Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - My son needs a reliable car <$5k, UPDATE: buying a 2010 Mazda3 S Gran Touring Hatch 2.5 6-speed
scott_in_nh
post Jun 28 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

Well, some P content - after the semi-fiasco of his 944 experience, he has been carless, but could walk to work and pay his roommate to use his car as needed.

But now he has taken a sales job with a micro-brewery and while it is local and he won't be a road warrior, he really needs something bulletproof, but hopefully still offers some fun.

He will only drive a stick (taught him well), hates FWD (me too, but he may have to suck it up).

We started looking at E46 BMW's but the more I read, the more I think it will be another mistake like his 944 (maintenance and reliability wise).

So what is out there that is cheap, reliable and fun? What do you or your poor car enthusiast 20 something kids drive daily?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 28 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

They are big, not anywhere near as balanced as a 914 or 944, and clunky, but late-90s Mustangs are cheap and reliable, given proper upkeep. I had one all through college and loved that car. Never left me stranded and it was fun "enough" to drive. Worst comes to worst, slapping another engine and/or transmission in it is fairly straightforward, can be accomplished in a weekend and parts are CHEAP.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 28 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Miata
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 28 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The only thing reliable with a BMW is that at least 1 part will fail every year.

Go Japanese, and to a lesser extent newer Korean. Some Fords and GM are ok.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 28 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 28 2016, 03:38 PM) *

They are big, not anywhere near as balanced as a 914 or 944, and clunky, but late-90s Mustangs are cheap and reliable, given proper upkeep. I had one all through college and loved that car. Never left me stranded and it was fun "enough" to drive. Worst comes to worst, slapping another engine and/or transmission in it is fairly straightforward, can be accomplished in a weekend and parts are CHEAP.

Gotta agree here, but I would press him toward FWD.
A mustang in the winter is just a sucky car, so is a BMW...

Yes, I grew up with both of them....they suck in the snow.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 28 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

This, 3300 and it's yours

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 28 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Second the Miata, for less than 5k I don't think you can find a better Fun/Reliability/sport combo.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 28 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #8

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 28 2016, 01:01 PM) *

The only thing reliable with a BMW is that at least 1 part will fail every year.

I disagree, my E30 has been rock solid reliable. I put 36k miles on it in ~18 months of daily driving duties and weekend shenanigans with no major issues for a 32 year old car. Motor was rebuilt with a E36/7 aluminum block M52 so its fast, reliable, fun, analog and still gets 25-28mpg with a lot of smiles in between. Its out of his budget, but there are E30s out there and they are reliable. The M20 motor needs a timing belt job every 40k, but otherwise a well maintained version will fit the ticket for him. They are getting more expensive though...

Help him buy mine so I can finally get my 914

ps WTF is a E49? do you mean E46?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 28 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

5k reliable car non FWD?

Top of my head.

Mr2 spyder
Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L (Buy the absolute best you can afford, the 2.8L engine is bulletproof your money will be spent on regular maintenance)
Subaru Impreza
Infinity G35/Nissan 350Z (Assuming it hasnt been beat up) will be over the mark, but maybe worth splurging. An automatic 4 door would be dirt cheap.
Lexus IS300
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
MK3 Supra

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 28 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #10

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I already gave the most on target answer. All those other cars listed can be money pits.

Once you get over the "chick car" bullcrap, the Miata is the only logical choice for:
1. Fun
2. Reliability
3. Easy to work on
4. Parts availability
5. Strong forum support
6. Good fuel economy
7. Fun
8. Good looks
9. Chick magnet
10. Lots of performance mods available
11. Fun
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jun 28 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,140
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 28 2016, 12:12 PM) *

This, 3300 and it's yours

I agree, the mini cooper is fun to drive and great on gas. nice looking mini by the way and cheap!
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Jun 28 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

4 years ago I needed a decent reliable car for not much money. I personally wanted to get a Protege5 wagon (to haul my music gear), but couldn't find one and got a one owner '02 Protege sedan. While not exciting (look for a Mazdaspeed) it's turned out to be a great car. I've done the timing belt, shocks, and brakes; all which were not too difficult. 104k miles when I got it for $4000
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 28 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 28 2016, 04:14 PM) *

ps WTF is a E49? do you mean E46?

typo fixed it.

Miata is a possibility and he likes them, but he may need more room to carry samples.

RWD in winter, he had zero problems getting around in the 944 with winter tires - I assumed any reasonably balanced RWD car with winter tires would be similar (that may still rule out the Mustang lol)

Mini - he like them at one time, but his sister just bought a late model S - may rule it out (I wanted a Ducati until my brother bought one first.... so I get it)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 28 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #14

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

E30s are fine in the snow. most have LSD and with a set of snow tires they cant be stopped.

