.

As far as the smog testing goes, in the northeast most of the older cars are now gone, between the cash for clunkers program and the smog testing on the dyno....then the mandatory requirement of no rust showing....oh, and zero percent financing...

All of that killed off all the 70,s and 80,s cars...
Salt was probably the number one killer, but the rest finished off the stockpile.

In CA it will take longer because cars last forever....

It sucks, but it really is a good thing.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 21 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 21 2016, 09:37 AM) *

Maybe not except for those driven by gardeners pool cleaners and those guys who hire out to haul off trash cheaply. Perhaps an exemption based on low mileage driven, kind of like the mileage limits on classic car insurance?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:17 PM