Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake distance from cones to turn in, 3 cones, 2 cones, 1 cone, etc.
john rogers
post Apr 6 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

Since the question of braking has come up as it does not and then, does any one know the distance from the 3 cone, 2 cone and 1 cone markers at the CA Speedway to the turn in at turn 3? I have some formulas for computing the amount of brake energy (heat) to disapate during braking and they need either the time to slow or the distance to slow? I figure speed is 135 MPH (my foot is floored) and corner speed is about 40 MPH and the car weighs 2250 pounds. No wheel lockup is figured since I can brake pretty hard and not slide any on a track that smooth. I don't think they are a set distance but then again they might be? Any help is appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rough_Rider
post Apr 7 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Smurf Zone

Member No.: 2,547

Don't know the distances....

But if your factoring an exact distance remember to add some extra feet for settling the car into the corner. Not a good idea to brake hard say max threshold brake down to a set speed, then jump of brake & immediatly turn. You should let the car settle. I've heard stories from many racers that as they feel their slowing down ie moving braking points back & turning in earlier they actually decrease lap times.

If you've mastered trail braking, where you start to brake will be different as you hit the pedal harder to begin then ease off towards the turn in & apex.

A further complication is engine braking, especially if combined with heel & toe. In theory engine braking will increase the amount of retardation "i think thats a real word :-)" Therefore there's potentially more brake effect possible.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Apr 7 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #3

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

The POC is running the Tribute to LeMans this weekend at Ca Speedway. Are you running John? If not go out during lunch time parade laps and get a questimate.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:49 PM