Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB 5-lug setup
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 15 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,364
Region Association: None

Want to buy - 5 lug setup, would like to just buy an entire setup instead of piecing together - there is one locally for about $1k off of a low mile 1988 Carrera - seems a bit high but maybe not - missed the last set of drillable rear hubs on here too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 15 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

PMB performance sells the complete kit for less than $1k. Here is mine.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914itis
post May 15 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

I have a set that I am about to remove from a 1970 911, let me know if you are interested , I can have it removed This week . I also have the calipers .

pm me and let me know .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 15 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A 1970 suspension is a great upgrade for our cars. The rear will bolt on easier than the later Carrara parts. You still need sway a way axles but they are avalable from Pmb performance.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 15 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

70 911 has early ball joints but the rest is good to go
+Quote Post
Evil914
post May 15 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,309
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914itis @ May 15 2016, 04:18 PM) *

I have a set that I am about to remove from a 1970 911, let me know if you are interested , I can have it removed This week . I also have the calipers .

pm me and let me know .

Price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 16 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2016, 05:41 PM) *

A 1970 suspension is a great upgrade for our cars. The rear will bolt on easier than the later Carrara parts. You still need sway a way axles but they are avalable from Pmb performance.

Sorry, the Carrera stuff is only the front end I believe - didn't think about big rotors in back - I believe I have some homework to do now. But I do believe the 1970 911 stuff is vented - going to PM the gentleman and see what his deal will be.
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 16 2016, 12:26 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 15 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Attached Image
Attached Image

I was thinking that I wanted vented & replaceable disks instead of the solid 914 - Has anyone ever had any issues with the solid disks?
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 16 2016, 01:05 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 15 2016, 11:26 PM) *

I was thinking that I wanted vented & replaceable disks instead of the solid 914 - Has anyone ever had any issues with the solid disks?

I think it depends on how you will use your car, if for street or autox or for race kind of driving. And those rotors are the stock solid type rotor. Well so far no issue with me and didn't read any article yet of any issue.
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 16 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 16 2016, 12:05 AM) *

I think it depends on how you will use your car, if for street or autox or for race kind of driving. And those rotors are the stock solid type rotor. Well so far no issue with me and didn't read any article yet of any issue.

Well burned another hour or so on research - seems that a new set of solid disks in the PMB 5 lug kit is the way to go - maybe just upgrade the calipers. Maybe just put better than average pads too. 17mm or upgrade to 19mm MC for solid disks & stock calipers?

Seriously: This is going to cost more than I'm getting my car for..... maybe 4 lug is fine....
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 16 2016, 04:48 AM
Post #11

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 12:18 AM) *

Well burned another hour or so on research - seems that a new set of solid disks in the PMB 5 lug kit is the way to go - maybe just upgrade the calipers. Maybe just put better than average pads too. 17mm or upgrade to 19mm MC for solid disks & stock calipers?

Seriously: This is going to cost more than I'm getting my car for..... maybe 4 lug is fine....

Good starting point is how much do you have to spend and why are you doing it. Plan at least $2k by the time you get wheels and tires. Eric has a good thread on all of the 5 lug options with all of the pros ans cons. Start there and it sounds like you may stop there as it does not sound like you thought this through or understand the conversion options.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 16 2016, 04:51 AM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 03:18 AM) *

The Pmb conversion will get you 5 lug but there is no way to "upgrade" the calipers. You need to use your stock, 4 lug calipers. But all new parts, rebuilt calipers and great brake pads will make a big difference compared to a worn out setup.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 16 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't forget new strut cartridges.
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post May 16 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2016, 03:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 03:18 AM) *

The Pmb conversion will get you 5 lug but there is no way to "upgrade" the calipers. You need to use your stock, 4 lug calipers. But all new parts, rebuilt calipers and great brake pads will make a big difference compared to a worn out setup.

BMW320 calipers "upgrade"?.... I have some "VW" industry contacts, are the 914 & certain VW calipers interchangeable? There's a bunch of folks here that say the stock 914 system is fine as long as it's in good condition so that's good enough for me. Thanks everyone - much better place than the MiniMania forum that I've been participating for a few years. MUCH better.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:13 PM