Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oily Trigger Points, Need disty advice
saigon71
post May 9 2016, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

1974 D-Jet, 2056CC.

I pulled my disty apart two years ago to clean and grease it. Ever since then, about every 800-1000 miles, the engine starts to run poorly. The cause, oily trigger points. I pull the trigger points, replace them with a set pre-cleaned with denatured alcohol and drive problem free until it happens again.

For quite a while, I thought I used too much grease on the top when lubing it and it was leaking down and fouling the trigger points. Now, I'm pretty sure the oil is coming up from the engine side and causing the problem.

Disty to case seal is brand new.

I just took the disty apart again. From top to bottom, there is a fiber ring then two steel washers. After the shaft passes through the disty, there is one fiber washer, then one steel washer before the drive pinion. Is this layout correct?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Any other suggestions on the subject would be appreciated. Swapping trigger points and re-timing the engine every 1K miles is getting old.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 01:57 PM