Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different year rear calipers, the same?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I have a 70 with original calipers, I am going to send them to Eric Shea next week. My question is, I have a 75 parts car and I would like to keep my 70 semi drivable sooooo, can I send the 75 calipers to Eric and then when I get them back will they bolt right on to the 70? Also, Pelican sells those "Speed Bleeder Valves" are they highly recommended?
Or should I invest in one of those $45 power bleeders?

Luke D
Dave_Darling
IIRC they are not identical, however they can be mixed-and-matched with no problems. The only difference I think is that the early has top and bottom bleeder valves while the late only has the top ones. Or I may have that backwards.

Speed bleeders are recommended by a number of people who have them. I haven't installed mine yet... Other folks like the power bleeder. Some sickos probably have both. (At least one really sick person has both speed bleeders and a power bleeder and has yet to use either of them.)

--DD
Rusty
I have both, and much prefer the speed bleeders. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
SLITS
Early '70-Mid '73....single bleeder top

Late Late '73 - "76.....dual bleeders, but no one has determined the need for the bottom bleeder (maybe flushing the system)

Functionality....the same

Production rebuilders drill the single bleeders for the bottom bleeder, but they don't really know why.
davep
agree.gif

There are some internal differences also, however they are functionally the same. No problem in mixing the calipers.

My belief is that draining the calipers during bleeding is a good idea. Flush fluid from the reservoir to each caliper to ensure fresh fluid is at each caliper. Then drain to get all the old fluid out; otherwise old fluid will remain inside the pistons, particularly on the outboard side. You have to realize that the fluid inlet and bleed nipples are very closely coupled. The fuild will take the shortest path, and that does not include the outer caliper half at all. A simple bleed will never change the fluid in the outer caliper half. The adjuster mechanism in the calipers does an excellent job of trapping old fluid. Only by removing the pistons and rinsing with alcohol can you do a perfect job. Just like stale gas can ruin an engine, so can old fluid ruin a caliper. While this may be critical for racers, a complete job every few years for a street car is adequate.
LukeD
Thanks for the great info, I have decided to send Eric the ones off my 75 parts car.

Luke D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.