Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air Conditioning, Evaporator solutions
McMark
post Aug 5 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I did one in Jamie Rust's car. And I'll be done another one in the next few months. Once I find my notes, I'll post what car I got the evap from

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 5 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #42

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,325

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 5 2016, 05:12 PM) *

I did one in Jamie Rust's car. And I'll be done another one in the next few months. Once I find my notes, I'll post what car I got the evap from

McMark
It would be great if you would be willing to share the knowledge, I would love to know the specifics of the evap and the box you put it in. I would even be willing to kick in some $'s to make the project move down the road, especially if you sent me pics.
thanks
ed
+Quote Post
Series9
post Aug 6 2016, 07:06 AM
Post #43

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I'm in the early planning stages for a custom system on a customer car.

I intend to replace the stock air parts under the cowl with something hand-built for the evaporator.

I'm also intending to use the rectangle hole in the dash where the stock HVAC levers go, as an air vent into the cabin.

The only controls will be a button to engage the compressor and a 3-position switch for the fan.

Of course, I'll post a thread when I actually begin the work, but right now it's only in my head.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 6 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #44

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

There is also another unit out there that a 914er started to work on, not sure if it was completed or not. I am calling you out Clay, where you not installing one in Betty's car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) looked like a clean install, with a wiper motor relocation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Someone needs to figure this out before I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) my front cabin firewall to fit a Vintage Air compact unit in. I have three of their units here to see if I can make one of them fit.

Under dash unit will fit just fine, just don't like the look, you know it was an after thought. I am thinking about trying to tuck this up in the cowl, then making new front duct section. It is vacuum based servos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Have to move the ugly controls.

Micro unit, is just .5 to tall, can fix that with cutting the a section out and bumping the firewall down in that section behind the dash. Might take a slightly deeper cut to get duct work in place.

The Mini unit is to long to fit between the cowl supports, could move them.

I have also thought about, cutting one of them up, and moving the fan to a new location, and maybe clocking it, so it fits. It is all just ABS, should not be to hard to come up with something.

Way down the list for me of things for my build, but still in my plans for my 914.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Aug 6 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 7,087

[/quote]

I have played with British cars for years, I can't imagine trying to generate an income from this hobby. For some reason I am willing to do a ton of work, spend stupid money, have hours of frustration for something only I care about. I assume I was dropped on my head as a child.
[/quote]

This made me spew coffee on my monitor. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 6 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 5 2016, 03:40 PM) *

Notice the thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) hanging off the side, sometimes referred to as the H block. This is vital for what we are trying to do. The compressor has a certain designed volume of displacement that needs to be maintained. This is typically done by correctly sizing the evaporator coil to the compressor.

Due to size constraints, we are ultimately forced to use a evaporator coil that is smaller than the displacement of the compressor. This is a bad thing, as it simulates a low air across the evaporator coil condition. In this state, the refrigerant doesn't stay in its gaseous state, and the compressor tries to compress a liquid which is physically impossible. This is certain death for any compressor.

TXV valves will help modulate head pressure by sensing the evaporator coils temperature. As the evap coil gets too cold, a internal bypass within the TXV valve opens.
In addition to having a TXV valve installed, you should also have a suction line accumulator as part of the system. The accumulator will help ensure that only refrigerant gas will enter the compressor not liquid.

Wow, great info. I have just started reading up on this, other than the packaging it seems straightforward. I have given up on off the shelf, looking to get the thing to work, then fit, then make it pretty.
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 7 2016, 12:45 AM
Post #47

Here is a car I saw on Youtube, it at least gives the idea I am looking for. Plus, I love the cover he built over the evap and wipers.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video...amp;action=view
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 7 2016, 02:09 AM
Post #48

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

[quote name='914forme' date='Aug 6 2016, 09:33 AM' post='2381292']
There is also another unit out there that a 914er started to work on, not sure if it was completed or not. I am calling you out Clay, where you not installing one in Betty's car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) looked like a clean install, with a wiper motor relocation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Someone needs to figure this out before I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) my front cabin firewall to fit a Vintage Air compact unit in. I have three of their units here to see if I can make one of them fit.

Under dash unit will fit just fine, just don't like the look, you know it was an after thought. I am thinking about trying to tuck this up in the cowl, then making new front duct section. It is vacuum based servos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Have to move the ugly controls.

