Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So, now I understand the cost of Porsche ownership :-O
green914
post Jun 23 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Always get a written estimate - be very specific about the work you want done.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 23 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Sticker shock! A few months ago I too experience a similar situation.
I dropped my Avant S4 at my local Audi dealer.
For what I thought was going to be a pleasant experience...really never used the dealer that much.
Talked to my friend the service mgr to just fix a few items.
I wanted a new thermostat, water pump replace ..due to age and miles. They came back and mentioned that the coolent tank was leaking and the serpentine belt needed changing...funny as I had that replaced two years ago..oh then they mentioned that the oil pan was leaking...I used to do all the oil changes and never experienced any oil in the driveway....
Never again! I this little experience cost me $4200
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 23 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #23

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 23 2016, 12:37 PM) *

Btw....a four wheel alignment goes for around $450 to $500.

I did mine in my garage. Learned how to do it here.

That sounds more like a corner balance which would include the 4 wheel alignment. I used to pay $100 using Slits guy but he went to work for Ford and I'm pretty sure they don't want my 914 in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Next thing on my list is to learn how to DIY. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 23 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 23 2016, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 23 2016, 12:37 PM) *

Btw....a four wheel alignment goes for around $450 to $500.

I did mine in my garage. Learned how to do it here.

That sounds more like a corner balance which would include the 4 wheel alignment. I used to pay $100 using Slits guy but he went to work for Ford and I'm pretty sure they don't want my 914 in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Next thing on my list is to learn how to DIY. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You are correcto mundo....that included a full corner balance as well.

That be a reputable shop here im SoCal. No one reputable should touch a teener front end that had my crummie decrepid tie rods.

Eric S convinced me iit was easy. It was. I can be hired for some ice cold Peroni's
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 23 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Like I said, I will reserve judgement until I see the list. A few things I know they did beyond the alignment and timing.

I did speak to them a few times. It was almost a week before it got into the shop at all. A second delay came as they were backed up with other work and I gather had a resto project tied up in the alignment lift getting belly pans or something.

Installed new turbo tie rod kit that I provided.

Indicated that the level of front and rear were not right and had to adjust torsion bars to bring back to spec (something like that anyhow).

Found exhaust leak(s) so removed those tins and installed new exhaust nuts.

I apparently did not properly tighten my new Tangerine Shift Adjuster tight enough on the shift rod so the rod popped out and they had to reinstall and adjust. Probably had to remove the console for that.

Had them check and correct as needed adjustment for things like thermostat, clutch cable, brake adjustment , etc.

Tightened up a bunch if loose "stuff".

They did call and let me know that the aftermarket rear sway bar ends were hitting the shocks. That also explained the mystery clunk that I never figured out. A bit of work there as he was going to remount it further back which I suspect involves dropping the muffler as well.

He also did indicate that after doing alignment they drove it but after everything like the new trailing arms settled they had to redo it. Did I get charged x2 for the alignment, don't know yet. Hope not as you would think they would have made sure everything was tight and settled prior to the alignment. If so, I guess that is a few hundred right there.

On a plus side, I am confident that they really do know the 914 and have a lot of experience with them. Don't know the labor rate but it does "feel" like a lot of hours. I'll share the details tomorrow when I know more. My 911 colleague joked that that is about the price of an oil change and air filter at Manhattan Motors.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jun 23 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,073

Sounds like they caught some things that should make you feel confident using the car. Yeah.. likely all labor rates.. $100-200/hr? If you like the work and feel good about the car, just pick it up and go enjoy it! Summer will be gone soon...
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 23 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(Racer @ Jun 23 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Sounds like they caught some things that should make you feel confident using the car. Yeah.. likely all labor rates.. $100-200/hr? If you like the work and feel good about the car, just pick it up and go enjoy it! Summer will be gone soon...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Why post about something negative you paid somebody else to do?

Drive the car and enjoy life!
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 23 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Racer @ Jun 23 2016, 10:26 PM) *

Yup, that's why I am keeping an open mind until I see the bill and get the car. Like I said earlier, could be a great deal, a fair deal, etc. certainly more than I expected but hopefully it seems like money well spent after a good drive. Stay tuned!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 23 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #29

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(396 @ Jun 23 2016, 04:51 PM) *

Sticker shock! A few months ago I too experience a similar situation.
I dropped my Avant S4 at my local Audi dealer.
For what I thought was going to be a pleasant experience...really never used the dealer that much.
Talked to my friend the service mgr to just fix a few items.
I wanted a new thermostat, water pump replace ..due to age and miles. They came back and mentioned that the coolent tank was leaking and the serpentine belt needed changing...funny as I had that replaced two years ago..oh then they mentioned that the oil pan was leaking...I used to do all the oil changes and never experienced any oil in the driveway....
Never again! I this little experience cost me $4200

There is 2 types of work at the dealer. The warranty stuff that pays crap that goes to the newbies, and the paying customers that the seniors keep and know how to get themselves paid. NEVER approve additional work unless you see it in person, but it is 90% of the time a stretch of the truth to fatten up the paycheck.

