Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC - My son needs a reliable car <$5k, UPDATE: buying a 2010 Mazda3 S Gran Touring Hatch 2.5 6-speed
billh1963
post Jun 29 2016, 05:46 AM
Post #41

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 29 2016, 07:15 AM) *

You live in NH... your son needs to get to work etc.... why would you consider anything other than a Subie?

Because the heart wants what the heart wants! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 29 2016, 06:05 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 29 2016, 05:46 AM) *

You live in NH... your son needs to get to work etc.... why would you consider anything other than a Subie?

Because the heart wants what the heart wants! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Most of our P cars seem to be toys- have your toy when you can afford it but meanwhiles ya gotta get around in the NE winters!
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 29 2016, 06:28 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 6,103

Before I get pounced on, this is my personal opinion and what I've done up until now.
I NEVER mixed business with pleasure. That is, I started my driving career with a reliable, cheap daily driver (used VW air cooled of that era) and concentrated on my professional career to save up enough money to buy my "pleasure" car. It took me almost 2 years of savings, plus a small loan to by my first sports car. From that point on I always had 2 (or more) cars. The result is you never have to stress out about someone dinging your sports car since it will only used on weekends, nice days or car events. It gives you something to look forward to in your spare time. Trust me, this is the way to go. Mixing business with pleasure will result in stress and aggravation.

My current daily driver is an '06 Jetta, 5 speed, with Sirius Satellite. Fast, handles great, 4 doors and a gigantic trunk. I've got 110,000 miles on it and it still runs great. You can't get much more practical than that. I'm a front wheel drive proponent in the northeast due to snow conditions in the winter. As long as it's not scraping on the bottom of the car, you will never get stuck.

Dave
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 29 2016, 06:34 AM
Post #44

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Before you pick. Don't forget the airbag recalls that can't be fixed (due to parts shortages). Check the recall list for safety.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 29 2016, 06:45 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 29 2016, 04:34 AM) *

Before you pick. Don't forget the airbag recalls that can't be fixed (due to parts shortages). Check the recall list for safety.

Very good point.
Dave
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 06:48 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 28 2016, 11:06 PM) *

Scott,
Have you considered being the coolest dad ever and selling him the 914?

Haha, I have proven that it has a lot of room for beer - lol! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 29 2016, 08:28 AM) *

Before I get pounced on, this is my personal opinion and what I've done up until now.
I NEVER mixed business with pleasure. That is, I started my driving career with a reliable, cheap daily driver (used VW air cooled of that era) and concentrated on my professional career to save up enough money to buy my "pleasure" car. It took me almost 2 years of savings, plus a small loan to by my first sports car. From that point on I always had 2 (or more) cars. The result is you never have to stress out about someone dinging your sports car since it will only used on weekends, nice days or car events. It gives you something to look forward to in your spare time. Trust me, this is the way to go. Mixing business with pleasure will result in stress and aggravation.

My current daily driver is an '06 Jetta, 5 speed, with Sirius Satellite. Fast, handles great, 4 doors and a gigantic trunk. I've got 110,000 miles on it and it still runs great. You can't get much more practical than that. I'm a front wheel drive proponent in the northeast due to snow conditions in the winter. As long as it's not scraping on the bottom of the car, you will never get stuck.

Dave

Good points Dave that I have tried to convince him of - but then he brings up the list of sporty or interesting cars I used as daily drivers over the years.

Telling him he isn't me doesn't get much traction lol....
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 06:52 AM
Post #48

You live in NH... your son needs to get to work etc.... why would you consider anything other than a Subie? The other AWD cars are spendy to fix and cost more to begin with while the Subaru is all around less expensive. Parts are everywhere - they seem to be the SBC of the Japanese car market too. Even if you get an underpowered one, you can swap suspension pieces with the more robust ones and have a lot of fun tossing it around while still dashing through the snow..
Just speaking from experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Tuner boys have ruined these too and his mother had one that was nothing but trouble....
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 07:01 AM
Post #49

Someone mentioned a Jeep, he'd do a boxy Cherokee with a stick (I had one back when, the kids loved it), but they are getting long in tooth due to age and abuse.

I'm not giving up on finding other choices, but as I mentioned he is going to look at a couple of Miatas today.

One is a 2000 with about 70k, the other is a 2007 with about 140K and the asking price is the same.

We both like the newer body style better and I tend to believe (everything else being equal) that age deteriorates a car more than miles - plastic hardens, hoses get brittle, gaskets leak, bushings crack, etc. due to age not miles.

Thoughts?

The 2007 looks so good in the pictures that I'd consider buying it from him if it didn't work out (and he didn't Fuch it up).

PS that white E30 in NH Craigslist is gorgeous (I had already seen it, I'm sure he has too), but is a really nice 30 yo car really a good choice for a year round DD?

