Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New URO 914-6 rubber engine mount, I bought one to see how it compares to the factory one
johnhora
post Jul 13 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 107
Region Association: None

Luke...do the mounting holes line up center to center for the URO....maybe it's just the perspective in the photo....but the URO looks a tad wider
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Jul 13 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 107

Have you used the URO transmission mounts?
What are your thoughts on the build and quality.
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jul 13 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 13 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Luke...do the mounting holes line up center to center for the URO....maybe it's just the perspective in the photo....but the URO looks a tad wider
Thanks

Hi John,

I not answering for Luke here but the first thing I did when I received the motor mount was test the mounting hole alignment with an OE bulkhead mount. The holes line up perfectly. From a visual perspective, they [the URO motor mounts] look to be very well made.

Greg
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 13 2016, 04:04 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 13 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Thanks

Have you used the URO transmission mounts?
What are your thoughts on the build and quality.

The engine mount holes all line up to the factory part.
Over all it looks like a nice part and seams to be well made.
I would say that time and use of the mount will be the only way to actually tell if it will hold up. I can tell between the two now that I've stared at them both long enough to find some differences. Is it for the good or bad ? I'm not sure but it doesn't seam to be structural so it should be fine. Again time will tell. If I scrubbed the URO name off the mount it would be hard for someone else to tell which part was factory or repo. I would still like to see what Mikey will make and will buy one of his mounts as well.

I have not seen a URO trans mount so I can't say anything on that.
I believe there was a few guys here that bought some but weren't too happy with them. I do not recall what the issue was. Maybe someone with a set will chime in on that part. I do however have a set of Wevo trans mounts and they're a well built part.
+Quote Post
gms
post Jul 13 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I found the aluminum center piece
just let me know if you need to borrow it Mark

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 13 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Yes please pm me if you need the address or I can email you a label.

Mark p
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jul 13 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,967

this place rocks.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 13 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 14,145

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 12 2016, 04:24 PM) *

I was looking around the web and found that EBS was now selling a repo 914-6 rubber engine mount. I figured for $195 that I'd buy it and compare it to my factory 6 part. First it's a URO part ( yeah I know ) but it looks close to the factory part.
There's a small difference in the rubber molding on the upper side but other then that it looks to be the same.

OK. I need to display my ignorance, again. What's the issue with URO parts? I've been looking for one of these mounts for a while now, as my resto is nearing completion. The engine has been upgraded, so I thought it would be a good time to replace what is the original mount. I'd also be happy to buy one from 914rubber if/when available.

"Walther" is in pretty good company while waiting for final touches:Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 13 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #29

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 06:38 PM) *
OK. I need to display my ignorance, again. What's the issue with URO parts?

Search and you shall receive!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Jul 13 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #30

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What's the issue with URO parts?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) The wise one has spoken... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

* if pictures help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jul 13 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

Does anyone here have pics of what the upper and lower mounting plates on either side of the rubber mount?
Interesting to see what they look like and if anyone on this site can make them?

like mb911 who does the 914-6 tanks/filler necks.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 13 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2016, 06:53 PM) *

I did and I learned they are made in China with several distributors. I realize that's not necessarily a good thing. I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?. Especially since the 2.7 will likely put additional stress on the mounting point? Thanks in advance.

- MR
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 13 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #33

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 08:54 PM) *
I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?.

Nobody knows yet, hence this thread ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 14 2016, 12:10 AM
Post #34

The rubber man

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2016, 06:53 PM) *

I did and I learned they are made in China with several distributors. I realize that's not necessarily a good thing. I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?. Especially since the 2.7 will likely put additional stress on the mounting point? Thanks in advance.

- MR

Yeah, My business model is all wrong. I should charge more and make my parts offshore.

URO has been stalking me, in fact there was a thread on this exact part in a Hey mikey, can you make these thread. I didn't focus much on it as it didn't look like much traction. I'm making them now to hang them with a few thousand Chinese paperweights.
My problem was that I have a conscience. I know the tool for these can be made for about $1500, and the unit cost to produce 100 of these is about $30-40 each. So I'd be into these for about $50 a unit, but I couldn't see charging what they do.
Make them in China, and they can't cost more than $15 a unit. Add in shipping, but I'm sure they have containers coming over.

