Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introduction of guy and car...., first 914 on its way....
EdwardBlume
post Aug 15 2016, 03:07 AM
Post #41

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Enjoy your CA / USA ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Aug 15 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #42

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Great story ! Thanks for sharing with us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks for adding to VIN database too.
Keep this thread alive with future mods or changes
And:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 29 2016, 04:51 AM
Post #43

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

As mentioned, another company came to do the last polishing on the 914. All small spots and stains were removed by polishing the car.
Attached Image
It took more time than expected, but it looks nice again, just like how it was when it was bought (before the shipping started).
Attached Image
Yes, that is a beetle in the back, it's job was to hold the 914 targaroof during the cleaning :-)

From now on I can start on the work on the 914, and I will create a list of things to do after the first tech checks.
To be continued !
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Aug 29 2016, 05:04 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Looking good Frank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 25 2016, 06:06 AM
Post #45

Ok, so after the oil- and oilfilter change I decided to check what was not working first, since I need to get it ready for the Ducth Registration Test, where all should be in good order.

First the lights :
I found the rear light was not working, the instrument illumination does not work and license platelights do not work.

The rear light was a pita to solve. It was just the bulb that was not making good contact, but it was really hard to open the unit that was glued together by some previous fix where the glue also touched the lens at some points....but got that sorted.

The licenseplate lights had a short in the wiring, and could not find the issue and blew many fuses in the process. To get it working I did rewire the lights and attached the positive to the rearlights, instead of on its own fuse. Works now.
They should come on at the same time as the lights, so they are switched properly.

The instrumentlights are a mystery. well...not really...they get no 12V. The blue/black wire is somewhere loosing its power under the dash, really hard to find where. So after a lot of swearing, I decided to come up with the following
I bought some blue/black wire to keep the wirecoding the same and bought some fittings from a VW beetle and created a new instrument-illumination-harness. negative ground comes from the meters themselves, 12V I will maybe get from the fuse5 wires (lights) since they should come on with the lights at the same time. Or maybe I will check if the blue/black wire under the tunnelcarpet for the (not installed) consolemeters has juice and take it from there.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 25 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #46

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

On my 74, a body shop had mis-wired the license plate lights. One of the two electrical tabs actually has continuity to the mounting screws; that one is supposed to get the brown ground wire. If you hook it up the wrong way around, the fuse will pop every time you turn on the headlights.

Not only will that take out your license plate lights, but also the rear compartment light and the center console instrument illumination lights. I don't remember if it also took out the regular instrument lights.

My car is a 74; the center console light wiring is a bit different on the 73s so I think those will lose the main instrument lighting if the license plate lights are mis-wired.

--DD
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 26 2016, 12:11 AM
Post #47

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Frank,
You've mentioned the targa cup a couple of times. They have been reproduced by 914Rubber.Com and are great. If you must have original, I'll send you my old dirty ones.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 26 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #48

@Dave_Darling : thanks for this feedabck, I will check once more the wiring diagram, I was not aware it worked like this, at least I did not notice a relationship between those components (but I do not use these diagrams every day...)

@ConeDodger : thanks for the offer. I already bought them at the Porsche dealer directly, I mean the plastic parts that hold the roof in the trunk. They are super white, and maybe your old dirty ones were a better solution :-) Now I will have to replace them both since they are far apart in color !
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Sep 26 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Nice looking car! You will get to drive yours much more than I can drive mine as it is safely tucked away in a heated garage in the winter. Snow doesn't bother me or a 914 but a lot of salt is used on the roads in Atlantic Canada during the winter months and it would eat my teener in no time! Mine is a California car originally and is great shape, only sees rain if I get caught in it. Just finished the Acadia Region tour on Sunday, did around 650 KM, car worked great, lots of fun, 28 Porsches on that tour, 2 were 356's, and mine was the only 914. Get used to people coming up to you and asking questions about your 914, when you are getting fuel, going shopping etc. that is part of the fun.

Good luck with your teener and happy motoring!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 30 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #50

@Ian: thanks. I also have a T2b and a beetle...So I guess I have an idea what to expect... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I also did set Dwell.
Since I was reading about 914 stuff (Haynes, online, 914world etc) to get more familiair with the car (first 914) I came across this step, so I decided to do it as well.

Dwell setting in progress ....
(I know boring pic to you guys, but I learn some stuff here !)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 30 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 29 2016, 03:51 AM) *

As mentioned, another company came to do the last polishing on the 914. All small spots and stains were removed by polishing the car.

It took more time than expected, but it looks nice again, just like how it was when it was bought (before the shipping started).

Yes, that is a beetle in the back, it's job was to hold the 914 targaroof during the cleaning :-)

From now on I can start on the work on the 914, and I will create a list of things to do after the first tech checks.
To be continued !

