Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My First Hiccup, finally put this to bed after the 3rd try
Chris H.
post Jun 20 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That's a good point...the Permatex stuff does harden quickly. I think the tube gets small holes in it after you squeeze it a few times. The gray is fine but I just checked my red...it's a brick.

OK I'm going out to the garage! Gotta get off my butt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 21 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #62

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 20 2016, 03:26 PM) *

But you could also use Loctite 518 which is anaerobic sealer, so it cures with the absence of air. = Between machined surfaces. Case halves, transmission halves, oil pump to engine etc.... have a tube on order as I normally keep yamabond around, It is convent stop for me. Amazon is even more convent. And I am not tempted to by a motorcycle.

Stuff keeps in a tube much longer than Ultra-gray.

Or any of the Jap brand XXXX-bond stuff. So you have Fujibond, Hondabond, yamabond, etc..... Lets rebrand the same stuff 100 times and go from there. BTW, VW has the same stuff also, so I am sure Porsche does as well, more than likely have the four rings logo on it. Same stuff you get for $1000 a tube to seal you Lambo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I think your on to something with the re-branding thought, Stephen. I wonder if the "grey" agent Fuji, Honda or Triple Bond, is the same as the German product "Dirko". It lists the same sealing qualities. I have the locktite stuff as well but it might be too old to trust. Have you ever used any CURIL sealing products? It's another German product. I'm still waiting on my gasket set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) My order is "being processed". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 25 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #63

Finally! Gasket set arrived this PM. I need to go work at my daughters home in San Diego tomorrow but hopefully I can finish cleaning the case, chain guard, etc. and have it back in the car in 2 weeks.

Attached Image

Cleaned the nasty Oil Cooler

Attached Image

Started cleaning the case.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 29 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #64

Finished cleaning except the pan and that can wait till it's back in the car. It's difficult to access so close to the ground. My OCD kicked in when I saw the deposits in the water passageway's.

Attached Image

Attached Image

A before n after pose of the sacrificial 1/2" fitting brush. The trick is to clean the wider aeas 1st then go small because the brush won't expand once it's collapsed.

Attached Image

Got about 99% of it. My water temps were fine but this is better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

The wear isn't bad either. Never did use oil and I can still see the cross hatching from the hone. Doesn't show in the pic.

Attached Image

Finished cleaning the top half of the case.

Attached Image

Got it ready to hang the heads back on.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 7 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #65

Since I have to wait a few days for 6ea 8mm allen bolts and a rubber hose kit I might as well post where it's at for now. A little cleaner than the last time you saw it.

Attached Image

A pic of the rear chain cover before it was re-installed.

Attached Image

The right chain still has slack in it as shown by the green arrow. That's because I hadn't pulled the pin on the tensioner, circled in red, when these pic's were taken. Look close you can see the metal wire used as a pin.

Attached Image

And a couple all chained out and indexed. Once I receive those 4 bolts the front cover can be re-installed then the engine can go back in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 8 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #66

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2016, 09:18 PM) *

The right chain still has slack in it as shown by the green arrow. That's because I hadn't pulled the pin on the tensioner, circled in red, when these pic's were taken. Look close you can see the metal wire used as a pin.

Attached Image

You need a couple of tags like these for your tensioner pins

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 8 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #67

Hah! I flew w/o one of those for years until one day I took my daughter up and noticed my airspeed was 0. I was flying off a 1600' grass strip with a 50' tree on one end. Needless to say I landed at a large airport a few miles away and cleaned the mud daubers nest off my pitot tube. After that I bought one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 8 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #68

Wow that thing is clean. You're just about ready to roll again.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 16 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #69

It's back together. Is it healed? We'll see in a couple of weeks. If I have problems I'll slap another engine in it and be done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It was a maize at first but I got to know the engine which is a plus. I want to pass on a few things I found. The best fix for blown head gaskets is, as others mentioned Cometic gaskets and head studs. ARP sells kits with both the Cometic gaskets and studs for many engines. The EZ30 isn't one of them. Kits are available for all of the 2, 2.2 & 2.5's. I guess one could buy 2 kits for a 2.5 and have left over parts but at $400 a kit I'll pass. The advantage of of the head studs is they allow you to increase the torque to about 100 ft lb's. I'm guessing they are around 80 now but I'm not sure. They head "bolts" are tightened to "X" ft lb's then and additional 90 or 45 degrees, depending upon which bolt. Also, I got a quote from Subaru for all the little hose's, hose 90's, etc on the EZ30; >$400. Buying generic Gates 90's and hose it was < $80. I'm going thru my electrical again but will post that in my conversion thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 17 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #70

