Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving to Albuquerque, Moved! Settling in...
snakemain
post Jun 3 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Ronin Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

Moving to Albuquerque next weekend.

Most of our stuff is already there courtesy of the USAF, so mostly just have to move my garage and a little furniture. 2 914s, a bunch of parts, motorcycle, lawnmower, tools, etc.

Bolted the engine/tranny back together for my spare/non-running 914 today and bolted it in to make the move easier.

Biggest drawback to the new place is I'll have half the garage space I currently enjoy, and they do not allow working on cars on the property. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) The spare teener, parts, lawn equipment, and a bunch of other crap will have to go into a storage unit for a couple years...(anyone want a slightly rusty disassembled '74?)

Any teeners, p-car guys, notable shops, etc. out that way?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shindog1961
post Jun 3 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,133
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are a few of us. I'm up in Santa Fe there are some in Albuquerque in the Road Runner PCA that I know of. I use Silver Star Auto Haus on Aztec for the 914.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 3 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Jon Nelson is in Rio Rancho. About 15 miles...
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 3 2016, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Ronin Member

Cool. I'll actually be in Rio Rancho, so right there.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 3 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Check out Dr. J's - Jay Waterfield - 4201 San Mateo NE, ABQ, NM 87110 505-341-4747

He's old school & long time working on 914s since the 70's. I've not had mine to him, but know others there who have.

So I can't speak personally on service work, but I did spend some time talking with him a few years back when stuck in ABQ waiting for work on our trailer, & he knows the 914s from what I can tell, & the 5 in his tiny lot which drew my eye driving down the street attests to some others using him.

PS - it sounds like you might also need to find a place without an HOA or whatever so you can work on your cars!

Good Luck in ABQ & Thanx For your Service! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 3 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Ronin Member

Mostly I just need to hunt down a decent oil leak and figure out what's causing me to be at about 80% power...could be carbs. After that, I should be good to drive!
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 3 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Remember that you're at a much higher altitude in Albuquerque than in Illinois. That may be part of your power loss. We notice the difference every time we visit my brother that's lived there for many years.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 3 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #8

Ronin Member

Not there yet, so I'm still just dealing with IL altitude. But figure I'll need to re-jet anyway once I'm there and can go through everything to figure it out.
+Quote Post
daraho9146
post Jun 3 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,582

QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 3 2016, 04:22 PM) *

Not there yet, so I'm still just dealing with IL altitude. But figure I'll need to re-jet anyway once I'm there and can go through everything to figure it out.

Welcome to NM. I live in Corrales, not far from Rio Rancho.

Dan
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jun 4 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(daraho9146 @ Jun 3 2016, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 3 2016, 04:22 PM) *

Welcome to NM. I live in Corrales, not far from Rio Rancho.

Dan

Russ Kelso has a Porsche shop in Corrales. He does everything from 356 to new model Porsches. He is an old 914 racer and knows his stuff.

http://www.pmciinc.com/

+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jun 4 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #11

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Yep I'm in Rio Rancho, on the weekends anyway. Long story short, I work in Los Alamos and have an old dog I like to be around so I stay there during the week. Welcome to Rio Rancho in advance! My house is just 2 miles up Meadowlark from Russ' shop. I'm on the edge of Rio Rancho next to Corrales. He's seen my 914 a fair bit last year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm not too active in local car events right now, but who knows? Maybe someday soon. There's a guy in northern Rio Rancho with a track prepped 914. Haven't met the guy (Dan?) who posted from Corrales. Or the guy up in Santa Fe. There's a cream 2.0 914 in Los Alamos that some guy uses as his daily driver (actually White Rock which is where I stay when I'm there). Dunno who he is.

We're around, here and there! Sounds like you got stuck with an annoying neighborhood association. I'm lucky, we can do anything here. Joe O'Brien (Series9) used to live here and he built about four cars here in this very garage! Neighbors are redneck turbo diesel tinkerers (cool guys actually) and there are others. Lucky neighborhood I'm in!

Drop a line when you're here. Maybe we can get a 914 weekend drive on some of our mountain twistys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: Oh yeah, expect 15% power loss on anything without forced induction, assuming everything else is working tip top. If we go up into the hills, nearing 10,000 ft, it's proportionally worse. Rare air!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 4 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #12

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 3 2016, 05:16 PM) *

PS - it sounds like you might also need to find a place without an HOA or whatever so you can work on your cars!

Tom,
I'm just guessing, but I think the reason he can't work on cars or store cars on the property is because he is going to live in base housing.
Brings back memories of when I lived in base officers quarters. We used to call them the lawn police because they'd leave you a note if anything were not up to standards... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
moorepower
post Jun 5 2016, 05:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,718

All I know is you are going to enjoy driving on some of the local twisty roads! That is beautiful country out there.
+Quote Post
daraho9146
post Jun 5 2016, 06:31 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,582

I used to belong to PCA and the local Road Runner club, but let my membership lapse.
I only live about 3 miles from Russ Kelso at PMI. He has done alot of work on my factory six (3.2 conversion).I also have a 84 Carrera. Great Porsche mechanic.
It would be fun to get together with some fellow 914 owners.

Dan Holter
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 5 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #15

Ronin Member

House is a rental, so the property manager doesn't want to get oil on the garage floor.

I haven't lived in base housing, but now it's mostly contracted out, and someone else mows your grass (occasionally), and non-military people can rent houses there on many of the bases.

Definitely looking forward to getting there. You'll probably hear me when I fire it up!
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jun 5 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #16

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831

QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 5 2016, 10:43 AM) *

House is a rental, so the property manager doesn't want to get oil on the garage floor.

I haven't lived in base housing, but now it's mostly contracted out, and someone else mows your grass (occasionally), and non-military people can rent houses there on many of the bases.

Definitely looking forward to getting there. You'll probably hear me when I fire it up!

Well I look forward to hearing it. My own 3.2 conversion sounds sweet as well (I'm biased of course). ITBs and a Dansk muffler make a sweet sound out of those engines!

By the way, I worked for Sandia National Labs for a few years (on KAFB). That cross-town commute is a bear. Hope you can get early hours!
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 5 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

You need to visit the Unser Racing Museum and check out the racetrack west of town by the prison. I also enjoyed the fact that Al, Sr. and Bobbie Unser live across the street from each other (close to Unser Blvd.). Since my brother has lived out there for many years, we've had plenty chances to visit.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 14 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Ronin Member

Looks like we got ourselves a convoy.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jun 28 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Ronin Member

Survived the trip and unpacking except for a messed up shoulder. Car started and backed off the trailer and pulled into the garage, but now the car won't start and the charger/tester claims the battery is bad. Grr. Next door neighbor and wife are older Jersey transplants who are super nice, and older guy across the street has a SWEET restored TR6 and an A-H Sprite project in the garage, plus half a dozen old dirt bikes. First place we've ever lived where the neighbors have actually come over and introduced themselves and talked for quite some time.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jul 13 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Ronin Member

Fired up the car today and took it around the block...finally. For some reason the old (not very old) battery had died and was testing as bad, so I ordered a new Odyssey. I wanted one of those anyway. Then I noticed that my carb linkage has loose. The nut that attaches the crossbar to the carb was gone. Just gone. Replaced that.

It definitely needs some carb adjustment. Difficult to start, and definitely down on power. Finished the drive and tried to restart it in the garage and it wouldn't. Sounded like it wanted to, but couldn't get it to fire up again.

Driving it again was fun. People looked and waved. I got a little sideways leaving the neighborhood. I'm sure people will love me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:43 PM