Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running on LPG, Probably done but not finding it.
Mueller
post Jul 4 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Same as any other gas engine. Not sure why you have to see a 914 done before doing it.

If you have to ask if it can be done the answer is yes, but not by you. Same as with turbocharging a 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 4 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,670

Just looking to see if one had been done, if there was a kit that anyone knew of, you know, doing s little research before going any further.

Not sure why you wouldn't want me to do it ...or Turbo for that matter.

Seems like some folks are just angry around here for some reason.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 11:11 AM) *

Just looking to see if one had been done, if there was a kit that anyone knew of, you know, doing s little research before going any further.

I posted a few links, one of them was for a car already converted. So unless the poster was lying about it, it has been done.

A quick search using "VW Bug LPG" showed a bunch of threads, if one can do a VW Bug with a Type I motor one can do a Type IV motor in a 914.

I don't care if you convert it to run on pig #$%, my point was their is enough data out there for you do it to your current vehicle. If you expect a 100% bolt on kit then I'd say you are out of luck. If there was a kit I'd think we'd see more of them running around.

Seeing a picture of one converted isn't going to tell you how to it. My point was that for certain things if you have to ask can you do it, then no you cannot.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 4 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 11:11 AM) *

I posted a few links, one of them was for a car already converted. So unless the poster was lying about it, it has been done.

A quick search using "VW Bug LPG" showed a bunch of threads, if one can do a VW Bug with a Type I motor one can do a Type IV motor in a 914.

I don't care if you convert it to run on pig #$%, my point was their is enough data out there for you do it to your current vehicle. If you expect a 100% bolt on kit then I'd say you are out of luck. If there was a kit I'd think we'd see more of them running around.

Seeing a picture of one converted isn't going to tell you how to it. My point was that for certain things if you have to ask can you do it, then no you cannot.

Thank you for your help
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

I've looked into for another vehicle, couldn't find anymore real info on this liquid injected type, seems great on paper.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/hrdp-1...rolet-chevelle/
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 4 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 01:35 PM) *

I've looked into for another vehicle, couldn't find anymore real info on this liquid injected type, seems great on paper.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/hrdp-1...rolet-chevelle/

Thank you the Hot Rod article was great!

Part of it said;

"To show that an enthusiast could build his own propane-powered muscle car and still be green, Jim and Johnny ditched the high-strung small-block and opted for a Chevrolet Performance LSX 454 topped with a Magnuson 2300 supercharger. They reasoned if their propane-fuel delivery system can feed a blown 7.4L engine, it should be able to handle most resto-mods and performance builds. Starting with a 20-gallon tank marketed by Propane Performance Industries (PPI) that stores propane at about 200 psi, the fuel is moved to the injector as a liquid. This required special, high-impedance Siemens Deka injectors you'd typically find in an industrial refrigeration application. The benefit to liquid injection is that the liquid fuel expands to more than 200 times its volume when injected into the port. Not only is that excellent for atomization, but when a liquid under pressure turns into a gas, it cools--lowering the intake air temperature and preventing pre-ignition. Also, as was discovered in the engine's second version, the rapid expansion can also add a couple of pounds of "free" boost on a naturally aspirated application.

All this talk about the benefits of propane probably has you wondering just what it all means for performance. On an engine dyno, the 454 put down 924 hp and 980 lb-ft. using a 102mm throttle-body. Jim has since moved to a 90mm throttle body that's not so prone to frying the tires, but they're not yet done tuning, either. The mileage is also comparable to gasoline, because while gasoline has a slight edge in energy density (it has more BTUs per gallon), propane runs at much leaner 16:1 air/fuel ratio. "

So basically bears out most of what I have said. Might be concerned about how the cooling property of the fuel would effect overall engine temp though.

Interesting article none the less .

Sort of paints a little brighter picture of the use of LPG as a viable fuel .....
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 4 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #27

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here is your kit Google is good. Right under the images in the link Mueller posted.

Nobody is angry. Everyone likes to spoon feed newbies... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 4 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 4 2016, 03:36 PM) *

Here is your kit Google is good. Right under the images in the link Mueller posted.

Nobody is angry. Everyone likes to spoon feed newbies... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Thank you for the link
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 4 2016, 03:38 PM
Post #29

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Thank you for the link

Lift a finger. You don't need to have other people do google searches for you, do them yourself. Lift your own finger.

