Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS Gauging interest in new CNC machined 5 lug hubs for 914 struts, EDIT: Please read edit at end of post #27 regarding front hubs
1stworks
post Jun 9 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,718
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 8 2016, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 8 2016, 09:19 PM) *

This is probably a hijack, but I hope it's not a pain..

Does this also include the stock of the 4-lug front vented rotors? I have seen them on a car before, so I know they exist, and I believe it was Mueller who did the CAD work for those. Would certainly be in for a set of those.

No hijack and actually related. I think there may be more interest in 4 lug billet hubs that would allow the use the vented rotors. Have talked to Mark W and I plan to get him a set to be able to reproduce these. I already see some improvements thst can be mafe on the design. More details later. by

+1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
white1975
post Jun 9 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,529

I would like a set of rear caliper spacers if not too $

thanks Kerry
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 9 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 8 2016, 09:19 PM) *

This is probably a hijack, but I hope it's not a pain..

Does this also include the stock of the 4-lug front vented rotors? I have seen them on a car before, so I know they exist, and I believe it was Mueller who did the CAD work for those. Would certainly be in for a set of those.

They do exist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Korijo914
post Jun 9 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 19,940

That looks super clean, Eric!

Nice job, Bruce!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 11 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #25

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

If a redesign is done, I would suggest changing the stud design. I have a set of these on my car and I've always been concerned about the screw in studs. In fact eventually, I'd like to talk to Mueller about this. For now, they work, they're safe, I'll use them.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 11 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2016, 10:50 AM) *

If a redesign is done, I would suggest changing the stud design. I have a set of these on my car and I've always been concerned about the screw in studs. In fact eventually, I'd like to talk to Mueller about this. For now, they work, they're safe, I'll use them.

If you think about it, the studs are more less what the factory now does with bolts, in fact I'd prefer studs with nuts over bolts alone.

The bolt on rotor has a bolt pattern either the same or darn close to the 5x130 so getting pressed in studs would be a challenge with a 4x130 pattern. It might be possible and is something that can be looked into.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 11 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #27

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 11 2016, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2016, 10:50 AM) *

If you think about it, the studs are more less what the factory now does with bolts, in fact I'd prefer studs with nuts over bolts alone.

The bolt on rotor has a bolt pattern either the same or darn close to the 5x130 so getting pressed in studs would be a challenge with a 4x130 pattern. It might be possible and is something that can be looked into.

I have studied the design of the five lug hubs I have were I don't like it for several reasons.

1 There is an unneeded step on the surface that contacts the wheel and dos not allow the wheel to contact the full surface of the wheel as it does in a 911 hub design. There is a 5 mm gap between the wheel and the hub with no support directly under the nut that hold on the wheels. This could cause a wheel to crack and fail.

2. Hex head bolts were used in from the back side of the hub. I like that as it is more like the 911 hub design with a press in stud. The negatives are (A) To install the bolts the hex had to be ground to a round shape to sit flush with the surface and not interfere with the rotor. (B) if a bolt had to be replaced there is not an off the shelf part. © the holes were not bored deep enough to use a cap head screw. The simple solution is to use a cap head screw and bore the hole deeper.

3. The hubs were made to take 911 late type grease caps that are $50 each new. 914 ( or VW Beetle) grease caps are cheaper.

4. They are heavy. A lot of material could be machined away like is shown in Muellers design.

5 Cap head screws going into blind threaded hole are used to attach the rotor to the hub. I would use a through bolt and nut like the 911 hubs.

Due to what I consider a serious design flaw I will not sell these hubs with out machining off the step.

I have talked to Mark Whitesell about making both the five and four lug versions. It looks like it will happen.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 12 2016, 09:22 AM
Post #28

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I had no hand in the 5 lug version, I only did the design work on the 4 lug version.

No idea why he has the step?

Glad to see you being able to fill the need or want in such a small market!

Just remember the more features of a part, the more it costs to make.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 12 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #29

bdstone914

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 12 2016, 08:22 AM) *

I had no hand in the 5 lug version, I only did the design work on the 4 lug version.

No idea why he has the step?

Glad to see you being able to fill the need or want in such a small market!

Just remember the more features of a part, the more it costs to make.

I have no idea why the step was there. I am sure working with Mark we can make a better, lighter 4 or 5 lug hub at reduced cost.

The fix for these hubs may be to make a spacer that fits over face giving full mounting surface. If the step is machined off, the studs will extend 5mm farther and the wheel will be 5 mm closer to the caliper. If the studs extend 5mm more the closed end lug nuts may bottom out.

Yes more features = higher costs. Simple is best. I like the pockets you have in your 4 lug design.
+Quote Post
Starlack
post Jun 12 2016, 11:34 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,978

Hello
When I saw this really you choose brake discs ventilated with 4 hole? no problem
I have in my Installed.
Do you get as at Fa. Kerscher in Germany.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jun 17 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #31

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[/quote]

. . . I am sure working with Mark we can make a better, lighter 4 or 5 lug hub at reduced cost.

[/quote]

Thanks for suggesting this! Would the 4-lug hub fit both the early and later versions of the cars?

Thanks again!

Steve A-
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Jun 17 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #32

Dominic

Member No.: 149

Bruce,
I'd be interested in a set of 5 lug front hubs if you offer any more sets.

Thanks,
Dominic
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 17 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #33

bdstone914

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 17 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Bruce,

Thanks,
Dominic

I will not be offering more but it looks like 914 Rubber will be making 4 and 5 lug hubs.
Bruce
+Quote Post
djway
post Jun 17 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 17 2016, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 17 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Bruce,

Thanks,
Dominic

I will not be offering more but it looks like 914 Rubber will be making 4 and 5 lug hubs.
Bruce

Is there a link to information on the 914 Rubber hubs? I searched and could not find anything.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jun 17 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 13,549

Bruce, I could use a set of rear 5 lug hubs and set of spacers for rear vented 911 rotors if you have them available. Let me know.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 09:17 AM