Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introduction of guy and car...., first 914 on its way....
Dion
post Jul 23 2020, 06:56 AM
Post #81

RN

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking great there Frank. Enjoy seeing your posts. I don’t know if there’s a wrong way
with regards to the jack. Mines been apart so long I don’t remember. Have a look at the manual or originality forum. I guess as long as it’s secured and tidy your good to go.
Keep at it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jul 29 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #82

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Ok, time for the next thing on the list. Removal/disassembly of the front brakes.
Something I kept on moving forward on the list, but since the list is getting shorter, I can almost not do any cherrypicking anymore.
So.....frontbrakes.

I have to say up front that disassembly of the frontcalipers was by far one the most challenging things I have done sofar. I rather do the flexible hoses in the rear again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

These sucker-pistons were stuck. And that after sitting for 2,5 year or so ? wow, that went fast. I first removed the caliper and watching it sitting on the bench I thought : how can I ever get them out ?
I remounted them on the car and 'kicked' them loose using the brakepedal with a pad in between. then took them off the car again, removed the pad, and with a lot of swearing and blocking and holding and pushing with the airmethod....they came out.

Speed of sound.
I read online they could come flying out using the airmethod and that you have to watch your fingers. Well...all I can say is that I was happy I did not put my finger in between the pistons when one side came out.
Wow. We are talking E=MC2 force kind of thing with the speed of sound. You cannot see it come out, a loud bang is all that tells you it came out, which is of course the breaking of the soundbarrier, that is obvious.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 12 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #83

Ok, time for the front brakes. In my last post I already took off the calipers and took the pistons out. My ears are still recovering from the loud bang they came out with.....

So....All sorted, cleaned, new parts and seals. ATE brakepiston grease for internals is used. Caliper could not be 'zinced' this time, because of corona they do not accept 'walk-ins' at the moment. But for the rest all redone.

As a quick reminder : This is what it looked like before the start:
Attached Image
Wheel could not be turned at this point. Calipers stuck. This car drove and braked when I bought it, standstill did not do it good...that goes very fast I have to say.

Then after the cleaning and repacking and turning etc:
Attached Image
Spins already much better. Clean look without the caliper. Shaved look. But we need a caliper.

The new parts for the caliper, pads, hardware and flexline:
Attached Image
And I dealt with the 20degree myth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I had the positioners, so that helped me already 50%

And then all together. You see the new flexline as well in the picture.
Attached Image
A very rewarding job. I still have to bleed the brakes, but first the other side must undergo the same procedure, all stuff is prepared, so the other side will be next soon.
It feels really good that after this the wheel spins so freely by hand....yeah baby !
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 12 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #84

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 12 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #85

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 12 2020, 01:38 PM) *

As a quick reminder : This is what it looked like before the start:
Attached Image
Wheel could not be turned at this point. Calipers stuck. This car drove and braked when I bought it, standstill did not do it good...that goes very fast I have to say.

You need to move to a place with less humidity!
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 23 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #86

talking about humidity:

BEFORE
Attached Image

and AFTER
Attached Image

super difference !
Attached Image

another rewarding job and another tick on the to-do list !
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Aug 23 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #87

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

Looks great!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 23 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #88

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Lookin great, keep it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 2 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #89

Ok, time for something else !
The Curse Of The Rattling Rear Window

Rattling rear window, so interior is out, and rear window is out.
Old seal between window and car came out hard, in 1 piece. I did not have the 2 small pieces that are below the window on the lower sill, so I guess it was out before at some point in time.
Attached Image
Backpad needs some love and care, I will see how to repair it a bit, lower part backside is a bit crusty at some parts.

The old rubber bewteen window and engine lid was not re-usable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

So, enter the dragon, a new one !
Attached Image

to be continued !
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Sep 2 2020, 02:14 PM
Post #90

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Good luck with your purchase
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
I also did what you're doing about fixing many little things when you buy the car. So far I have fixed 25 tiny to small things, mechanic one too to try to get it as perfect as I can. Not perfect but I have a good survivor.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 5 2020, 04:38 AM
Post #91

While the interior was out for the re-sticking of the rear window, I noticed that behind the backpad I had some hungry rodents in the past over there.
They were not there for long, no droppings or smell but I guess they were a bit hungry. Porsche wires are a delicacy !
Attached Image
Interesting they even chewed total through one wire, they are not thick, but still a challenge for a small rodent you would think. I guess if you are really hungry you also eat copper !

But a new piece is already created, a great little job for a rainy day.
I ordered 'color-correct' wires to work with, at least the colors match up with the original situation.
I did not remember which terminal was 12V so I did use isolated endclamps on all to be sure.
Attached Image

So, this was a job NOT on the list. Always a surprise where one job leads to !
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 6 2020, 12:26 AM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Wow great progress,I stopped making lists of jobs I just forge on as s#it happens and I'am slowly getting ahead and so happy doing it that way,works for me.
One of my fav colours you have,keep up the good work.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 17 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #93

so, rear window is in again, tape across the lower horizontal glass (forgot that first) and the surrounding parts are back in, new seatbelts and also the new wiring for the backpad/interior light (see earlier post where the mice ate it) ....backpad back in....and the test to see if the light did work now....

