Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS Gauging interest in new CNC machined 5 lug hubs for 914 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
bdstone914
EDIT:
So I picked up about 1000 lbs of parts. Really, cause like I needed them.
All three sets of front hubs are spoken for.
Getting the first set of rears cleaned up and will install bolts.
Here is what I learned so far about the hubs.
The rear hubs are drilled and tapped to take bolts that thread in from the back side.
Fronts also use thread in hex head bolts that have had the heads ground round to fit flush with the hub.
The fronts take 911 "innie" type grease caps that are not included which are available through Pelican at $50.50 each.
There are several sets of mono block caliper adapters to adapt bigger brakes to front 3" or 3.5" bolt spacing and rear 914 and 911 trailing arms.

I will get the rusted parts cleaned up.
Hard to tell from the pics but there are sets of rear caliper spacers for converting rear calipers to use vented rotors. Mono block adapters to add big brakes to 914 or 911 struts. 3 sets of front five lug billet hubs, 5 -1/2 sets of redrilled rear 5 lug hubs.

Some of you may recall the CNC machined hubs first offered by Brad Roberts. The person who did them has offered his remaining stock to me to sell off. Seems that Brad left him holding the bag after promising to buy several sets. No big surprise there. These would bolt up to a 914 strut directly with no modifications.
It is a package deal and I have to take them with a lot of other 5 lug conversion parts like redrilled rear hubs with allen bolts installed from the back side, redrilled 914 rotors to match. Also are available are the rear caliper spacers to allow use of vented rotors.
I will have to figure reasonable pricing.
I should have pictures later today.
Mueller
Interesting. Story I heard was machinist made extras and was selling them on the side, but there are always 2 sides of every story, I can believe the machinist story as well. So confusing smile.gif

There is a small market for sure, since coming back to 914World I've had at least 3 people contact me to see if I can have more made or release the drawing to someone that could make them again (I did the original drawings and worked with the original machine shop, I got one pair of hubs for my part- the 4 lug version)

Any 4 lug versions available? I know a few people are still interested in those based on a few PM's.

Sounds like you should pm all those that are interested to contact Bruce....free bump
Mueller
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Interesting. Story I heard was machinist made extras and was selling them on the side, but there are always 2 sides of every story, I can believe the machinist story as well and does make more sense now knowing more about other peoples dealings with /B So confusing smile.gif

There is a small market for sure, since coming back to 914World I've had at least 3 people contact me to see if I can have more made or release the drawing to someone that could make them again (I did the original drawings and worked with the original machine shop, I got one pair of hubs for my part- the 4 lug version)

Any 4 lug versions available? I know a few people are still interested in those based on a few PM's.

Confirm the years they fit, I "think" the struts are different between the 70/71 and the rest of the later struts?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2016, 08:53 AM) *

Interesting. Story I heard was machinist made extras and was selling them on the side, but there are always 2 sides of every story, I can believe the machinist story as well and does make more sense now knowing more about other peoples dealings with /B So confusing smile.gif

Confirm the years they fit, I "think" the struts are different between the 70/71 and the rest of the later struts?

The struts for 70-71 use rotors and calipers wit a different offset. If swapped as a pair of matching calipers and rotors early hubs will go on late struts and visa versa. Per Eric Shea and he know everything about brakes. beerchug.gif
I do have early and late struts and can confirm fitment when I have the parts in hand.

Anyone have an idea as to original pricing or current value? At the time they were first offered 911 front suspensions were plentiful and comparably but those days are gone.
I am think the originally price was around $450 a pair. This deal includes front bearings and studs of bolts. Some rotors are part of the deal so I was looking at offering a bolt on complete deal for front or rear.

What would be the four bolt setup ? An aluminum but to a vented 911 rotor ? I think that was discussed and they are available in Germany for Bug conversions.

If I get them I can send you one to scan and produce in 4 bolt version.
bdstone914

Interesting. Story I heard was machinist made extras and was selling them on the side, but there are always 2 sides of every story, I can believe the machinist story as well. So confusing smile.gif

The story I got from the machinist ( who I have know foe several years) that he was asked to made 20 pairs and was left holding the bag on most of them. He was out over $2k and was selling them on ebay to recoup his loss.
Mueller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 5 2016, 09:14 AM) *

The story I got from the machinist ( who I have know foe several years) that he was asked to made 20 pairs and was left holding the bag on most of them. He was out over $2k and was selling them on ebay to recoup his loss.

