Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running on LPG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gunn1
I have found info on the use of LPG in water cooled and stationary air cooled engines , but no instances where a 914 has been adapted to run on it.

While LPG is higher in octane, it has a lower BTU rating so Mpg would suffer. That said trying to determine the other ways a Type 4 would be affected by using LPG.

More longevity, more/less hp, run hotter or cooler......

Besides the conversion from a fuel delivery standpoint, would there be any changes needed from a cam, timing standpoint?

Did do a search and found no info specific to running a 914 on LPG, if you are aware of a link to a build or further info regarding the question I would appreciate if you would post it here.

Thank you
DavidSweden
LPG, Just curious but why? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Why?

The savings will never be greater than the investment if done right.
Tuning issues, can be done but mo'money.
A pressure vessel in a sportscar? ...and where are you going to put it?
Limited range.
Fueling connection issues.
Tax credit is a joke.

Might be OK for fleet, but one off personal car? rolleyes.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 3 2016, 11:02 AM) *

Why?

The savings will never be greater than the investment if done right.
Tuning issues, can be done but mo'money.
A pressure vessel in a sportscar? ...and where are you going to put it?
Limited range.
Fueling connection issues.
Tax credit is a joke.

Might be OK for fleet, but one off personal car? rolleyes.gif

Pollution and possible alternative to Electric

Ive looked at the EMV kits on the web and they are in the 7k range.

Looking into if it is viable alternative.

At this point what I'm hearing is no....
wes
Just the weight and size of the LPG tank, and yes why!
Gunn1
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 3 2016, 11:23 AM) *

Just the weight and size of the LPG tank, and yes why!

The Electric version of the 914 has a heavy Battery in it, so weight of the tank is probably a non factor .

And electric cars have been known to have thermal events (Fires), just like the traditionally fueled 914's, so the fire thing is another non factor. as far as the tank being a bomb, looking at NTSB stats of all reported crashes involving vehicles using LPG tanks for propulsion, there have been zero. apparently they are way over built regarding punctures relating to collisions

To the why question, again looking for another lesser polluting type of fuel.

LPG is very clean burning, doesn't degrade the oil in the crankcase as quickly, longer service intervals for spark plugs and such, longer engine life.

And currently is priced right in this part of the US, forgetting about the tax credit.

Looking for a Greener, less polluting solution other than Electric traction motor .

Thank you
mepstein
If that's your plan, you bought the wrong car.
Mark Henry
My brother had a propane chevy van, the tank needed was a big cylinder.
Good luck doing a clean install.
wes
blink.gif barf.gif bs.gif screwy.gif Buy a Tesla its clean already designed, most likely a lot cheeper and they likely have a site you can play on!
One of the cool things about a 914 is you can do so many things to them depending on your thoughts desires $$ and capability although over the years I've seen in my eyes some really stupid things done to our beloved little cars.
In conclusion you could likely put roller skates on a truck but why! huh.gif
Gunn1
It was a simple question.

I didn't know if a conversion of this type had been done.

Thanks though for the input
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 3 2016, 12:56 PM) *

I know your Google search button doesn't seem to be working on your keyboard, but I spent 30 seconds and found that the answer is yes....

Propane Porsche 914

One for sale even(old post)..and the question has been asked a few times on 914World already.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 3 2016, 03:04 PM) *

I know your Google search button doesn't seem to be working on your keyboard, but I spent 30 seconds and found that the answer is yes....

Propane Porsche 914

One for sale even(old post)..and the question has been asked a few times on 914World already.

The link you included talks about a 69 chev pickup that was running on CNG and testing leaks with propane.

Not talking about CNG here, we are talking about LPG
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvQmJ34mRQ

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-content..._comparison.jpg
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/01/fu...could-be-a-gas/

So,a na engine built to +15:1 compression spec for the compressed gas can have good results.
The simpler route is the addition of turbos,with spectacular performance.
The clean burning nature of the fuel shows little oil contamination and carbon buildup,spotless.
Spotless after 500K km,on engines in fleet service,gruelling operating conditions.
The cost reflects the demand,the work must be done under strict licensed oversight here in Canada.
The kevlar pressure vessel is the most expensive option,followed by hydroformed stainless and steel.
The future greater use of the commodity means the cost should drop,the long term user reaping the most economy.
https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=l...rbo&start=0
https://www.google.ca/#q=porsche+944+lpg+en...nd&start=20
smile.gif
/
There was a guy..
Guards Red 944 in the UK that had the conversion done,a swell deal for the cost of the fuel.
Some print media(911+Porsche World?) from years ago,vaguely recalled.
Extolled the virtues and itemized costs,without raising the compression mechanically.
/
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 3 2016, 02:20 PM) *

Propane Porsche 914

The link you included talks about a 69 chev pickup that was running on CNG and testing leaks with propane.