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Admerable skills. Good work. When do you plan on coming to Tacoma?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 25 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #71

Got the engine back in Sunday and she fired right up. I still have the issue that precluded the engine pull which is a fuel starvation issue. It falls on its face under acceleration. Ordered a fuel pump last nite. It runs great except the stalls but when I put it on the rack I found an oil leak on the rear chain guard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I believe I didn't use enough sealant but we shall see. Given my prevailing piss poor attitude I ordered another engine. I'll throw that sucker in and take my time with the sealant when I pull old number one down again. I want to keep it in waiting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 25 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #72

Fuel starvation? Weird. Did you buy a JDM?

Look what came today:

2 914 limos worth:

Just boxed your half up. Should get it to Fed Ex tomorrow.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 25 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #73

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 25 2016, 03:19 PM) *

Got the engine back in Sunday and she fired right up. I still have the issue that precluded the engine pull which is a fuel starvation issue. It falls on its face under acceleration. Ordered a fuel pump last nite. It runs great except the stalls but when I put it on the rack I found an oil leak on the rear chain guard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I believe I didn't use enough sealant but we shall see. Given my prevailing piss poor attitude I ordered another engine. I'll throw that sucker in and take my time with the sealant when I pull old number one down again. I want to keep it in waiting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you get your fuel system figured out and it's running great, how big of a job is is to fix that leak again - another engine pull? Even if so, it doesn't seem to take too long for you. (I know time is compressed in your thread so 'not too long' is a relative term!)
But if you've got the rest of it buttoned up and running well... well, that's just me!
BTW, Mike Bellis just bought an AEM fuel pump and apparently loves it!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 25 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2016, 01:04 PM) *

Hah! I flew w/o one of those for years until one day I took my daughter up and noticed my airspeed was 0. I was flying off a 1600' grass strip with a 50' tree on one end. Needless to say I landed at a large airport a few miles away and cleaned the mud daubers nest off my pitot tube. After that I bought one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

First call on take-off... "set take off thrust". Second call is... "airspeeds alive". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 11 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 25 2016, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 25 2016, 03:19 PM) *

If you get your fuel system figured out and it's running great, how big of a job is is to fix that leak again - another engine pull? Even if so, it doesn't seem to take too long for you. (I know time is compressed in your thread so 'not too long' is a relative term!)
But if you've got the rest of it buttoned up and running well... well, that's just me!
BTW, Mike Bellis just bought an AEM fuel pump and apparently loves it!

I R&R it w/ a stock Suby pump and it is working fine, thus far. If it burns out within 24 mo's I will go that route. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 25 2016, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2016, 01:04 PM) *

First call on take-off... "set take off thrust". Second call is... "airspeeds alive". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Now you tell me!