+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 4 2016, 05:18 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just curious - Do you believe that petroleum fueled 914 are polluters?
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 4 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 4 2016, 06:18 PM) *

Depends on the condition of the engine.

If it's in good repair and the pollution control equipment is connected and functioning, it probably isn't to bad.

If there is a lot of blow by and the PC equip isn't working, then it is obviously polluting and probably would not pass the inspections for certain emissions.

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 4 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #32

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 4 2016, 06:18 PM) *

Depends on the condition of the engine.

If it's in good repair and the pollution control equipment is connected and functioning, it probably isn't to bad.

If there is a lot of blow by and the PC equip isn't working, then it is obviously polluting and probably would not pass the inspections for certain emissions.

I bet your early 914 (assume totally stock, perfectly operational) sends 40x more NOx and particulate as well as 10x more CO into the air than a modern cars running the same drive cycles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Just a slightly educated WAG though.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 4 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Do you really think you are going to be putting enough miles on your 914 to make even a .0000001% increase in pollution?

The natural resources spent/used to do the conversion will never be recouped.

While a noble idea, I think it's a little silly to think it's going to make any difference at all.
Plan on getting rid of all of your other polluting vehicles?
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Jul 5 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #34

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Attached Image
N Plasma Ignition Circuit.

A high compression,normally or pressurized aircooled engine burning LPG or other,would be good.
A close fitting piston and a static CR of +15:1 and more would result in some interesting performance.
The crankcase oil would no longer be contaminated with blowby and the cylinders would not accumulate carbon buildup.
A high pressure port or better,a chamber injection system makes the typical T4 into a viable modern ICE.
The testing of a built engine to determine the limits of chamber pressure possible is a large task.
The cam timing must be altered to optimize the dry flows of the rev range,some distinct advantages off idle.
Hmmm...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
/
(edit:07/09/16)
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...ant%20reduction

/
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 5 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jul 5 2016, 02:10 AM) *

Attached Image
N Plasma Ignition Circuit.

A high compression,normally or pressurized aircooled engine burning LPG or other,would be good.
A close fitting piston and a static CR of +15:1 and more would result in some interesting performance.
The crankcase oil would no longer be contaminated with blowby and the cylinders would not accumulate carbon buildup.
A high pressure port or better,a chamber injection system makes the typical T4 into a viable modern ICE.
The testing of a built engine to determine the limits of chamber pressure possible is a large task.
The cam timing must be altered to optimize the dry flows of the rev range,some distinct advantages off idle.
Hmmm...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Exactly what I was thinking but not near as eloquent ......who am I kidding not what I was thinking at all, but very intriguing!

Nicely put Veekry9

I have been instructed that ending a response with a Thank you is annoying and makes me a Butt hurt attention whore so I will just reply with a simple

Laters
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Jul 5 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

I don't see how it would be much different than any other car.
really the thing to do would be to convert it using a real ecu, that's the only way i see this working.
Where i would start is look for threads about converting other type of cars and take the information you gained there and apply it to the 914.
Natural gas burns cooler or hotter I seriously don't remember.
outside of that combustion is combustion.
you just need to arrange the way to do it to fit the car.
as far as kit being made to do it, not likely.
I dont see a reason it cant or should not be done if thats what you are into.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 5 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 5 2016, 12:14 PM) *

I don't see how it would be much different than any other car.
really the thing to do would be to convert it using a real ecu, that's the only way i see this working.
Where i would start is look for threads about converting other type of cars and take the information you gained there and apply it to the 914.
Natural gas burns cooler or hotter I seriously don't remember.
outside of that combustion is combustion.
you just need to arrange the way to do it to fit the car.
as far as kit being made to do it, not likely.
I dont see a reason it cant or should not be done if thats what you are into.

I appreciate the response
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 5 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 4 2016, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Thank you for the link

Lift a finger. You don't need to have other people do google searches for you, do them yourself. Lift your own finger.

Here's a lifted finger for ya pal, here's Johnny!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 5 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #39

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

You're what, about fourteen years old? Grow up.

Good news is that you've apparently figured out how to google. Big progress, congrats.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 5 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 5 2016, 06:12 PM) *

You're what, about fourteen years old? Grow up.

Good news is that you've apparently figured out how to google. Big progress, congrats.

And your what 90? time to retire
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:52 AM