Im a fan of the Miata but not in that climate
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 28 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #15

Heading out to meet him for dinner and look at some cars on the interweb, thanks and keep them coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 28 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #16

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Scott,

For $5K -

1. How about an 80's BMW E30 325e/es/i/is with their very reliable I-6, sway bars F&R, great handling & very reliable - I've got almost 200k on mine & it's still the original engine, tranny was rebuilt around 150K=ish .... & still one of our DDs!

The 84-86 325e/es in 3dr Coupe has that great old-school lotsa glass greenhouse cockpit for great visibility, & will get better 17-35 mpg on Regular (I can get 42 on the flat in mine) with 121 HP +/- & about the same HP-to-Wt ratio as our 914s (one of my requirements when I got it new after my 914 got whacked & the wife said we needed a back seat) - vs. the 87-92 325i/is coupes at 161 HP at 15-22 mpg (IIRC they may take the more expensive Mid-grade or Premium due to higher compression ratio, so check that out too).

Forget the M3's of that era, due to their much higher price in his case. The 325s will give him plenty of pep for far less money - even in the 4 dr version, but the 2 Dr Coupes generally have the Recaro Sport Seats & 3 spoke leather steering wheel, etc. in them. The 318's are also out there with less HP, but the mpg isn't that much better than on the 325 6's.

They should eventually appreciate in value now, as the E30's are now gaining popularity. Plus the big BMW parts house Bav Auto is near you guys too!

Mine....
Attached Image Attached Image
... not sure why the site's upload isn't keeping these rotated to horizontal that I did with the jpg files on my laptop, so I give up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

2. Although FWD - the 1980's to `91/92-ish Honda Civic Hatchback or fastback Coupe are also an amazingly spritely & good handling car with it's 1.5-1.8L I-4, all with the Honda reliability. There are several run by PCA members in our SoCal AXs, & our son has an `88 Civic HB DX that has been in the family since new with 2 of his uncles, & is now near 200K miles & still a reliable DD for him - he just drove to/from Ft. Carson/Colorado Springs CO to OC/SoCal for leave a couple of weeks ago!

They look really nice & sporty - especially in certain colors & when properly cleaned up & waxed up!

Son's, after we finished the 2008-09 Refurb/Resto....
Attached Image

3. Early Miata's may also be around at $5K, as are some early Boxsters with hi miles (but with IMS bearing concerns).

Happy Hunting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jun 28 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Miata - both my sons bought NA Miata's ('94 and '95), set them up for street and track, DD's year round with winter tires (sometimes), 30 MPG driving hard, reliable, and if they do break, generally cheap and easy to repair. My wife also has also owned two Miatas. Can't say enough good about them. But spend the grand and find a hardtop to go on it for the winter.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 28 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Depends upon if a 2 seater, like the Miata will be enough room for him. They are small. I would say a Honda Civic coupe. No issues with these cars they just keep on running with minor maintenance. You can buy therm for under $5K all day long. Reliable, bullet proof and good mileage. Cheap insurance too.
+Quote Post
jor
post Jun 28 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #19

Just happy to be here.

Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 28 2016, 01:20 PM) *

I already gave the most on target answer. All those other cars listed can be money pits.

Once you get over the "chick car" bullcrap, the Miata is the only logical choice for:
1. Fun
2. Reliability
3. Easy to work on
4. Parts availability
5. Strong forum support
6. Good fuel economy
7. Fun
8. Good looks
9. Chick magnet
10. Lots of performance mods available
11. Fun

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) But don't forget that early '90s, second generation Honda CRX. It's a FWD Miata with hatchback interior room.

It wasn't so long ago I'd be suggesting a 914 in this situation ....
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 28 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #20

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 28 2016, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 28 2016, 01:01 PM) *

I disagree, my E30 has been rock solid reliable.

You missed the part about him being in the North East... snow... salt... rust.... sleet... rain. I can't recommend a car from the 80s when you can get ABS and other pluses.

FYI- 08 335i E90 at only 90k miles has had replaced just this year.
1. 3 injectors
2. both oil cooler gaskets
3. Fuel filter/level/regulator because the plastic housing cracked
4. both HID ballasts
5. driver door latch/remote control box
6. leaking p/s hose
and a special spark plug socket.

Luckily most of the parts can be had aftermarket or online for less crazy money. The E46 isn't any better from what I've seen on BMW forums.

The 98 325i E36 jut needed minor things. Both front window motors because the plastic gear stripped. The climate control because of the bad cap. The blower resistor pack. The drivers door handle that's a bitch on the coupe. And the A/C comp. Though the interior has fallen apart so it looks and feels ghetto.

A clutch gets old fast in rush hour traffic. Maybe not today but definitely at 30 when your left knee hurts. Plus with the 944 does he really need a sports car for commuting? There are cheaper cars to insure, like Subarus, just saying.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:23 PM