Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 5-lug setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
ssuperflyoldguy
Want to buy - 5 lug setup, would like to just buy an entire setup instead of piecing together - there is one locally for about $1k off of a low mile 1988 Carrera - seems a bit high but maybe not - missed the last set of drillable rear hubs on here too.
ndfrigi
PMB performance sells the complete kit for less than $1k. Here is mine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914itis
I have a set that I am about to remove from a 1970 911, let me know if you are interested , I can have it removed This week . I also have the calipers .

pm me and let me know .
mepstein
A 1970 suspension is a great upgrade for our cars. The rear will bolt on easier than the later Carrara parts. You still need sway a way axles but they are avalable from Pmb performance.
914Sixer
70 911 has early ball joints but the rest is good to go
Evil914
QUOTE(914itis @ May 15 2016, 04:18 PM) *

I have a set that I am about to remove from a 1970 911, let me know if you are interested , I can have it removed This week . I also have the calipers .

pm me and let me know .

Price? confused24.gif
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2016, 05:41 PM) *

A 1970 suspension is a great upgrade for our cars. The rear will bolt on easier than the later Carrara parts. You still need sway a way axles but they are avalable from Pmb performance.

Sorry, the Carrera stuff is only the front end I believe - didn't think about big rotors in back - I believe I have some homework to do now. But I do believe the 1970 911 stuff is vented - going to PM the gentleman and see what his deal will be.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 15 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I was thinking that I wanted vented & replaceable disks instead of the solid 914 - Has anyone ever had any issues with the solid disks?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 15 2016, 11:26 PM) *

I was thinking that I wanted vented & replaceable disks instead of the solid 914 - Has anyone ever had any issues with the solid disks?

I think it depends on how you will use your car, if for street or autox or for race kind of driving. And those rotors are the stock solid type rotor. Well so far no issue with me and didn't read any article yet of any issue.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 16 2016, 12:05 AM) *

I think it depends on how you will use your car, if for street or autox or for race kind of driving. And those rotors are the stock solid type rotor. Well so far no issue with me and didn't read any article yet of any issue.

Well burned another hour or so on research - seems that a new set of solid disks in the PMB 5 lug kit is the way to go - maybe just upgrade the calipers. Maybe just put better than average pads too. 17mm or upgrade to 19mm MC for solid disks & stock calipers?

Seriously: This is going to cost more than I'm getting my car for..... maybe 4 lug is fine....
bdstone914
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 12:18 AM) *

Well burned another hour or so on research - seems that a new set of solid disks in the PMB 5 lug kit is the way to go - maybe just upgrade the calipers. Maybe just put better than average pads too. 17mm or upgrade to 19mm MC for solid disks & stock calipers?

Seriously: This is going to cost more than I'm getting my car for..... maybe 4 lug is fine....

Good starting point is how much do you have to spend and why are you doing it. Plan at least $2k by the time you get wheels and tires. Eric has a good thread on all of the 5 lug options with all of the pros ans cons. Start there and it sounds like you may stop there as it does not sound like you thought this through or understand the conversion options.
mepstein
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 03:18 AM) *

The Pmb conversion will get you 5 lug but there is no way to "upgrade" the calipers. You need to use your stock, 4 lug calipers. But all new parts, rebuilt calipers and great brake pads will make a big difference compared to a worn out setup.
rhodyguy
Don't forget new strut cartridges.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2016, 03:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 16 2016, 03:18 AM) *

The Pmb conversion will get you 5 lug but there is no way to "upgrade" the calipers. You need to use your stock, 4 lug calipers. But all new parts, rebuilt calipers and great brake pads will make a big difference compared to a worn out setup.

BMW320 calipers "upgrade"?.... I have some "VW" industry contacts, are the 914 & certain VW calipers interchangeable? There's a bunch of folks here that say the stock 914 system is fine as long as it's in good condition so that's good enough for me. Thanks everyone - much better place than the MiniMania forum that I've been participating for a few years. MUCH better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.