At a certain point most business will give up, people buy the cheapest part, and put the little guys out of business. Another trick they have started doing is adding OE to all of their part numbers, clearly an attempt to confuse the uneducated public, that OE cam mean anything , most just assume Original Equipment. Yeah, kind of sneaky right?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 14 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Marks last reply makes a lot of sense,as to how long they last only time will tell,IMO not as long as a original one,rubber mounts and control arm bushes out of china all appear very soft or turn that way rather quickly,have had first hand experience with this with VW engine mounts and BMW /Audi replacement control arms.
However some brands have proven better than others.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 14 2016, 01:28 AM
Post #36

The rubber man

They are big enough they will be around fro quite some time. They have spread like a cancer through the auto parts industry. Many of you buy parts without any idea of where they come from. This is a perfect example..... showed up and said URO on it.

The margins on these parts are HUGE. Look at all the new "parts houses" popping up Rock Auto, and many more. It's about search engine optimization and drop shipping.

Pelican parts was the 1st company to really get it right. The difference is Wayne, knows and loves these cars. I do have to hand it to them, they are very good at procuring parts and drop shipping. the problem is that URO has worked it's way into many of the suppliers. You can order an OE part and guess what you get.

There is no doubt they will be around for sometime, their margins will support it. If a part fails, they can send another and still make a profit on your sale.
Not saying the part isn't pretty, but I wonder how it did in testing in the "LAB"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 14 2016, 06:27 AM
Post #37

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Yeah, if Mark is making it, why go anywhere else? I know he is going to be there and will stand behind his products. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Additionally, I want to support our community. I know I am going to have a large rubber order and I imagine I will need this engine mount for my car too. Chinese stuff? - no way.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 14 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2016, 12:28 AM) *

They are big enough they will be around fro quite some time. They have spread like a cancer through the auto parts industry. Many of you buy parts without any idea of where they come from. This is a perfect example..... showed up and said URO on it.

The margins on these parts are HUGE. Look at all the new "parts houses" popping up Rock Auto, and many more. It's about search engine optimization and drop shipping.

Pelican parts was the 1st company to really get it right. The difference is Wayne, knows and loves these cars. I do have to hand it to them, they are very good at procuring parts and drop shipping. the problem is that URO has worked it's way into many of the suppliers. You can order an OE part and guess what you get.

There is no doubt they will be around for sometime, their margins will support it. If a part fails, they can send another and still make a profit on your sale.
Not saying the part isn't pretty, but I wonder how it did in testing in the "LAB"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I have to say this about the URO products, I'm not a fan of them. I Usually stay away from buying them. I bought this 6 mount to see how it would compare to the NLA factory part. I have and will always buy parts from Mark ( as long as he will continue to make them ). I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

Someone also asked for some pics of the upper/lower mount plates so here's a few pics of those.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 14 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2016, 07:42 AM) *

I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

+1. Hence my original question. I too am very reluctant to buy "Made in China", simply because the stuff is usually poor quality. Harbor Freight tools are a great example. Fine for one-time use, but the very last thing I want to put in my car. I'm always amazed when I hear someone considering not-Made-in-Germany engine bearings for their 911 rebuild, simply because they're "cheaper". Really???

I guess I'll wait for Mikey to make these NLA parts available again and gladly buy from him. Just seemed like a good time to replace my original mount since the engine's already out, etc.

Thanks for the feedback and follow-up information, guys.

- MR
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jul 14 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 11,134

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2016, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2016, 12:28 AM) *

I have to say this about the URO products, I'm not a fan of them. I Usually stay away from buying them. I bought this 6 mount to see how it would compare to the NLA factory part. I have and will always buy parts from Mark ( as long as he will continue to make them ). I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

Someone also asked for some pics of the upper/lower mount plates so here's a few pics of those.

These [the top and bottom plates] look like something Restoration Design could reproduce pretty easily. McMark??
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 09:40 AM