Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake distance from cones to turn in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
Since the question of braking has come up as it does not and then, does any one know the distance from the 3 cone, 2 cone and 1 cone markers at the CA Speedway to the turn in at turn 3? I have some formulas for computing the amount of brake energy (heat) to disapate during braking and they need either the time to slow or the distance to slow? I figure speed is 135 MPH (my foot is floored) and corner speed is about 40 MPH and the car weighs 2250 pounds. No wheel lockup is figured since I can brake pretty hard and not slide any on a track that smooth. I don't think they are a set distance but then again they might be? Any help is appreciated.
Rough_Rider
Don't know the distances....

But if your factoring an exact distance remember to add some extra feet for settling the car into the corner. Not a good idea to brake hard say max threshold brake down to a set speed, then jump of brake & immediatly turn. You should let the car settle. I've heard stories from many racers that as they feel their slowing down ie moving braking points back & turning in earlier they actually decrease lap times.

If you've mastered trail braking, where you start to brake will be different as you hit the pedal harder to begin then ease off towards the turn in & apex.

A further complication is engine braking, especially if combined with heel & toe. In theory engine braking will increase the amount of retardation "i think thats a real word :-)" Therefore there's potentially more brake effect possible.
drew365
The POC is running the Tribute to LeMans this weekend at Ca Speedway. Are you running John? If not go out during lunch time parade laps and get a questimate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.