Funny fact : @DRPHIL914 did his interior light work on the same day as me.
So....same(*) picture as @DRPHIL914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
(*) not really the same, his came from sierraMadre and my interiorlight was what came with the car and clearly states 'made in mexico' and that is what is really noticable.
No idea what person designed this part, but what was he thinking ?? just put 'made in mexico'it all across the front lense ?? (I guess it is a beetle part)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 17 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #94

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 17 2020, 09:36 AM) *

so, rear window is in again, tape across the lower horizontal glass (forgot that first) and the surrounding parts are back in, new seatbelts and also the new wiring for the backpad/interior light (see earlier post where the mice ate it) ....backpad back in....and the test to see if the light did work now....

Funny fact : @DRPHIL914 did his interior light work on the same day as me.
So....same(*) picture as @DRPHIL914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
(*) not really the same, his came from sierraMadre and my interiorlight was what came with the car and clearly states 'made in mexico' and that is what is really noticable.
No idea what person designed this part, but what was he thinking ?? just put 'made in mexico'it all across the front lense ?? (I guess it is a beetle part)

looks good Frank! i left mine undone for a year, the upholstery guy didn’t cut the hole in the back pad material so i had to get brave enough to cut the hole in vinyl.
fun to complete small projects like that!

+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 22 2020, 05:38 AM
Post #95

@DRPHIL914 (and others) so, the 'made in Mexico' did bother me the whole week. And I sorted it out and bought a used original 914 Hella one. Way better for the ease of mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Made in Germany.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 22 2020, 06:35 AM
Post #96

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 22 2020, 07:38 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 (and others) so, the 'made in Mexico' did bother me the whole week. And I sorted it out and bought a used original 914 Hella one. Way better for the ease of mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Made in Germany.
Attached Image

well done! it would not matter to most, but what matters to you is what matters....

now for the trivia of the day, name that tune....
"the lights are one, but no one's home" - name that tune! oh what year, dont google it,
first hint- i am a child of the 80's, and it shows when songs like this pop into my head...

@Frankvw , my car went in yesterday and is getting Xpel treatment to front of car today!
btw the Sierra Madre light i got is a perfect fit, i had 2 other lights that were VW ones that didnt and my original one cracked so wiould not hold the one clip, i could try and JB weld it , but wanted a light in place for the OkteenerPalooza that i am now not going to,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
#kidneystonesuck
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 22 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #97

Another job from the list: Operation H4 (or maybe call it Operation Agent Orange, see below)

Operation H4:
I still had the USA sealed beams in the headlights, and they are not allowed in the Netherlands and since I have to go for the government official testing to get a Dutch registration on the car, I had to change it to H4 units.

It was actually a straight forward job to swap them over, but the small screws that hold the Hella chrome ring were rusted stuck (1 one 1 side, 2 on other side) so I had to drill them out.
Nevertheless....all done and result is there !
Attached Image
Small tip for the person who is going to work on his/her headlights: place a small rag on the bottom of the headlight bucket before you take out the small screws. They can disappear in the draintube......

As you can see I have black plastic headlight surroundings, not painted and with 914 nrs in it. I followed the post about the white ones, but these are black and look original.

Oh yeah....Why Operation Agent Orange ?
Because I had to de-leave the headlight buckets, a lot more sand, dirt and leaves than expected in there.... since units, holder and ring were out, easy access to do some vacuumcleaning in there ! Now a clean space again.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Slam254
post Sep 22 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 24,647

Love the color and love the wheels ! Great score !

and welcome to 914 World

+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Sep 22 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #99

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

Did the originals say Made in WEST Germany?
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Oct 2 2020, 03:05 AM
Post #100

many small to-do's are done, worth a lot to me but not really worth a lot of pictures to you.
Interior work.....I already did some work on the backpad and interiorlight, plus I added new securitybelts (the original ones did not retract in a good way anymore and that is a major thingie on the test that is coming)
plus:
- handbrakelever re-painted
- seat handles re-painted
- placed back carpets, seats and mats
- refitted the gearshiftknob and speakerholders
- new pedal rubber
- new driverdoor rubber
- plastic sills back in place
(it looks like a car again instead of a project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) which motivated a lot)

I also bought a Momo 8002 adapter I came across online, the solid version, to be used later....

After the Dutch inspection/Test end this month I first focus on the issues found (they always find something on an old car of course)
But before I am done to the point to be ready for the test, I still have some work to do........but the to-do list is getting smaller !

@Slam254 Thanks. Wheels are Pacific Italia's, with the 82mm PI caps (I put the caps on my search/wanted-list for some nicer ones)
@7TPorsh I will check the headlightsurrounds for the markings later, they will come off again at some point.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 PM