Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best to repaint in original colors?, Total re-spray
Amphicar770
post Apr 23 2016, 06:43 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Original colors will generally always be worth more. That said, are you doing the car for yourself to enjoy, to resell and make money, or for the next owner?

Silver looks great but its your car so do with it as you please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Apr 23 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 23 2016, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 23 2016, 07:44 AM) *

I also think the color change or not to change issue has a lot to do with the quality of workmanship. If a color change is in the cards, then everything needs to be removed and or masked off.

Just like anything, if the work is shoddy it will effect value.....

One exception is the colour change on my 914.

My teen was white the PO changed it to orange. They did take of the doors and did the jams and doors, but on the trunks and engine bay everything was masked off. The lids were painted wrapped around to the to the bend seams.
The white trunk interiors actually look real cool, in fact my non-914 friends I've shown it to just thought the factory did this.

It would be quite easy to return it to the factory white colour. But this could only be done on a white or black 914.

So then it would be acceptable to take a white 914 and paint the outside a white mother of pearl?
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 23 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

As far as mother of pearl, any 914 aficionado would know right away that it isn't a true 914 color.

To me, if you changed your color, you would have to do a TOTAL repaint and do it in a 914 Porsche color.

Adriatic blue is a great color, and you should take a long look at some cars in in that color. Slate gray is a great Porsche color too, but I don't think that 914s came in that color. I think you could probably order a custom color and wait for it from the factory at the time, but I'm sure that not too many people ordered the cars that way.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 23 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #24

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Generally speaking with any classic cars Rick, it is better to keep the original color on them, & better for value - unless it's a resto-mod, which changes the value more anyway.

You can always dress it up with the 74 MY Porsche negative side script (like on the silver one above), &/or with some tasteful hand-painted old school pin striping in accent colors of your liking along the fenders & doors F-to-R - either of which can be removed later.

If changing colors from factory issue with any classic car, then it's better to change to another period correct color from the MY of that make & model.

I wrestle with it myself - my being a blue car guy, & my 73 2L being an OE light ivory.

As others have said - ultimately it's your car & your money, but be aware of what the consequences of your decision are.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
earossi
post Apr 23 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Choice of paint depends on what you plan to do with your 914. If you intend to restore the car retaining all the originality of the car, then it is probably more practical to choose an original Porsche color, with preference given to the car's original color.

However, if you intend to modify the car, as I did into a 916 style car with early bumpers, then you might want to consider a non=stock color. Personally, I spent weeks looking at pictures of cars in original colors and though I "liked" several stock colors, I could never get excited about them. Then one day, I had my BMW at the dealership for service, and while waundering the showroom floor came upon an M3 convertible finished in a brilliant blue metallic with a red interior that blew my socks off.

Today, I am probably the only owner of a 914 with a blue exterior over a red interior. I can not tell you how many compliments I get about the cars finish. It's been a year since I painted it, and I'm still in love with the choice.

But, if you do choose to change the color from original, whether it be to another 914 standard color or to a wild departure such as mine, be sure to paint the trunks and engine compartment. Its horrible, in my opinion, to show off the paint on your car when the trunks are different and clash with your exterior.
+Quote Post
brooks944
post Apr 23 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,139
Region Association: South East States

Thanks guys. I do like the scarlet red on my '75 (which I'll have to sell to complete the '74 restoration...) but think I will stick with the factory color. That should be easier on the paint and body guy. Even though all the windows and trim etc. are removed I don't think a color change will ever be factory looking like keeping the OE color.
Rick
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 23 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #27

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Surprised no one suggested this, but you could paint it the factory colour and if you want a change you could DIP your car, or wrap it in vinyl.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 04:26 PM