Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replica Fuchs, advantages & disadvantages?
Dominic
post Jun 22 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #41

Dominic

Group: Members
Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

If anyone is looking for 15" Fuchs Deep 6 or Deep 7R replicas, take a look at Group 4 Wheels. They make a real nice product cast in Italy by a real wheel mfg, not some china knock off.
As many have stated earlier, some of the 40+ year old Fuchs wheels that have been driven hard can be cracked.

http://www.group4wheels.com/wheels_dp6.php

Cheers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jun 22 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2016, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 22 2016, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 21 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Don't do it, not if you drive hard.

Wow! I have heard of that happening. Would the euromeister wheels be OK for a street set of wheels? I haven't heard anything bad on those.

The Rota Fox's also seem like a good choice if you like 17's.

Anything can happen to old parts but if we are going to give up on older Fuchs, we migh as well give up on old engines, transmissions, ect. Forget about 356's. Just drive priuses.

The picture I used was the failure of a fake FUCH, not a real one. I've never seen a real one fail like that. As far as driving a 356, I drove mine all day Saturday.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Jun 22 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #43

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 22 2016, 06:37 PM) *

If anyone is looking for 15" Fuchs Deep 6 or Deep 7R replicas, take a look at Group 4 Wheels. They make a real nice product cast in Italy by a real wheel mfg, not some china knock off.
As many have stated earlier, some of the 40+ year old Fuchs wheels that have been driven hard can be cracked.

Cheers!

Simon: Dominic's advice is good. Take a look at their campagnolo reps. They look very nice in gold, especially on white or red teeners.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i13.photobucket.com-19057-1466622565.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 22 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #44

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2016, 10:19 AM) *

Wow! I have heard of that happening. Would the euromeister wheels be OK for a street set of wheels? I haven't heard anything bad on those.

Anything can happen to old parts but if we are going to give up on older Fuchs, we migh as well give up on old engines, transmissions, ect. Forget about 356's. Just drive priuses.

A failed rim can be a little more fatal than a failed motor or transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 22 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #45

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 22 2016, 11:46 AM) *

The picture I used was the failure of a fake FUCH, not a real one. I've never seen a real one fail like that. As far as driving a 356, I drove mine all day Saturday.

First, it's FUCHS. The "S" is part of the name, not a way to make it plural. (It's German for "Fox", hence the fox-head logo. You wouldn't say a single fox was a fok, would you?)

Second, I've seen the real ones fail like that. One of them happened to a friend of mine, though the wheel in question had been (professionally) converted to a three-piece wheel. Cracked right between the lug holes, came apart, and damaged the car. He was thankful that it happened on the way to a DE and not at the DE.

I know of several more instances where real ones have failed in similar fashions, even without having been turned into three-piece wheels.

They're old, and it is very difficult to tell how hard they were used before you got them. You can Zyglow them for cracks, you can X-ray them, you can just decide the odds against it are really steep, or you can buy brand-new wheels.

For my car, at least so far, I'm choosing to ignore the problem and use my old wheels.

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 22 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #46

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 22 2016, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2016, 10:19 AM) *

A failed rim can be a little more fatal than a failed motor or transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

45 year old aluminum hubs, aluminum trailing arms, aluminum cross members, ect. Lots of critical aluminum parts on 914/911's.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jun 22 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 22 2016, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 22 2016, 11:46 AM) *

First, it's FUCHS. The "S" is part of the name, not a way to make it plural. (It's German for "Fox", hence the fox-head logo. You wouldn't say a single fox was a fok, would you?)

Second, I've seen the real ones fail like that. One of them happened to a friend of mine, though the wheel in question had been (professionally) converted to a three-piece wheel. Cracked right between the lug holes, came apart, and damaged the car. He was thankful that it happened on the way to a DE and not at the DE.

I know of several more instances where real ones have failed in similar fashions, even without having been turned into three-piece wheels.

