Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pope John Paul II, God rest his soul
thomasotten
post Apr 2 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

Well, today was the first day that I was able to work on my car in a long time. The sun finally came out here on a Saturday. I was outside welding up some rust holes in the rear lid, when the news came.
My wife gave me the news that the Pope had passed away. I immediatley went inside to watch the coverage.

When I met me wife back in '91, I wasn't Catholic. It was in many ways his shining example of what it truly means to live the life of grace that our Lord wants for everyone, that eventually led me into the Catholic Church. The only car I had back then was my 914, and I used to drive it to Mass every Sunday. One time it even broke down at church!

Things change over time, you meet new friends, you change jobs. But the Pope has always been there like a rock. I am too young to remember any other Pope. I feel a deep sense of loss, but I am comforted by one of the overriding themes of his papacy - fear not!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Apr 2 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

Its a sad day..
+Quote Post
Hydra
post Apr 2 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Quia nominor LEO

Member No.: 3,261

A great man indeed.
God rest his soul

Nick
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 2 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

I am not Catholic, and not religious by any means, but he is the only Pope I've known. He was nominated Pope when I was only 8 years old. I remember watching the smoke change color outside the Sistine Chapel.

He was a kind and gentle man and has done a lot for the people of our planet!. He will be remembered by generations.

May he rest in peace.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 2 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

It really is a sad day for the Catholic community and whole world. He is in a better place now though.

I truly commend him for trying to bring all world religions towards peace and bridging the divides between peoples.
+Quote Post
stags14
post Apr 2 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Meep Meep Meep Meep Meep!!!

Member No.: 3,653

QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 2 2005, 08:01 PM)
I am not Catholic, and not religious by any means, but he is the only Pope I've known. He was nominated Pope when I was only 8 years old. I remember watching the smoke change color outside the Sistine Chapel.

He was a kind and gentleman and has done a lot for the people of our planet!. He will be remembered by generations.

May he rest in peace.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I was six when he was nominated... Only Pope I have known as well. A great man that will be missed.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Apr 2 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I noticed everyone making a big deal about the Pope, on TV.. I noticed he never made a big deal about hisself..

I don't know how much humility you get, from being the Pope, but he came from a humble background, as one of many silent heroes, of the greatest generation, who stood up to facists.

He's liberalized all religions, in ways. For instance, he spoke out often on relations between all religions, instead of pointing at the divides. A peacemaker, a person who knows men are out there, just trying to survive.

I was raised a catholic, but I am far from one now. Let's all remember the best... in good people.

-Salute-

And let's KILL THE ******* BAD GUYS! <-- unsappy.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 2 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Went to Catholic school, was dealt the rath of the penguins. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif) I have since come to the realization that I make a better black sheep than a follower of the flock. I'm not a religious person. But I truely respect what this Pope did to help bring all people together. Rest in peace. We are a better race of people for having him as a voice for morals and freedom.
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Apr 3 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #9

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

who will get this thread deleted?
+Quote Post
914 novice
post Apr 3 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,391

QUOTE (lagunero @ Apr 3 2005, 09:14 AM)

I do not think this thread will be deleted because it is being used for the purpose that I believe it was started.Not to start a religious debate, but to simply pay tribute to a man that we respected.I don't care what religion,race,etc.
I think that on the whole the people that come to this site are pretty intelligent and have some class which is what keeps me coming back.
Paul
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 3 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

He was good guy....how many others would shake the hand of the guy that shot him?

+Quote Post
elwood-914
post Apr 3 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #12

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (914 novice @ Apr 3 2005, 12:30 PM)

I do not think this thread will be deleted because it is being used for the purpose that I believe it was started.Not to start a religious debate, but to simply pay tribute to a man that we respected.I don't care what religion,race,etc.
I think that on the whole the people that come to this site are pretty intelligent and have some class which is what keeps me coming back.
Paul

Well said Paul. I am not a catholic but he had such an impact on people around the world, even more than the BEATLES! He was a good man...
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Apr 3 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #13

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE (914 novice @ Apr 3 2005, 12:30 PM)

Paul

what I meant was "who" would take this thread to the dark side and force the deletion by posting their ill-bred comments. Religious and political threads usually get out of hand around here but I think your post encouraged restraint on those of us who would otherwise show our backside on a topic like this. Well said Paul.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:25 AM