Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back-up Lights Not working, Where is the Switch???
dagdal1967
post Jun 18 2003, 10:42 AM
Post #1

What are YOU looking at...

Group: Members
Member No.: 423

Hey.

I've finally got most of the kinks worked out of my car, but one is giving me problems.

The backup lights aren't working. I've checked the bulbs and fuses and they're fine, so now I'm wondering if its the backup light switch.

I don't really know where to look for the switch. Is it burried deep within the transmission or is it up near the Gear Shift in the linkage?

Are there any other things I should check? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks in advance.

Doug
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Demick
post Jun 18 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

The switch is on the transmission on the left side right near where the shift linkage attaches on a side shift transmission. You will see 2 wires plugged into the switch (or in your case, maybe they are not plugged in and that might be your problem). I think the switches are pretty reliable, but it could be the switch, or it could be the plunger that pushes the switch from the inside. I believe you can remove the switch without draining the tranny. Take out the switch, make sure there is a plunger behind it. Test the switch. Should be able to find the problem there somewhere.

Demick
'74 2.0
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 18 2003, 06:02 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

A quick switch test: unplug the two wires to the switch, ignition on, touch them together and see if lights turn on. If so, switch is the problem. If no lights, use test lamp or meter to determine in you have voltage in one of the wires. If not, problem is before the switch. If you have juice at the switch, problem is after switch (wiring, bulbs, bulb socket contacts).
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 18 2003, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think what usually happens is that the plunger wears on one end and gets shorter. Then it's not long enough to push in the switch anymore. At least that is what happened on my 914 and a friend's. A few bucks at your local Porsche dealer and you're all set.
+Quote Post
dagdal1967
post Jun 19 2003, 12:09 PM
Post #5

What are YOU looking at...

Member No.: 423

Turns out that one of the wires under the rubber cover wasn't plugged into the switch at all.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

After I plugged it back in and tested the lights again, (and replaced one of the bulbs) everything was fine!!!! (thanks Demick)

Now, getting the rear springs replaced... Should be the final thing to get it to A1 condition...

WOOHOOOO!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Thanks

Doug
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 13 2005, 07:01 AM
Post #6

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ok, here's digging up a WAY old topic! But you just get yelled at if you start a new one and don't search first!

My backup light will only turn on if the clutch is all the way out. Which is pretty annoying, as I don't kow that I've ever not had a clutch pushed in a LITTLE BIT when backing up.

Any thoughts? Is it my plunger, or is there an adjustment?

+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post May 13 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think what usually happens is that the plunger wears on one end and gets shorter. Then it's not long enough to push in the switch anymore. At least that is what happened on my 914 and a friend's. A few bucks at your local Porsche dealer and you're all set.

"Partsman" is a member of this board and a Parts Manager at a Porsche dealership. Anyone needing dealer supplied stuff and not close to a local dealer can contact him. Friendly person and very knowledgeable.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:41 PM