Round 2 - Took time away from the project these past several days to attend to, shall we say, life. No sense in whining about problems, right? With that said I'll move along. The newer engine is in and running but not w/o a hitch or 3. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I forgot to release the Subaru "pull type" throw out bearing so I lost a few hours reacquainting myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The alternator had a bad bearing so I used the one off the other engine. I used the smaller AC compressor that came with the engine but I will need to change the size of my suction line as well now. And as it turns out, the TPS from either engine works fine although they have different part #'s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
When it first fired off it belched an orange-ish cloud and settled in with a rpm of ~1200. So I switched the TPS back to the one that came with it and tried again. This time the idle was ~2800rpm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) . After I cleaned out my pants I settled down enough to find that I had not reconnected the TPS plug so the ECU never saw it. After I reconnected the TPS plug the idle returned to 1200rpm so no difference. After 2-3 minutes of idling it began to hunt. Now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I'm hovering over the engine when I felt the tire spin against my leg. Lowered the lift enough for the rear tires to make contact with the concrete and it stopped. My take on this is that I am running the USDM ECU which only support an automatic so the VSS sender on my transmission works BUT it's looking for some torque values that the 5 speed manual trans isn't sending. It compensates by raising the idle a bit when run @ < 10mph. I figured that I'll drive with the high idle until I figure it out. My previous experiences w/ DJet had trained me in the fine art of driving with high idle syndrome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) So, I hop in and get about 300 yds down the road and it starts with that hunting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) again but this time with vigor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Now I'm ready to kill something. I resigned myself to re-installing good ol' number 1 but decided I'll drive the piss out this thing until I get the other one back together and installed. This is where it gets weird. I've developed a habit of closely monitoring the tach on the upper end so that I can avoid the hard stall that comes at 6600rpm indicated. I say indicated because I am running the VDO Interrogator Tach. The new engine hits 7000rpm indicated before I shift. I didn't want to run past 7000rpm, either. Odd that with the same ECU the new engine rev's higher. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) This however stumps me. After the 3rd or 4th hard pull the engine stopped hunting and the idle returned to 500-550rpm. For now, I'm going to assume that I had a presence along for the ride and he put a SLITS tune on it's ass. I have no other explanation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
When the engine was out I cleaned up the wiring and labeled everything. I still need to draw a proper schematic that represents the cars current (NPI) wiring layout.

Now that I have the other engine on a stand I'll take my time sealing it up and keep it as a spare.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I also took the opportunity to paint my cradle as it had been sporting primer these past two years. I decided to strip it down to bare metal and inspect for cracks before I blindly threw a few coats of paint on it. I used PVC purple primer instead of Magnaflux. It works pretty well, is cheaper and can be used for plumbing chores later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

And here sits the newer drive train awaiting it's new home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 27 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #76

I began to reassemble (again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ) the timing chain enclosure on the original 3.0. There is the front and rear halves. Last time it leaked badly at the rear cover and I suspect that I might have rubbed some of the sealant off before making contact. So this time I decided to give myself a fighting chance. Bought a meter of 6mm x 1.0 threaded rod and cut into 4 pieces to make a jig. The back half slid into place evenly and the rods were removes as they were replaced by bolts

Attached Image

Back half bolted in placed and torqued. Just need to install cam gears, chain, tensioners/guides, oil pump and water pump. After that the rods will go back on the outer row of bolt holes to be used as a jig for the front cover. If it leaks this time I'll throw it in the trash.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 27 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #77

Hey mail it to me if you're gonna throw it in the trash. I'll send you a label man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !

I think you got it this time. Maybe the sludge was keeping it sealed up.

BTW RE: the towing thread...I was wondering...you think your fuel pressure regulator is OK? I don't know how it's set up on that motor. Mine is on the fuel rail. Did you transfer yours from the other engine? Might be worth checking. Two pumps in a couple months is weird.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 28 2016, 09:33 AM
Post #78

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 27 2016, 06:31 PM) *

Hey mail it to me if you're gonna throw it in the trash. I'll send you a label man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !

I think you got it this time. Maybe the sludge was keeping it sealed up.

BTW RE: the towing thread...I was wondering...you think your fuel pressure regulator is OK? I don't know how it's set up on that motor. Mine is on the fuel rail. Did you transfer yours from the other engine? Might be worth checking. Two pumps in a couple months is weird.

It's a possibility. I thought I'd check the return line after this one is installed. It shouldn't be passing too much fuel when in use. If it is I'd suspect the regulator. I forgot to mention that I sprung for the "real deal" Three Bond sealant. Yes it is a huge tube but IMHO, well worth it. The difference is obvious when compared to the cheaper Permatex. It flows much better which is a BIG deal if you've ever resealed these cover halves. I'll probably put the rest together today. As soon as I shake the Cobwebs out of my head this AM. I drank a little at Ron's Friends & Family send off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #79

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I had never realized that the battery had to be relocated too. I stared at that a bit.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 28 2016, 01:59 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 28 2016, 12:37 PM) *

I had never realized that the battery had to be relocated too. I stared at that a bit.

Sort of Kev; it was relocated to repurpose the Subaru batt harness. The relay board was 86'd and the new batt tray was build upon the old relay board support arms. Hey Kevin, don't know if you read my post about the JDM install. On mine, nothing had to be switched or changed over. Plug n play. Should make it a simple switch out for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:38 PM