Huh?

See screen shot below, looks like 914 related posts to me.

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 3 2016, 02:20 PM) *

Propane Porsche 914

I think your browser has been hijacked by one of those search viruses that directs you to a paid link page. I got a ton of useful Google links. confused24.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jul 3 2016, 04:51 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvQmJ34mRQ

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-content..._comparison.jpg
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/01/fu...could-be-a-gas/

So,a na engine built to +15:1 compression spec for the compressed gas can have good results.
The simpler route is the addition of turbos,with spectacular performance.
The clean burning nature of the fuel shows little oil contamination and carbon buildup,spotless.
Spotless after 500K km,on engines in fleet service,gruelling operating conditions.
The cost reflects the demand,the work must be done under strict licensed oversight here in Canada.
The kevlar pressure vessel is the most expensive option,followed by hydroformed stainless and steel.
The future greater use of the commodity means the cost should drop,the long term user reaping the most economy.
https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=l...rbo&start=0
https://www.google.ca/#q=porsche+944+lpg+en...nd&start=20
smile.gif
/

veekry9,

I appreciate the info and the links you included in your response.

Thanks again.
Porsche930dude
I know a guy that runs his car and van on propane. I dont know much about it but he thinks its great. I converted my riding mower and it works fine. I didnt even do anything special just stuck the hose right on the carb where the gas normally goes in. I wanted to use up some of my propane tanks but no such luck. Iv been mowing my lawn for 2.5 years and the tank hasnt gone down at all. I think converting the 914 would be a great option. Way more better than going electric
zipedadoo
Might try propane injection. I know it works great on a diesel. Might give you an idea if it's worth it to go all the way.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...93O8xYdA1ucSR0w
Jonathan Livesay
Here is a 914/LPG conversion that makes complete sense. smile.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216888.html
Gunn1
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jul 4 2016, 09:54 AM) *

Here is a 914/LPG conversion that makes complete sense. smile.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216888.html

Not looking for info on how to build a grill, I already have one.

Looking for info on converting a 914 to run on a LPG.

But thanks anyway.
Mueller
Same as any other gas engine. Not sure why you have to see a 914 done before doing it.

If you have to ask if it can be done the answer is yes, but not by you. Same as with turbocharging a 914.
Gunn1
Just looking to see if one had been done, if there was a kit that anyone knew of, you know, doing s little research before going any further.

Not sure why you wouldn't want me to do it ...or Turbo for that matter.

Seems like some folks are just angry around here for some reason.
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 11:11 AM) *

Just looking to see if one had been done, if there was a kit that anyone knew of, you know, doing s little research before going any further.

I posted a few links, one of them was for a car already converted. So unless the poster was lying about it, it has been done.

A quick search using "VW Bug LPG" showed a bunch of threads, if one can do a VW Bug with a Type I motor one can do a Type IV motor in a 914.

I don't care if you convert it to run on pig #$%, my point was their is enough data out there for you do it to your current vehicle. If you expect a 100% bolt on kit then I'd say you are out of luck. If there was a kit I'd think we'd see more of them running around.

Seeing a picture of one converted isn't going to tell you how to it. My point was that for certain things if you have to ask can you do it, then no you cannot.

Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 11:11 AM) *

I posted a few links, one of them was for a car already converted. So unless the poster was lying about it, it has been done.

A quick search using "VW Bug LPG" showed a bunch of threads, if one can do a VW Bug with a Type I motor one can do a Type IV motor in a 914.

I don't care if you convert it to run on pig #$%, my point was their is enough data out there for you do it to your current vehicle. If you expect a 100% bolt on kit then I'd say you are out of luck. If there was a kit I'd think we'd see more of them running around.

Seeing a picture of one converted isn't going to tell you how to it. My point was that for certain things if you have to ask can you do it, then no you cannot.

