Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And so it begins…..again
infraredcalvin
post Jul 26 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #41

Distracted Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

So many of these stories end with lots of parts (sometimes whole cars) gone missing, impounded, or stuck in frozen asset court hell. Get your stuff back (be glad you got it all) and move on, chalk the $$ up to lesson learned, besides values are going up. Anger and energy toward this guy is going to ruin your passion for the car and possibly lead to him to quit taking your calls and your remaining parts disappearing.

Get your stuff and post a warning here to keep another from making a mistake with him. Focus your energy on your car!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jul 26 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Sorry to hear of the issues with your build.
As for the suggestion to jump in and take the idiot to small claims court now, as mentioned above, you might not get all your parts back.
Post your comments on yelp and any car forum so to alert his future potential customers. Years ago, I had a local garden shop come by to give me a quote to install new lawn on the front and back of my house. This Crook came and measued the lawns, I gave him $500 cash ,half of the project. Being so trust worthy, I never even ask for a receipt.
Fast forward, after digging up the lawn, this F...ing Crook calls my cell to explain that he made a mistake and is not willing to lose $ on the job. I could pay him another $1500 to complete the job or he will simply leave the sod for me to complete the job...

Needless to say. I paid and got a Real World education on how crooked people can be....oh yes I drive by his garden shop every day and have thought how I can resolve this...
In the end, I just let it go...but I still remember it after 35 years as I drive by!!!!!
+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Jul 27 2016, 05:59 AM
Post #43

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are some good people in the 914 community and two great friends who I met through this site, but from shops I learn one thing. Rely on yourself. Fat Performance was good though.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 16 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I have the car back, and after fixing a bunch of crappy mechanical work this guy did, and a bunch of $$ that I keep spending, I have the car on the road and it is fun to be driving again.

Man, I missed DRIVING.

Why did I have to get the 914 infection? Why me?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 16 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

It's actually a pretty solid car.

PLEASE stop me from spending more money on it.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 16 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

You could buy parts for my car instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Keep drivin the sucker!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 18 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

I fiddled with hooking up the fog lights yesterday, no luck, wiring seems to be correct. I got in the car today, and it wouldn't start. I push started it down the hill and it started right up, but now no tach, gas gauge, and directionals. That's random.

I un-hooked the fogs and left them the way they were before. I'm about ready to sell EVERYTHING and just get out of this hobby altogether. I'm so frustrated, my fucking crooked mechanic STILL hasn't come clean with my money and engine.

Oh, and these Scheels showed up today…..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 18 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #48

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(396 @ Jul 27 2016, 12:34 AM) *

Sorry to hear of the issues with your build.
As for the suggestion to jump in and take the idiot to small claims court now, as mentioned above, you might not get all your parts back.
Post your comments on yelp and any car forum so to alert his future potential customers. Years ago, I had a local garden shop come by to give me a quote to install new lawn on the front and back of my house. This Crook came and measued the lawns, I gave him $500 cash ,half of the project. Being so trust worthy, I never even ask for a receipt.
Fast forward, after digging up the lawn, this F...ing Crook calls my cell to explain that he made a mistake and is not willing to lose $ on the job. I could pay him another $1500 to complete the job or he will simply leave the sod for me to complete the job...

Needless to say. I paid and got a Real World education on how crooked people can be....oh yes I drive by his garden shop every day and have thought how I can resolve this...
In the end, I just let it go...but I still remember it after 35 years as I drive by!!!!!

You had a Cell Phone in 1981? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Aug 18 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #49

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 16 2016, 06:48 PM) *

sounds like you need to get some money BACK from this car. sounds like you could sell it soon ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 18 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

I have decided to sell it.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Aug 18 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #51

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

You still have the black one?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 18 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2016, 06:23 PM) *

I fiddled with hooking up the fog lights yesterday, no luck, wiring seems to be correct. I got in the car today, and it wouldn't start. I push started it down the hill and it started right up, but now no tach, gas gauge, and directionals. That's random.

I un-hooked the fogs and left them the way they were before. I'm about ready to sell EVERYTHING and just get out of this hobby altogether. I'm so frustrated, my fucking crooked mechanic STILL hasn't come clean with my money and engine.

