Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What kind of Cylinders are these?, I bought a 914 with Nickies, but not sure what I received.
post May 4 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(2mAn @ May 4 2016, 04:55 PM) *

saw the engine fire picture and have been skeptical when I see his ads on
I also dont want chinese crap. Its all new to me

I feel the same with some of the products being made out of this country. But under the current state of economics, most are made over seas. Unless you want to step up for an "USA" made ...but it might cost you three to four times more.
I'm not sure that might be in your expendable income.
Good luck with your search search.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HansJan
post May 4 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry, it appears that I have to recall the message about the cylinders being the correct size. Just recieved an email from AA rep, explaning that I measured in wrong place. At the moment I still dont know what Size they are.

This is the medsage recieved from AA. Could anyone here decypher it? Im trying to find the cylinder size without disassembling the engine/heads.

Hello Hans

You got that number form the top of the liners not the bottom right? It was the head size? And you want to try to get it in between the head and the liner it can’t be in between fins it’s a different reading there..

Yes it’s an AA liner but what pitons can be someone elses you will not know until its pulled apart..
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 4 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #83

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If you look at some of the pictures in this thread, I believe what they are asking you to measure is the outer diameter of the liner/cylinder where it goes into the head.
That will be the honest outer diameter of the cylinder.

If you measure in between the cooling fins you will be measuring casting material which won't be consistent and won't be a number they could use.

Look at the pics in this thread....there is a 1/4 in tall exposed area on the top of the cylinder that fits into the head. The cylinders don't sit down tight in the heads, so you should be able to get a tool in between the top fin and the head.
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post May 4 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 16,628
Region Association: None

I remember this car was for sale for 9k 2 years ago. Then I think the engine blew up and it showed up 6 months later for 11k . The seller is a joke.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 4 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #85

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Nickies or not and those are not, you don't want 103mm cylinders. Very few can build that engine without making more heat than power.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 5 2016, 05:04 AM
Post #86

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Pop a head off and measure, there are no head gaskets on a 103, being AA I would doubt head gaskets anyways. At worse you will need new pushrod seals. $1 ea so $16 full set both sides. From what you are being told you should install new rings, about $80 from EMW.

If they are 103mm, the heads and case are machined, so you can't go back to smaller pistons.

A EMW NiCaSil set with JE pistons will run you $1300, I've never seen them so I can't comment on quality. LN Nickies are the best, but they are also $3400 plus the ARP head studs. So re-ringing what you have and understanding that this engine has a limited lifespan may be you best solution in the short term.

If you can't afford the nickies then I suggest putting this engine back together and start looking for a new project engine.
Or put this engine together and start saving for nickies. But I'd want to know what heads, condition of the long block, etc. before I when this route.
In the interim you can often find a 1.7/1.8 running engine for cheap.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 5 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #87

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Go back to the original posters 1st post, second paragraph.

"The car caught on fire"

I would think this issue needs to be made right and the buyer needs to be made whole before he starts on a new project engine.
+Quote Post
post May 5 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:34 AM