That makes perfect sense now and something I am more apt to believe now that time has passed and I've "learned" more smile.gif I meant no disrespect or anything hope it didn't come across that way now that I've read it again!

$450ish seems about right.
Korijo914
Bruce,

I have been waiting for a set of the 5 lug hubs for a long time. I was supposed to get some from Brad Roberts when they first came out. Do you have a set for me? I have been wanting some for me for the longest time. I will put my order for a rear set, too, if you are going to make them also.

Let me know when they are available, ASAP, please.

Thank you for your time,
korijo
bdstone914
QUOTE(Korijo914 @ Jun 5 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Bruce,

I have been waiting for a set of the 5 lug hubs for a long time. I was supposed to get some from Brad Roberts when they first came out. Do you have a set for me? I have been wanting some for me for the longest time. I will put my order for a rear set, too, if you are going to make them also.

Thank you for your time,
korijo

I will be getting everything in the pictures above. There are three sets of front hubs and 5 sets of rear hubs. You will be the first in line.
I do have one set of rear trailing arms that are powder coated. I can install bearings, hubs and pivot shafts is you are interested in a bolt on package. I will have to work up a price for that.
koozy
Bruce, I am interested in a front set with longer studs for a racing application, please.
Mueller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 5 2016, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Korijo914 @ Jun 5 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Bruce,

Thank you for your time,
korijo

I will be getting everything in the pictures above. There are three sets of front hubs and 5 sets of rear hubs. You will be the first in line.
I do have one set of rear trailing arms that are powder coated. I can install bearings, hubs and pivot shafts is you are interested in a bolt on package. I will have to work up a price for that.

Those using screw in studs? If so I had used BBS Racing studs in the past. I can find my source if you don't have one.
westtexass2k
I just purchased a 911 front end so wished this would have came up last week. Just my luck.
I am intersted in 5 bolt rear hubs I still need those. Also any other rear upgrades that will worth with the front set up.
pete000
Bruce, I need a set of non vented rear rotors drilled for 5-lug. Are they new and just rusty?
bdstone914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 6 2016, 10:31 AM) *

Bruce, I need a set of non vented rear rotors drilled for 5-lug. Are they new and just rusty?

They are new but rusty.
Picking up the parts today and will assess the condition.
I think a few gallons of Evapo Rust will do it.
Details later
R_u_dd
Bruce,

PM sent.

I would like a set of 4 drilled non vented 914 rotors depending on pricing and a set of rear hubs with studs. If you happen to have 100 mm 911 stub hubs and hubs, and they are reasonably priced, I might go for that instead.

Also doing the front, but you appear to be out of hubs.

Thanks, CR
timothy_nd28
I might be in for a set of block adapters. I'm doing a 911 front end conversion with early 3" boge struts. So, this adapter will get me 3.5" spacing for possible boxster calipers? I'm new to this conversion stuff. biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
This is probably a hijack, but I hope it's not a pain..

Does this also include the stock of the 4-lug front vented rotors? I have seen them on a car before, so I know they exist, and I believe it was Mueller who did the CAD work for those. Would certainly be in for a set of those.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 8 2016, 09:19 PM) *

Does this also include the stock of the 4-lug front vented rotors? I have seen them on a car before, so I know they exist, and I believe it was Mueller who did the CAD work for those. Would certainly be in for a set of those.

No hijack and actually related. I think there may be more interest in 4 lug billet hubs that would allow the use the vented rotors. Have talked to Mark W and I plan to get him a set to be able to reproduce these. I already see some improvements thst can be mafe on the design. More details later. by
bdstone914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 8 2016, 09:19 PM) *

I might be in for a set of block adapters. I'm doing a 911 front end conversion with early 3" boge struts. So, this adapter will get me 3.5" spacing for possible boxster calipers? I'm new to this conversion stuff. biggrin.gif

Yes I have adapters to put about and type caliper on any 914 or 911 for front or rear.
timothy_nd28
See Bruce, this is why I like you and your can do attitude!
1stworks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 8 2016, 11:08 PM) *

No hijack and actually related. I think there may be more interest in 4 lug billet hubs that would allow the use the vented rotors. Have talked to Mark W and I plan to get him a set to be able to reproduce these. I already see some improvements thst can be mafe on the design. More details later. by

+1
white1975
I would like a set of rear caliper spacers if not too $

thanks Kerry
eric9144

They do exist smoke.gif
Click to view attachment
Korijo914
That looks super clean, Eric!

