Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Different year rear calipers, the same?
LukeD
post Mar 30 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,117
Region Association: None

I have a 70 with original calipers, I am going to send them to Eric Shea next week. My question is, I have a 75 parts car and I would like to keep my 70 semi drivable sooooo, can I send the 75 calipers to Eric and then when I get them back will they bolt right on to the 70? Also, Pelican sells those "Speed Bleeder Valves" are they highly recommended?
Or should I invest in one of those $45 power bleeders?

Luke D
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 30 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

IIRC they are not identical, however they can be mixed-and-matched with no problems. The only difference I think is that the early has top and bottom bleeder valves while the late only has the top ones. Or I may have that backwards.

Speed bleeders are recommended by a number of people who have them. I haven't installed mine yet... Other folks like the power bleeder. Some sickos probably have both. (At least one really sick person has both speed bleeders and a power bleeder and has yet to use either of them.)

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 31 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #3

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I have both, and much prefer the speed bleeders. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

-Rusty (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 31 2005, 07:26 AM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Early '70-Mid '73....single bleeder top

Late Late '73 - "76.....dual bleeders, but no one has determined the need for the bottom bleeder (maybe flushing the system)

Functionality....the same

Production rebuilders drill the single bleeders for the bottom bleeder, but they don't really know why.
+Quote Post
davep
post Mar 31 2005, 08:07 AM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

There are some internal differences also, however they are functionally the same. No problem in mixing the calipers.

My belief is that draining the calipers during bleeding is a good idea. Flush fluid from the reservoir to each caliper to ensure fresh fluid is at each caliper. Then drain to get all the old fluid out; otherwise old fluid will remain inside the pistons, particularly on the outboard side. You have to realize that the fluid inlet and bleed nipples are very closely coupled. The fuild will take the shortest path, and that does not include the outer caliper half at all. A simple bleed will never change the fluid in the outer caliper half. The adjuster mechanism in the calipers does an excellent job of trapping old fluid. Only by removing the pistons and rinsing with alcohol can you do a perfect job. Just like stale gas can ruin an engine, so can old fluid ruin a caliper. While this may be critical for racers, a complete job every few years for a street car is adequate.
+Quote Post
LukeD
post Mar 31 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,117

Thanks for the great info, I have decided to send Eric the ones off my 75 parts car.

Luke D
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 03:31 AM