Our "best" tech would straight up lie. An old leaking radiator cap would be a cracked radiator. An oil drip from spillage would be some seal, and we had extra seals to show the damage and "replacement". The Service Writer would profile the customer and tell us to fatten or blow off the 40 point inspection.

An independent specialty shop is the way to go. A good mechanic will stick to one make because it's easier to fix things you've seen before. The generic shops usually hire the ones not qualified for better places.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 24 2016, 12:32 AM
Post #30

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Write the check and drive the car.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jun 24 2016, 03:50 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 12,741

Not the cost of Porsche ownership, just the cost of any car ownership when you give a shop a blank check.

Have you had personal experience with this shop? I've seen many reputable shops take advantage of customers, do poor work, or throw their apprentice techs on the "low end" 914s. Check it all out, drive it, then write the check based on your evaluation. Hopefully you will be happy on the drive home.

+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jun 24 2016, 05:36 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 19,140
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 23 2016, 03:00 PM) *

No to the dealer unless you're flush. Ask the local members. There's usually a good 914 shop around that will treat you fair and do good work.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Thank God for Chris at Tangerine Racing!!
+Quote Post
rmital
post Jun 24 2016, 06:21 AM
Post #33

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2016, 02:32 AM) *

Write the check and drive the car.

dam good advice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 24 2016, 09:09 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorting out issues can be a large project. I'm hoping the net result will be a nice driving car. That may be worth the $$
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 24 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #35

OK, so I picked up the car and paid the bill.

First off, between the work I did when I dropped the engine, and the work they did afterward, a 40 minute drive made it all seem worthwhile. It is running / driving better than it ever has and is probably as close to a new 914 experience as one can get 40 years later. The clunks, fuel smells, stumbles, missed shifts from before all this work have all vanished.

In looking at the bill, they did do a lot of work and the individual items add up fast. The last item, which I did authorize, was adjusting the rear sway bar. I gather they heated it it with torch and bent the ends so that it is more like factory bar. That bit alone was $500. Alignment was $400 of it. Of course the state of PA also feels entitled to skim 6% off the total bill in return for, um, taxes.

A few items seemed a bit high such as resetting the master cylinder safety switch given that the front tins were already off for wheel alignment. Still, it seems that all the work done was top notch, they addressed a lot of things, and it now runs great. I can now focus on driving rather than repairs or related bills!

My other build thread outlines all of the work I did before bringing it to the shop. Here is the breakdown of the work they performed. Back to my original question of great deal, fair deal, etc. I am honestly still not sure but it is what it is and for now I am going to simply enjoy the ride.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 24 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #36

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Labor on many items looks high to me.
Over 45 minutes to adjust the thermostat cable?
2 hours to tighten the exhaust? Really? The only way exhaust fitment work should take that long is if there were stud issues.
I can't imagine needing 5 hours to correct the anti-sway bar. 3 hours would be a lot, and I sure hope no one used a torch on the heat treated bar.
I hope there were lots of little things done which never got onto the invoice.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 24 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #37

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

they definitely rounded up on a lot of those things. They also charged you $50 to fill up your gas tank? gas must be really expensive in your area...

and add to that, after that bill you are having that other issue you just posted about. Id be pissed
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 24 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 24 2016, 01:35 PM) *

they definitely rounded up on a lot of those things. They also charged you $50 to fill up your gas tank? gas must be really expensive in your area...

and add to that, after that bill you are having that other issue you just posted about. Id be pissed

Got to thinking about it now that Foley posted....

Next time take it to him....you arebin PA.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 24 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #39

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

One hour to set timing? Takes under 5 minutes. Half hour to adjust clutch? 3 minutes. 55 minutes to center steering wheel? Takes five minutes on a road test after alignment and it's always included in an alignment. Two hours to replace 8 exhaust nuts? That's nuts! All of these items should be done in under 3 hours with 3 beer breaks. You got screwed. I'd be pissed.

Btw, I pay$80.00 for a 4 wheel alignment.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jun 24 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #40

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Glad they got your car running well...but wow. A bunch of those charges are egregious! 80 bucks for a 5 minute thermo cable adjustment?? Looks like they charged for every fix a la carte, rather than just billing for the total of hours. Not illegal, but certainly not as fair as they could or should be. I'd call them and ask why they didn't just charge for time spent. Maybe they'll cut you a break and do the right thing.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:21 AM