Nice job, Bruce!
ConeDodger
If a redesign is done, I would suggest changing the stud design. I have a set of these on my car and I've always been concerned about the screw in studs. In fact eventually, I'd like to talk to Mueller about this. For now, they work, they're safe, I'll use them.
Mueller
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2016, 10:50 AM) *

If a redesign is done, I would suggest changing the stud design. I have a set of these on my car and I've always been concerned about the screw in studs. In fact eventually, I'd like to talk to Mueller about this. For now, they work, they're safe, I'll use them.

If you think about it, the studs are more less what the factory now does with bolts, in fact I'd prefer studs with nuts over bolts alone.

The bolt on rotor has a bolt pattern either the same or darn close to the 5x130 so getting pressed in studs would be a challenge with a 4x130 pattern. It might be possible and is something that can be looked into.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 11 2016, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2016, 10:50 AM) *

If you think about it, the studs are more less what the factory now does with bolts, in fact I'd prefer studs with nuts over bolts alone.

The bolt on rotor has a bolt pattern either the same or darn close to the 5x130 so getting pressed in studs would be a challenge with a 4x130 pattern. It might be possible and is something that can be looked into.

I have studied the design of the five lug hubs I have were I don't like it for several reasons.

1 There is an unneeded step on the surface that contacts the wheel and dos not allow the wheel to contact the full surface of the wheel as it does in a 911 hub design. There is a 5 mm gap between the wheel and the hub with no support directly under the nut that hold on the wheels. This could cause a wheel to crack and fail.

2. Hex head bolts were used in from the back side of the hub. I like that as it is more like the 911 hub design with a press in stud. The negatives are (A) To install the bolts the hex had to be ground to a round shape to sit flush with the surface and not interfere with the rotor. (B) if a bolt had to be replaced there is not an off the shelf part. © the holes were not bored deep enough to use a cap head screw. The simple solution is to use a cap head screw and bore the hole deeper.

3. The hubs were made to take 911 late type grease caps that are $50 each new. 914 ( or VW Beetle) grease caps are cheaper.

4. They are heavy. A lot of material could be machined away like is shown in Muellers design.

5 Cap head screws going into blind threaded hole are used to attach the rotor to the hub. I would use a through bolt and nut like the 911 hubs.

Due to what I consider a serious design flaw I will not sell these hubs with out machining off the step.

I have talked to Mark Whitesell about making both the five and four lug versions. It looks like it will happen.
Mueller
I had no hand in the 5 lug version, I only did the design work on the 4 lug version.

No idea why he has the step?

Glad to see you being able to fill the need or want in such a small market!

Just remember the more features of a part, the more it costs to make.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 12 2016, 08:22 AM) *

I had no hand in the 5 lug version, I only did the design work on the 4 lug version.

No idea why he has the step?

Glad to see you being able to fill the need or want in such a small market!

Just remember the more features of a part, the more it costs to make.

I have no idea why the step was there. I am sure working with Mark we can make a better, lighter 4 or 5 lug hub at reduced cost.

The fix for these hubs may be to make a spacer that fits over face giving full mounting surface. If the step is machined off, the studs will extend 5mm farther and the wheel will be 5 mm closer to the caliper. If the studs extend 5mm more the closed end lug nuts may bottom out.

Yes more features = higher costs. Simple is best. I like the pockets you have in your 4 lug design.
Starlack
Hello
When I saw this really you choose brake discs ventilated with 4 hole? no problem
I have in my Installed.
Do you get as at Fa. Kerscher in Germany.
anderssj
[/quote]

. . . I am sure working with Mark we can make a better, lighter 4 or 5 lug hub at reduced cost.

[/quote]

Thanks for suggesting this! Would the 4-lug hub fit both the early and later versions of the cars?

Thanks again!

Steve A-
Dominic
Bruce,
I'd be interested in a set of 5 lug front hubs if you offer any more sets.

Thanks,
Dominic
bdstone914
QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 17 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Bruce,

Thanks,
Dominic

I will not be offering more but it looks like 914 Rubber will be making 4 and 5 lug hubs.
Bruce
djway
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 17 2016, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 17 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Bruce,

Thanks,
Dominic

I will not be offering more but it looks like 914 Rubber will be making 4 and 5 lug hubs.
Bruce

Is there a link to information on the 914 Rubber hubs? I searched and could not find anything.
lonewolfe
Bruce, I could use a set of rear 5 lug hubs and set of spacers for rear vented 911 rotors if you have them available. Let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.