Maybe you could have a "sort out the white car" get together. Probably not much wrong with it, just the cumulative BS total is weighing on you. Might want to give it a break for a day or two first. I've been there. Especially with wiring. Sucks about the mechanic who ripped you off.

And you can't just leave, we have to vote on it!

I vote no.

Sorry man, I like your posts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Aug 19 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #53

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Maybe you could have a "sort out the white car" get together. Probably not much wrong with it, just the cumulative BS total is weighing on you. Might want to give it a break for a day or two first. I've been there. Especially with wiring. Sucks about the mechanic who ripped you off.

I second both of these ideas... Take the weekend off, have a few (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) then reassess the situation.

I think make a plan to get the white one to a point where you can sell it comfortably and have a decent amount of cash back in your hand to finish the black car with the -6 in it.

Its a tough situation to be in, but it could be a LOT worse
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Aug 19 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 17,352

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 16 2016, 06:48 PM) *

It's actually a pretty solid car.

Are you going to give us goof balls first crack????
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 19 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Sorry that it's a Debbie Downer thread, but it seems I take one step forward and two steps back.

I'm just frustrated.

I'd like to know if there is some advice on how the horn wire in the column could affect the tachometer, directionals, and gas gauge not working? I was also fiddling with the fog lights and hooked them up properly. The dash light on the switch came on, but no lights. Now the emergency switch doesn't work either. No blown fuses, no hot spots anywhere, no smoking switches or burnt wiring anywhere.

I thought tomorrow might be a potential Cars and Coffee appearance. No go.
+Quote Post
Vapor_locked
post Aug 19 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 14,746
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 18 2016, 06:23 PM) *

Oh, and these Scheels showed up today…..

Attached Image

mmmmm...scheels!!!... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) Those would help me feel better!!

I agree with taking some time to meditate on the approach to take regarding future plans- things done in haste, out of frustration, often lead to regrets. You may come to the same conclusion in the end, but at least it will have been done with a clear mind and more sound reasoning, I'm sure. For the record, I hate wiring & electronics, I'd be feeling the same way, were it me in your position, which is why I'm giving you the opinion that I currently am.

I also think the get together to sort things out is a good idea, a little help & camaraderie from people also infected by the sickness may help to reduce the inflammation!!!
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Aug 19 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 17,273

It was working fine yesterday when you stopped by.,.,. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 19 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #58

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 19 2016, 04:05 PM) *

Sorry that it's a Debbie Downer thread, but it seems I take one step forward and two steps back.

I'm just frustrated.

I'd like to know if there is some advice on how the horn wire in the column could affect the tachometer, directionals, and gas gauge not working? I was also fiddling with the fog lights and hooked them up properly. The dash light on the switch came on, but no lights. Now the emergency switch doesn't work either. No blown fuses, no hot spots anywhere, no smoking switches or burnt wiring anywhere.

I thought tomorrow might be a potential Cars and Coffee appearance. No go.

horn and directional circuits could be shorting out in the column, unplug the plug at the bottom of the column and see if things settle with the gas gauge and the other weird electrical issues.

That short harness in the steering wheel may be damaged, but you can set it and pull it out to replace it if required.

Drop the fuse box down, see if it was pushed up in place wrong and created a short

Check the back of the fuse panel to see if there are any non stock circuits, easy enough to spot.

Look for spade connectors touching.

Another place for shorts is in the tunnel area in front of the seats where the wiring comes up on top of the tunnel....screws can damage that wiring.
Fog lights only come on when headlights are on low beam, and on.
There is a trigger coming off the headlight relay to the foglights....gotta see if there is power at the foglight relay under the cowl.

Simple cool mod is to get a standard bosch relay at the parts store and wire up the fog lights directly to the switch, not through the headlights.
Then you can run with just the fog lights on....or driving lights...whatever they are.

Rich
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Aug 19 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 19,106

And after rewiring my 914 during the resto, I can tell you that the "as delivered" circuits for the lighting on that car is a f*cking nightmare of extra wiring, especially at the fuse panel. The switch is a total frankenstein with 11 spade connectors hanging off it. I way simplified mine plus went with a Jwest panel. Works beautifully now.

+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 19 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Thanks, Adam, I'll get in touch over the weekend to look at your car…...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:21 AM