Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Terrible Scraping Noise
TX914
post Jul 1 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Alan-B

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,689
Region Association: None

Went for a short run around the neighborhood and stopped for gas. When I restarted there was a terrible scraping noise so I shut it off immediately. Sounded to me like a piece of engine tin or casing scraping on the impeller…
Tried restarting a couple of times with same result. Clutch in/out made no difference, and I was afraid to rev it. Oil level okay, and nothing loose in/around the impeller. I decided to drive it gently away to the side so I could tow it home for closer inspection. Restarted and drove in reverse for a few feet which made no difference, but then pulling forward for a few feet the scraping suddenly stopped. All seemed normal again so I drove it home – it idled fine, had good power and haven’t heard the noise since. I’m looking for ideas as to what the scraping sound might have been. Anyone experienced that before? It’s a ’76 with stock FI 2.0. It does have a relatively new starter.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:59 PM