Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back-up Lights Not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Hey.

I've finally got most of the kinks worked out of my car, but one is giving me problems.

The backup lights aren't working. I've checked the bulbs and fuses and they're fine, so now I'm wondering if its the backup light switch.

I don't really know where to look for the switch. Is it burried deep within the transmission or is it up near the Gear Shift in the linkage?

Are there any other things I should check? sad.gif

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Demick
The switch is on the transmission on the left side right near where the shift linkage attaches on a side shift transmission. You will see 2 wires plugged into the switch (or in your case, maybe they are not plugged in and that might be your problem). I think the switches are pretty reliable, but it could be the switch, or it could be the plunger that pushes the switch from the inside. I believe you can remove the switch without draining the tranny. Take out the switch, make sure there is a plunger behind it. Test the switch. Should be able to find the problem there somewhere.

Demick
'74 2.0
Porsche Rescue
A quick switch test: unplug the two wires to the switch, ignition on, touch them together and see if lights turn on. If so, switch is the problem. If no lights, use test lamp or meter to determine in you have voltage in one of the wires. If not, problem is before the switch. If you have juice at the switch, problem is after switch (wiring, bulbs, bulb socket contacts).
mightyohm
I think what usually happens is that the plunger wears on one end and gets shorter. Then it's not long enough to push in the switch anymore. At least that is what happened on my 914 and a friend's. A few bucks at your local Porsche dealer and you're all set.
dagdal1967
Turns out that one of the wires under the rubber cover wasn't plugged into the switch at all.. headbang.gif

After I plugged it back in and tested the lights again, (and replaced one of the bulbs) everything was fine!!!! (thanks Demick)

Now, getting the rear springs replaced... Should be the final thing to get it to A1 condition...

WOOHOOOO!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif

Thanks

Doug
CptTripps
Ok, here's digging up a WAY old topic! But you just get yelled at if you start a new one and don't search first!

My backup light will only turn on if the clutch is all the way out. Which is pretty annoying, as I don't kow that I've ever not had a clutch pushed in a LITTLE BIT when backing up.

Any thoughts? Is it my plunger, or is there an adjustment?

gregrobbins
I think what usually happens is that the plunger wears on one end and gets shorter. Then it's not long enough to push in the switch anymore. At least that is what happened on my 914 and a friend's. A few bucks at your local Porsche dealer and you're all set.

"Partsman" is a member of this board and a Parts Manager at a Porsche dealership. Anyone needing dealer supplied stuff and not close to a local dealer can contact him. Friendly person and very knowledgeable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.