They're old, and it is very difficult to tell how hard they were used before you got them. You can Zyglow them for cracks, you can X-ray them, you can just decide the odds against it are really steep, or you can buy brand-new wheels.

For my car, at least so far, I'm choosing to ignore the problem and use my old wheels.

--DD

I'm sure some real FUCHS have cracked like that, but the repro I showed was fairly new if my info was correct, so it should not have cracked like a decades old wheel, it's like the new flywheels from China that hand grenade quickly. Repro stuff is fine for cosmetic stuff, but I never trust it with hard components, not if the real stuff is available.

+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 22 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #48

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

New or Old Wheels can crack! Stresses from Track Use & Grippier Rubber put forces on wheels that they sometimes can't overcome. Remember the Fuchs that were on our cars were never intended for slicks or downforce.

The Picture from unobtainable can happen to Real or Fakes, but most I have seen are Fakes. This is because the "Casted" area around the Lugs is not Thick enough or Strong enough! Many Multiples of Impact Guns can worsen that area.

If I'm tracking a Car, I have more faith in an INSPECTED 40 year Forged Wheel than I would have on a New or Used replica Cast Wheel!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 23 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #49

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 21 2016, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 21 2016, 02:09 PM) *

If that is the case I wouldn't be looking at 5 lug at all, nor would I keep the stock 4 lug, I'd redrill for 4x100mm and run one of the numerous good quality rims available for Miatas in 15x7 which will also allow a near perfect offset.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/process.html

Only "bad" rim I've heard about are the Rotas which I don't think anyone sells anymore.

haha trust me Ive looked into going 4x100 because the SSR wheels I have are near and dear to my heart, but it doesnt seem like a good idea because of the centerbore and spacing. I actually think the other very common jap wheel pattern of 4x114 (or something) would be better as the offsets are common to the 30s and 40s with a selection nearly equal to the 4x100.

4x114 >> 4x4.5"
It's much more common OEM, most asian and Chrysler. FWD and RWD offsets. Larger center bores, though none 914. I've toyed with the idea as you can get some really nice track worthy wheels at mass market car prices.
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Jun 24 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #50

Dominic

Member No.: 149

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 22 2016, 10:37 AM) *

Cheers!

The good news for us in the U.S. is that all U.K. products just got a lot cheaper due to the British pound losing ground against the USD, and it's predicted to go lower.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 24 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #51

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 22 2016, 06:14 PM) *
... the repro I showed was fairly new if my info was correct, so it should not have cracked like a decades old wheel ...

Good point!

Quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. If someone were to start looking for replica wheels, it would be a really good idea to research the makers before plunking down any cash.

But also recognize that the old OEM wheels, while good quality, have probably seen a whole lot of use.

--DD
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 24 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #52

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2016, 02:37 PM) *

Quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. If someone were to start looking for replica wheels, it would be a really good idea to research the makers before plunking down any cash.

--DD

and we've come full circle!... this was kinda the whole point of this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 24 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #53

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 24 2016, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2016, 02:37 PM) *

--DD

and we've come full circle!... this was kinda the whole point of this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes and no....you asked about replica wheels as a whole, when in fact they need to be compared one on one, brand by brand.

One could assume based on price that the more expensive the better which so far in the case does seem true to a point (A $159 2.0 Fuchs isn't going to be better than a $99 2.0 Fuchs I'd say, just different profit margin, good chance same exact manufacture)

When you find the wheel you want, you ask for that brand if known (like Braid or Group 4 or Empi)
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jun 25 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2016, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 22 2016, 06:14 PM) *
... the repro I showed was fairly new if my info was correct, so it should not have cracked like a decades old wheel ...

Good point!

But also recognize that the old OEM wheels, while good quality, have probably seen a whole lot of use.

--DD

agree with that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

problem is, for a layman without any knowledge of metallurgy or manufacturing techniques, there's not a lot of easily accessible scientific data to guide one's decision.

Me? for a daily driver I'll take my chance with replicas. On the track...I'd want good reputable wheels
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:55 AM