Thank you for your help
Mueller
I've looked into for another vehicle, couldn't find anymore real info on this liquid injected type, seems great on paper.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/hrdp-1...rolet-chevelle/
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 01:35 PM) *

I've looked into for another vehicle, couldn't find anymore real info on this liquid injected type, seems great on paper.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/hrdp-1...rolet-chevelle/

Thank you the Hot Rod article was great!

Part of it said;

"To show that an enthusiast could build his own propane-powered muscle car and still be green, Jim and Johnny ditched the high-strung small-block and opted for a Chevrolet Performance LSX 454 topped with a Magnuson 2300 supercharger. They reasoned if their propane-fuel delivery system can feed a blown 7.4L engine, it should be able to handle most resto-mods and performance builds. Starting with a 20-gallon tank marketed by Propane Performance Industries (PPI) that stores propane at about 200 psi, the fuel is moved to the injector as a liquid. This required special, high-impedance Siemens Deka injectors you'd typically find in an industrial refrigeration application. The benefit to liquid injection is that the liquid fuel expands to more than 200 times its volume when injected into the port. Not only is that excellent for atomization, but when a liquid under pressure turns into a gas, it cools--lowering the intake air temperature and preventing pre-ignition. Also, as was discovered in the engine's second version, the rapid expansion can also add a couple of pounds of "free" boost on a naturally aspirated application.

All this talk about the benefits of propane probably has you wondering just what it all means for performance. On an engine dyno, the 454 put down 924 hp and 980 lb-ft. using a 102mm throttle-body. Jim has since moved to a 90mm throttle body that's not so prone to frying the tires, but they're not yet done tuning, either. The mileage is also comparable to gasoline, because while gasoline has a slight edge in energy density (it has more BTUs per gallon), propane runs at much leaner 16:1 air/fuel ratio. "

So basically bears out most of what I have said. Might be concerned about how the cooling property of the fuel would effect overall engine temp though.

Interesting article none the less .

Sort of paints a little brighter picture of the use of LPG as a viable fuel .....
Chris914n6
Here is your kit Google is good. Right under the images in the link Mueller posted.

Nobody is angry. Everyone likes to spoon feed newbies... icon8.gif barf.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 4 2016, 03:36 PM) *

Here is your kit Google is good. Right under the images in the link Mueller posted.

Thank you for the link
DBCooper
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Thank you for the link

Lift a finger. You don't need to have other people do google searches for you, do them yourself. Lift your own finger.

Big Len
Just curious - Do you believe that petroleum fueled 914 are polluters?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 4 2016, 06:18 PM) *

Depends on the condition of the engine.

If it's in good repair and the pollution control equipment is connected and functioning, it probably isn't to bad.

If there is a lot of blow by and the PC equip isn't working, then it is obviously polluting and probably would not pass the inspections for certain emissions.

jd74914
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 4 2016, 06:18 PM) *

Depends on the condition of the engine.

If it's in good repair and the pollution control equipment is connected and functioning, it probably isn't to bad.

If there is a lot of blow by and the PC equip isn't working, then it is obviously polluting and probably would not pass the inspections for certain emissions.

I bet your early 914 (assume totally stock, perfectly operational) sends 40x more NOx and particulate as well as 10x more CO into the air than a modern cars running the same drive cycles. blink.gif Just a slightly educated WAG though.
Mueller
Do you really think you are going to be putting enough miles on your 914 to make even a .0000001% increase in pollution?

The natural resources spent/used to do the conversion will never be recouped.

While a noble idea, I think it's a little silly to think it's going to make any difference at all.
Plan on getting rid of all of your other polluting vehicles?
veekry9
Click to view attachment
N Plasma Ignition Circuit.

A high compression,normally or pressurized aircooled engine burning LPG or other,would be good.
A close fitting piston and a static CR of +15:1 and more would result in some interesting performance.
The crankcase oil would no longer be contaminated with blowby and the cylinders would not accumulate carbon buildup.
A high pressure port or better,a chamber injection system makes the typical T4 into a viable modern ICE.
The testing of a built engine to determine the limits of chamber pressure possible is a large task.
The cam timing must be altered to optimize the dry flows of the rev range,some distinct advantages off idle.
Hmmm...
idea.gif
/
(edit:07/09/16)
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...ant%20reduction

/
Gunn1
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jul 5 2016, 02:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment
N Plasma Ignition Circuit.

