Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oily Trigger Points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
1974 D-Jet, 2056CC.

I pulled my disty apart two years ago to clean and grease it. Ever since then, about every 800-1000 miles, the engine starts to run poorly. The cause, oily trigger points. I pull the trigger points, replace them with a set pre-cleaned with denatured alcohol and drive problem free until it happens again.

For quite a while, I thought I used too much grease on the top when lubing it and it was leaking down and fouling the trigger points. Now, I'm pretty sure the oil is coming up from the engine side and causing the problem.

Disty to case seal is brand new.

I just took the disty apart again. From top to bottom, there is a fiber ring then two steel washers. After the shaft passes through the disty, there is one fiber washer, then one steel washer before the drive pinion. Is this layout correct?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Any other suggestions on the subject would be appreciated. Swapping trigger points and re-timing the engine every 1K miles is getting old.

Thanks!
r_towle
How is your PCv valve.
If I recall correctly, the oil pressure in that location should not b that high.
So.....maybe look at the case pressure and venting system.
ejm
Disty to case seal is brand new.

Nothing to do with your problem
Oil on the trigger points was a problem the factory recognized. Later trigger points have a tab that deflects oil from getting on them. Lets see a pic of yours. The fiber and steel washers are for thrust, the spiral cut in the shaft should control oil coming up from the crankcase. But like Rich said, crankcase pressure will force oil out of any and everywhere. Pulling the dist with the adj bracket saves having to re-time the engine.
saigon71
Here is a pic of my trigger points, I'm guessing the set on the right is the "improved" one, designed to keep oil off the points.

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Does anyone have a link to the PET diagram for the distributor? Pelican references a felt washer (and I don't have one). Additionally, I'd like to verify the position of the steel and thrust washers. Only the top half of their diagram shows up on the page.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...butor_small.htm
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 10 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Does anyone have a link to the PET diagram for the distributor? Pelican references a felt washer (and I don't have one). Additionally, I'd like to verify the position of the steel and thrust washers. Only the top half of their diagram shows up on the page.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...butor_small.htm

I believe there is one in the Porsche shop manuals, I will check when I get home and let you know what I find
saigon71
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2016, 07:47 PM) *

How is your PCv valve.
If I recall correctly, the oil pressure in that location should not b that high.
So.....maybe look at the case pressure and venting system.

I tested the PCV valve during rebuild with the very scientific "suck test." It seemed to be in order...may be worth replacing if I can find a new one.
r_towle
I drilled mine out long ago smile.gif
Puebloswatcop
Hopefully this will help you out with the problem.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Let me know if you need more info
saigon71
Thank you for posting the PET. It's interesting that they only show the bottom fiber & steel washers. dry.gif
saigon71
It's prime driving season, so it is painful to have the car down for more than a day or two. evilgrin.gif

Took a look at everything with fresh eyes last night and think I found a few problems. My upper fiber washer was originally installed above the steel ones. According to the PET posted by Puebloswatcop the fiber washer (at least the lower one) should ride against the distributor housing. I moved the top one down, below the top two washers so it will ride on the housing.

I installed the set of trigger points with the "guards" on them.

Additionally, my felt tab that rides against the distributor shaft was shot. It was sideways in the disty when I pulled it apart.

Picked up a self-adhesive furniture felt kit, pop-rivets and washers at Home Depot to rebuild the felt tab. I had to trim a little off the washer for clearance, but I think it will do the trick.

I'm still running a cracked, but intact fiber washer until I get the parts, but I think this may help. Thanks 914world! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Astro turf in the distributor?
nordfisch
Hello,
in our D-Jetronic-forum someone just has disassembled a Bosch D-Jetronic - distributor (Mercedes-type).

He carefully casted out the sleeve bearing and found a shaft sealing ring beneath it.

Most likely that is the same in your distributor.

You will not get rid of the oil-problem without changing this sealing ring.

The felt part is only for regreasing the d-jet-camshaft and the fibre blocks a little bit - not for taking off that oil.

Here is the link towards the topic - sorry, German only: https://oldtimer.tips/en/forum2/ignition/43...n?start=20#4085
But you can communicate in Englsh there, too...

Regards
Norbert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.