Just to share: Before and after when i got my 75 1.8 FI. Hand rubbing and polishing.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Oct 10 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #52

Ok, so I am busy prepping the 914 for the Dutch test by the DMV (called RDW over here) where they will test Identity, structure/damage and the feared technical test where all must work incl the smallest light, wiper and horn etc.

The lights had some issues, I solved that, but next were the drivinglights. I thought I had to disconnect them, but we checked regulations and it is not stated it is not allowed. It is not allowed to project orange light to the back it sais, which it does not really since it is on the fromt/side. So I found some nice driverlights and mounted them (old ones were cracked, rubber too far gone)

Next were the lights in the turnsignal lens. I am not allowed to project orange light to the front while driving, which they do. I thought an easy solution for the test was to turn them around like this:
Attached Image
But they do project orange glow anyway on the front of the car while they are mounted upside-down, not allowed, so not an option. We also found out that indicator light color can either be orange or yellow as long as they do not stay on while driving. OR...white ! which can also stay on while driving....

So...I bought clear lenses on evilbay and I think that solves the issue for the test, since I have no colored light on the front (white stays on while driving ) and when using the indicator they stay white (on/off/on) which is allowed according to regulations.
Attached Image
I hope they will accept this, actually my worry is when the indicator goes on/off/on/off...in blinkmode when off I have no white drivinglight in this setup...and I should have a drivinglight...I think I can show them I tried to take action and am serious....the instructions are not so clear on this....we will see at the test later. But thinking about it...I do have a driving light when the indicator is in use...the orange one on the side ! well....I guess I have to wait what the judge will say....

Another thing off the to-do list.....one small step closer to book the test ....
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Nov 29 2016, 03:45 AM
Post #53

Ok, no real big updates, but I managed to get all the electrical little issues solved as good as possible.
I also did replace the 022.133.083 vacuum elbow
(see http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=295563)
and of course the vacuumhoses connected to that.

I also wanted to replace all other vacuumhoses, but it was not so easy to find all correct diameters. it took some time and I had to use some alternatives. example : For the ones going to carcoal-canister-pipes in the engineroom (filter is up front) I ended up using reinforced fuel hose (no strong vacuum there, so should be OK).

Small things to do to get her ready for the big registrion/technical/DMV test, and in the meantime I am reading up in books and this forum to gather knowledge.
Thanks for the support sofar, you are very helpful !
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 25 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #54

My Santa knew I had a new hobby this year.....i got a copper sparkplug brush, a correct socket for CV bolts AND the butylcord for my rear window !Attached Image
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jan 7 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #55

Hi, today was a good day for my part-list.
I found a NOS 021 251 171 M
I have a 1.7 original exhaust, which needs an endpipe. this is the endpipe that start in the middle of the exhaust. It is No Longer Available, and the solution would be to buy a later type exhaust with the short endpipe.
I searched a long time, but found it....NOS in Germany, 600 miles away.
Today it arrived. Another part to be taken off from my list !!!!!
Attached Image
The original factory sticker is still attached:
Attached Image
Happy Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 7 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #56

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jan 7 2017, 12:31 PM) *
Hi, today was a good day for my part-list.
I found a NOS 021 251 171 M
I have a 1.7 original exhaust, which needs an endpipe. this is the endpipe that start in the middle of the exhaust. It is No Longer Available, and the solution would be to buy a later type exhaust with the short endpipe.
I searched a long time, but found it....NOS in Germany, 600 miles away.
Today it arrived. Another part to be taken off from my list !!!!!
The original factory sticker is still attached:
Happy Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I wonder if there is a market for those?

Someone with the right skills could probably replicate them without much problem.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jan 7 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I noticed somewhere along this thread that 914Rubber and PMB shops were disparaged... / or was that a joke?/..

They may be a little high on their pricing but they also, in most cases, are the only source for the products one needs in the 914 world we are bound to. As for Eric's work, it may be the only thing between you and death. I opt for his solution on brakes and other safety solutions every time.

Your car is of a great color. Hopefully the regs in the Netherlands are negotiable. If not, call Trump! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jan 7 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #58

Hi Forrestkhaag, thanks for the compliment on the color. Not everybody likes it (my wife still is trying to get used to it for example :-) )
I like it !
PS
the word "disparaged"...I had to look it up and I see it is a negative thing. No. In this post they are not mentioned as far as I know.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jan 7 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #59

@SirAndy : yes, they can be fabricated easily, I did ask around when I could not find one, even stainless steel is an option, no problem. Even a simple pipe with 2 bends without the thicker part was an option (cheaper). I found this original NOS one, so I will not go that route anymore.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 7 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #60

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 7 2017, 12:53 PM) *
I noticed somewhere along this thread that 914Rubber and PMB shops were disparaged... / or was that a joke?/..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:14 AM