PPS Good point qabout checking for air bag issues and other recalls.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jun 29 2016, 07:04 AM
Post #50

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I'm in the Subaru camp. Inexpensive, great in snow, easy to maintain and fix. Also agree that mixing business and pleasure is difficult. At that budget, both sides will be compromised. There's one other factor to prioritize here...and forgive me if I sound like a guy in his 50s with kids of driving age....safety. With a DD, I'd encourage him to get the safest car possible. A tank, preferably. He can always borrow your teener to get his fun fix on weekends...in good weather when at least that variable is removed from the safety equation.

And remember...the hunt is half the fun:)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #51

Just sent him some links to some Legacy(s) like this one:

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5611714589.html

I know he wouldn't even look at a WRX or Impreza.

They all do seem to need head gaskets by ~100k, I know his mom's also suffered from CEL for O2/converter issues that seemed hard/impossible to resolve (BMW's seem to suffer this fate too)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 29 2016, 07:43 AM
Post #52

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jun 29 2016, 09:33 AM) *

They all do seem to need head gaskets by ~100k, I know his mom's also suffered from CEL for O2/converter issues that seemed hard/impossible to resolve (BMW's seem to suffer this fate too)

Salvage title on the one you listed
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 07:59 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 29 2016, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jun 29 2016, 09:33 AM) *

Salvage title on the one you listed

Was looking fast and didn't see that - good catch - thanks

how about this one:

https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/5637749716.html
+Quote Post
preach
post Jun 29 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #54

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

never saw the price range, but a boxter IMO is th bang for the buck now, Miata sure, if you are in snow country get a TT,
+Quote Post
preach
post Jun 29 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #55

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

Ha, you are 20 miles from me, I am happy to help. In NH a subaru drives you. They are exceptional in the snow and cheap.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 29 2016, 08:23 AM
Post #56

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Who is laying out the cash for this purchase? In my experience, what's acceptable can vary dependent on who's paying. IMHO, let HIM do all of the leg work and buy his own vehicle. If there's a oops due a high risk car (repair or insurance wise) when he buys an expensive turd? it's on him. One of those lessons learned the hard way.

I missed the 944 story. What went wrong?
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 29 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 29 2016, 10:23 AM) *

Who is laying out the cash for this purchase? In my experience, what's acceptable can vary dependent on who's paying. IMHO, let HIM do all of the leg work and buy his own vehicle. If there's a oops due a high risk car (repair or insurance wise) when he buys an expensive turd? it's on him. One of those lessons learned the hard way.

I missed the 944 story. What went wrong?

If it is a car I approve of, I will assist with about $1200 cash as I did for his sister.

He will either get a car loan or make $100/month payments to me if that is a better or only option. Payments to me would increase if he is succeeding at his new job.

The 944 saga:

He did not get the $1200 for the 944 as I did not approve.

It was a reasonable car for awhile and he had a short commute.

Short version - cam box oil leak, I helped him fix it.

Head gasket blew - he fixed it, but dropped something in the cam box that damaged it.

Replaced cam box, but he likely misadjusted the timing belt and it broke going through the Hampton tolls last New Years Eve.

Bought the car for $3k drove for about 1.5 years, sold it for $1k.

+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jun 29 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #58

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 29 2016, 12:20 AM) *

For Bill & Shadowfax - my `85 325e is not a problem to keep up - usually <$1000/yr & probably $2,000 a year at most when something needs replacement after 30 years & 200K miles.

In fact, it has been 1/4 the costs over the past 28 years as our `88 VW Westy, & far less high-tech shennighans than any of the late-90's - 2000's BMWs, where you can't change a battery without a dealer to reset the OBCs! My neighbor across the street had a 2006 323 wagon, which he traded for a Kia, after it ate him up on the BS maintenance items.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Was referring more to my E39 because of all the plastic bits. I'm at 90K and have already done the preventative cooling maintenance, among other things (belt tensioners, suspension, etc etc). Still one of the best cars I've ever owned.
The E30 is easy to maintain - valve adjustments every 10K, timing belt every 5 years or 50k, in addition to fluid changes etc. I use Mike Miller's "old-school maintenance" guidelines for it and my E39 (imho BMW's last great sedan).
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jun 29 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

It's hard for the old and wise to give proper advice to the young; priorities definitely change. But to me there are 3 types of cars unless you are wealthy (that's another matter): 1. A truck/SUV that can tow (do you need to tow often enough for this?) 2. A fun car (can be anything from a classic to something new that is impractical). 3. A practical and affordable DD (In my world there is only Honda and Toyota). As money and circumstances permit, you have any combination of the 3. That's just my $.02.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jun 29 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #60

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....Did anyone say Volvo...very reasonable for the ducat? also Ghia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (whatever you purchase be safe!)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:15 PM