Micro unit, is just .5 to tall, can fix that with cutting the a section out and bumping the firewall down in that section behind the dash. Might take a slightly deeper cut to get duct work in place.

The Mini unit is to long to fit between the cowl supports, could move them.

I have also thought about, cutting one of them up, and moving the fan to a new location, and maybe clocking it, so it fits. It is all just ABS, should not be to hard to come up with something.

Way down the list for me of things for my build, but still in my plans for my 914.
[/quote

The one I was working on was for my car, not Betty's. Hers has the underdash unit in it, and it works well.

Mine got postponed due to the engine replacement for my car. I got the wiper motor relocated to make more room for the evaporator, but didn't get any farther.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 7 2016, 07:03 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 7 2016, 04:09 AM) *

The one I was working on was for my car, not Betty's. Hers has the underdash unit in it, and it works well.

Mine got postponed due to the engine replacement for my car. I got the wiper motor relocated to make more room for the evaporator, but didn't get any farther.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Oh well hoping you got it done.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 7 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #50

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 6 2016, 07:33 AM) *

You may remember that I struggled with this same thing. If you are willing to cutout that area it is doable. You can even use their micro switches on the existing slide controls. In the end I decided that the under dash just made more sense. Besides, the look IS period correct albeit an after thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 7 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 7 2016, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 6 2016, 07:33 AM) *

You may remember that I struggled with this same thing. If you are willing to cutout that area it is doable. You can even use their micro switches on the existing slide controls. In the end I decided that the under dash just made more sense. Besides, the look IS period correct albeit an after thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Kent I get it, not saying its bad just sayin' it ain't pretty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) For me, I might cut, I might cut the AC unit voiding any warranty that might have been implied. Who knows I might change my mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) More than likely what ever I do it will be done three times over for the sheer hell of it. And I am sure lots of welding will be involved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Aug 7 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Has anybody tried to build one into the space taken up by the foam footrest? Seems like a good place to hide it without having to relocate other things.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 7 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #53

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Aug 7 2016, 08:52 PM) *

Has anybody tried to build one into the space taken up by the foam footrest? Seems like a good place to hide it without having to relocate other things.

I bought this for $70.00. I have not had a chance to test fitment. For the price, I figured I could use it for parts if it doesn't fit. The plan was to plump the existing side vents into it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A-C-UNIVERSAL-...tHz&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
amfab
post Aug 9 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 20,004

I was wondering if a cool-only system could be custom built into the center console.
The gauges could move forward an inch or so to add room.
Cut intake vents near the floor toward the front, and run hoses out the top to the side vents, and maybe a vent at the top of the console face?
+Quote Post
amfab
post Aug 10 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 20,004

I measured the console and drew up an idea I had, but its pretty limited in space. I think a rear cabin evaporator out of a Town&Country van could be made to fit cuz they are really small. I do not know how effective it would be. Put a blower in the bottom and flaps with vents up top that could fold out when in use and close to maintain stock look. Like this:Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 11 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 10 2016, 07:24 PM) *

I measured the console and drew up an idea I had, but its pretty limited in space. I think a rear cabin evaporator out of a Town&Country van could be made to fit cuz they are really small. I do not know how effective it would be. Put a blower in the bottom and flaps with vents up top that could fold out when in use and close to maintain stock look. Like this:Attached Image

Very cool idea. I am heading to Vegas next week and am going to go by Rennegade Hybrids. I understand they have an evaporator which fits under the cowl. I will let you know when I see it.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 11 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #57

I found this, it is one of the Ebay condensersevaporator, it fits, no heat though, but it would fit.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 11 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 11 2016, 05:42 PM) *

I found this, it is one of the Ebay condensers, it fits, no heat though, but it would fit.

Attached Image

This looks doable, just have to plumb the air intake into the cabin.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 11 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Aug 11 2016, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 11 2016, 05:42 PM) *

I found this, it is one of the Ebay condensers, it fits, no heat though, but it would fit.

Attached Image

This looks doable, just have to plumb the air intake into the cabin.

it is all flex duct, so it should not be much of an issue to do that.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 11 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #60

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Guys.....evaporators and condensors are not the same thing

I am in the same boat as a recirc air exchange for the evap only as trying to chill ambient air wouldn.t work well. Haven.t done any heat calcs...but that is my quess. Big thing is heat rejection...my quess is there is a lot of heat gain in our little cabins.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:31 AM