A high compression,normally or pressurized aircooled engine burning LPG or other,would be good.
A close fitting piston and a static CR of +15:1 and more would result in some interesting performance.
The crankcase oil would no longer be contaminated with blowby and the cylinders would not accumulate carbon buildup.
A high pressure port or better,a chamber injection system makes the typical T4 into a viable modern ICE.
The testing of a built engine to determine the limits of chamber pressure possible is a large task.
The cam timing must be altered to optimize the dry flows of the rev range,some distinct advantages off idle.
Hmmm...
idea.gif

Exactly what I was thinking but not near as eloquent ......who am I kidding not what I was thinking at all, but very intriguing!

Nicely put Veekry9

I have been instructed that ending a response with a Thank you is annoying and makes me a Butt hurt attention whore so I will just reply with a simple

Laters
colingreene
I don't see how it would be much different than any other car.
really the thing to do would be to convert it using a real ecu, that's the only way i see this working.
Where i would start is look for threads about converting other type of cars and take the information you gained there and apply it to the 914.
Natural gas burns cooler or hotter I seriously don't remember.
outside of that combustion is combustion.
you just need to arrange the way to do it to fit the car.
as far as kit being made to do it, not likely.
I dont see a reason it cant or should not be done if thats what you are into.
Gunn1
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 5 2016, 12:14 PM) *

I don't see how it would be much different than any other car.
really the thing to do would be to convert it using a real ecu, that's the only way i see this working.
Where i would start is look for threads about converting other type of cars and take the information you gained there and apply it to the 914.
Natural gas burns cooler or hotter I seriously don't remember.
outside of that combustion is combustion.
you just need to arrange the way to do it to fit the car.
as far as kit being made to do it, not likely.
I dont see a reason it cant or should not be done if thats what you are into.

I appreciate the response
Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 4 2016, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 4 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Thank you for the link

Lift a finger. You don't need to have other people do google searches for you, do them yourself. Lift your own finger.

Here's a lifted finger for ya pal, here's Johnny!

Click to view attachment
DBCooper
You're what, about fourteen years old? Grow up.

Good news is that you've apparently figured out how to google. Big progress, congrats.

Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 5 2016, 06:12 PM) *

You're what, about fourteen years old? Grow up.

Good news is that you've apparently figured out how to google. Big progress, congrats.

And your what 90? time to retire
Since I can't figure how to utilize the "search " function.
OP, can you please advise me on how I can fit the engine of the
millennium falcon in my 74 914....I think it would be great.
injunmort
i am brazing all my rust repairs with LPG. a cleaner joint can't be had.
Gunn1
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 5 2016, 06:31 PM) *

Since I can't figure how to utilize the "search " function.
OP, can you please advise me on how I can fit the engine of the
millennium falcon in my 74 914....I think it would be great.

Can't do that, but I can show you how to fit my foot up your @ss!

Not only that The Millennium falcon is so yesterday........
Big Len
The following post is NOT indicative of 914 World as a group; it is simply my own opinion:

I knew this guy was an ass wipe from the start.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 5 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Johnny Cash had much thicker skin, man. Seriously, online threats? Can an admin please give this guy a time out or just ban him?
In the meantime, "You have chosen to ignore all posts from: OU812."
Gunn1
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 5 2016, 06:52 PM) *

The following post is NOT indicative of 914 World as a group; it is simply my own opinion:

I knew this guy was an ass wipe from the start.

Is that all you got?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jul 5 2016, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 5 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Johnny Cash had much thicker skin, man. Seriously, online threats? Can an admin please give this guy a time out or just ban him?
In the meantime, "You have chosen to ignore all posts from: OU812."

You give in return what you get.....not a threat, a sarcastic reply to a idiotic request.

As many here would say "use the search function"
DavidSweden
This thread is an embarrassment to the forum
DBCooper
Veek, it's not "sadistic," it's regular old parenting. You can keep doing it for him if you choose, that's fine, but be aware that you're not doing him any favors. One of these days he has to learn how to do it for himself, stop depending on others, become an adult.

Hey Matt, you have a point. Nothing to be gained, he's now on my "ignore" list.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.