Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why EFI?, maybe excellence was expected and they came as close as they could..
Gunn1
post Jun 12 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 12 2016, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jun 12 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) in our midst. This guy ping'd the Troll meter on his first post. Confirmed here. I wont give it the dignity or a response other than (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

And your a senior Member? Must have some erectile dysfunction issues... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

He,he,he,he
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 12 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Oh no, another senseless tread from the expert that joined in 2016.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 12 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh, OU812. As the judge probably told you when he issued a restraining order on behalf of your ex ....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 12 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #64

I feel like Trump
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 12 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 12 2016, 09:12 PM) *

I feel like Trump

Now that was actually humorous! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 12 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #66

QUOTE(396 @ Jun 12 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Oh no, another senseless tread from the expert that joined in 2016.

Must be a senior member thing....never proclaimed that I was a expert, I'm not, that much is clear.

I admit it.....

Although I got a lot of useful info from some of the group so I guess I got that going for me.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 12 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #67

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 12 2016, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jun 12 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) in our midst. This guy ping'd the Troll meter on his first post. Confirmed here. I wont give it the dignity or a response other than (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

And your a senior Member? Must have some erectile dysfunction issues... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

*you're* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Jun 12 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 12 2016, 08:05 AM) *
In a street car I don't give a poop what you claim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) your HP numbers are, torque is king.

Which is why I no longer have any fun in an ICE car. Hasta be electric, where the torque maxes out a zero RPM... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jun 12 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 15,967

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 11 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

Been reading on different types of fuel delivery systems and their pro and cons.

Many of the Guru's (about 5 to 1) prefer carburation.

With this being the case, why Did Porsche mess up when they went go the EFI route with the 914?

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I would like to keep my car stock with the factory EFI, but increasingly getting more difficult to do with so little information backing it up.

fixed it for ya
you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
cjl
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 12 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 11 2016, 01:59 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

Been reading on different types of fuel delivery systems and their pro and cons.

Many of the Guru's (about 5 to 1) prefer carburation.

With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the 914?

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I would like to keep my car stock with the factory EFI, but increasingly getting more difficult to do with so little information backing it up.

They may "prefer" carbs but it doesn't make them better. Most likely they are preferred because old schoolers understand them and they are easier to work on and tune performance mods around.

Porsche did it because on a production car fuel injection is better in every possible way.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 12 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #71

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 13 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #72

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 12 2016, 11:29 PM) *

+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jun 13 2016, 07:42 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Sitting on the fence watching this thread unfold, it just seems to be another differing opinion of ego’s with little or no hard facts displayed in this thread (albeit the facts are numerous and available elsewhere on 914 world).
It’s unfortunately this type of thread that clogs up the ease at which I’ve been able to seek out useful and meaning information on this site. The net result is that I simply go and find out for myself rather than trying to wade through all the opinionated drivel.
My latest task was to see what happens when you fit carbs to a 2.0L FI stock engine. The only way I know how to get hard facts (rather than opinion) was to go do it, and get the car on a Dyno. I spent a whole day on the dyno, did 12 runs with various jet settings (increasing in steps of 5) and graphed Air Fuel ratio, torque and Horsepower through the rev ranges.
For clarity the 12 graph overlays have been thinned out to 3 runs showing a fuel band where best driveability v jet range was found.
Interpret this data as you will, it shows the pros and cons of fitting carbs over the whole rev ranges.
It’s not heated opinion its hard fact.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i265.photobucket.com-18255-1465825340.1.jpg)

This information is worth far more than the 4 pages that proceed my post.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 13 2016, 07:44 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

The D-Jet in my '74 2L is not terrible, and is preferable in many ways. And in fact, the general design is damned close to what is being installed on new cars today. It simply suffers from being 40+-yr-old component technology.

Within the context of 1974 (1974, dude), I'd suggest it was a very forward-thinking, modern design.

Given the motivation (and cash), I'd toss a bigger throttle body on the car with a better TPS, a better MAP sensor, a modern tunable ECU (Megasquirt), and get rid of the four-decades-old wiring. Hell, I'd even toss a catalytic converter on the thing and see if I could tune it not only for driveability and power, but for emissions as well.

Carbs are a whole different kettle of fish (I'm re-learning them on my race car project) but you just can't beat the turn-the-key-and-go of electronic fuel injection. Learn it, love it, live it...I suggest EFI will eventually catch on in the modern marketplace...
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 13 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jun 13 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Sitting on the fence watching this thread unfold, it just seems to be another differing opinion of ego’s with little or no hard facts displayed in this thread (albeit the facts are numerous and available elsewhere on 914 world).
It’s unfortunately this type of thread that clogs up the ease at which I’ve been able to seek out useful and meaning information on this site. The net result is that I simply go and find out for myself rather than trying to wade through all the opinionated drivel.
My latest task was to see what happens when you fit carbs to a 2.0L FI stock engine. The only way I know how to get hard facts (rather than opinion) was to go do it, and get the car on a Dyno. I spent a whole day on the dyno, did 12 runs with various jet settings (increasing in steps of 5) and graphed Air Fuel ratio, torque and Horsepower through the rev ranges.
For clarity the 12 graph overlays have been thinned out to 3 runs showing a fuel band where best driveability v jet range was found.
Interpret this data as you will, it shows the pros and cons of fitting carbs over the whole rev ranges.
It’s not heated opinion its hard fact.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i265.photobucket.com-18255-1465825340.1.jpg)

I thank you for the comments and data
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Jun 13 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #76

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

Wow, 4 pages and no one states the obvious! PORSCHE had nothing to do with the engine or the fuel injection. It's a VOLKSWAGEN Typ 4 from stem to stern, top to bottom straight from the VW parts bin to the Karmann factory. It never spent a second at Porsche. In fact, the car with the exception of the -6's never saw the Porsche factory. If you look carefully at the ID plate it says VW Typ 47. Rant over.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 13 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #77

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jun 13 2016, 06:42 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Bravo, that is awesome info. Fuel delivery can only do so much to develop power, irregardless of the delivery method.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jun 13 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Thanks Jeff.

Now I throw out the challenge to someone running a stock 2.0L with FI (NOT MODIFIED) in any way and running well, to go do a dyno run and post a print out of HP v AFR and we can all see the differences between Carb & FI in black & white once and for all.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 13 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #79

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Here is a summary of the factory specs:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 13 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #80

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Jun 13 2016, 07:55 AM) *

Wow, 4 pages and no one states the obvious! PORSCHE had nothing to do with the engine or the fuel injection. It's a VOLKSWAGEN Typ 4 from stem to stern, top to bottom straight from the VW parts bin to the Karmann factory. It never spent a second at Porsche. In fact, the car with the exception of the -6's never saw the Porsche factory. If you look carefully at the ID plate it says VW Typ 47. Rant over.

Quote from Hans Mezger, who oversaw engine development for Porsche back in the day ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1623-1260895029.jpg)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:04 PM