Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> $38,000 '73 914 2.0????, Okay!
Qarl
post Apr 10 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #1

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Sure looks awesome, though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...6&category=6430

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Brett W
post Apr 10 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169

Lets put a V8 in it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 10 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #22

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sawzall+914=Increased Value
CCLINBUYANDSELL
+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 10 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #23

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Radios and antennas were dealer installed options on the 914 but the dealers installed the antennas on the driver's side fender (although I really can't speak for all Porsche dealerships). I believe most of the antennas you see on the passenger side were aftermarket installations.

By the way, I turned down 25K for my Sahara Beige 914 last week. I'm not kidding!
+Quote Post
Brando
post Apr 10 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #24

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

blegh

This post has been edited by Brando: Apr 10 2005, 07:29 PM
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Apr 10 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #25

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 10 2005, 06:59 PM)
I hope it sells for at least the starting bid.

I'm kind of dissappointed. We all rip apart good cars when their listed, but not everyone realizes the reprucussions.

The more we devalue what our cars sell for, the less they're all worth. I'd rather be helping that car sell. It's like you all want your cars to be easier to buy and be cheaper, but sell for more. Kind of counter-productive no?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Oh man, not again. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Here it comes (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chair.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/spank.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 10 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #26

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I want LOW market value. I'm not selling. I don't care if some stranger thinks my "Porsh" is worth a bunch o' dollars. I want to be able to drive & repair & enjoy & to hell with the # of miles & the # of paint coats & "the factory didn't make 'em that way". The more undiscovered we remain, the better. Thats my take. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 10 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #27

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

Steve G

I believe you. Your car is worth much, much more than that $25K offer. There are people out there with lots of money. Our gang of 914ers have this cheap mentality & a difficult time understanding some folks have money. If you don't believe me tune into the Barrett Jackson Auctions.

Hope I didn't offend anyone calling them cheap, but our 914 crowd needs to think like the rich folks uptown. They buy quality and have the money. As the 914's become acceptable the prices will keep going up. How high, hard to predict. I believe after this years Parade there will be a spike in prices with all the 914's showing up. 6's will lead the way then 73-74, 2-liters.

Tom
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 10 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #28

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Well, I am taking mine up to the parade, but I didn't know there was any expectation of an abundance of teeners. It's true, PCA doesn't ignore our little car anymore, but I agree that it aint no nine-eleben. If prices go as high as this guy wants, the value will be gone for me. They aren't THAT GOOD. Hell, I would prolly pay more for a good v-8 conversion , or the Alien (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) , but my plain 'ol 2.0 isn't a $25K auto.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 10 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #29

Mid-Engn.

Hey Phil,

I agree with you about the 914. You can't stop the rise of these adorabel little cars. They fit everyones pleasure from V/8 powered to restored. They fit the rich & poor and everyone in between. I remember the 356 a number of years ago. They had their low end admirer's who waited too long to purchase. They are now out of the market, because the source of cheap ones dried up. It's happening now with our 914's. Get yours now & forget about cheap 914's. Give our 914's the respect they deserve & everyone stop talking cheap $$.

Tom
BTW
My dream 914 would be a V/8 powdered GT type 914.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 10 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #30

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 10 2005, 05:44 PM)
Steve G

I believe you. Your car is worth much, much more than that $25K offer. There are people out there with lots of money. Our gang of 914ers have this cheap mentality & a difficult time understanding some folks have money. If you don't believe me tune into the Barrett Jackson Auctions.

Hope I didn't offend anyone calling them cheap, but our 914 crowd needs to think like the rich folks uptown. They buy quality and have the money. As the 914's become acceptable the prices will keep going up. How high, hard to predict. I believe after this years Parade there will be a spike in prices with all the 914's showing up. 6's will lead the way then 73-74, 2-liters.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I totally agree with your insight. Original paint, low mileage, totally original 914's will continue to appreciate and bring top dollar. Also cars like your Chrome Yellow '74 2 Liter that are restored to perfection will also demand a premium. However, cars like these should never take anything away from the daily driver cars and the customized cars that so many enjoy. It just so happened that back in 1998 when I bought my Sahara Beige 914 from the original owner it was so perfect that I knew that I had no choice but to preserve it. I get a lot of criticism for not utilizing it more but cars like this just don't come around very often. We should probably be thankful that perfect examples of these cars still exist because in the long run it will help bring the value of all 914's up proportionally. And that can't be all bad!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 10 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #31

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

We were picking this one apart in another thread earlier...

I think it's a mistake. "Restored" should not be a word used to describe a 4-cyl $30K 914. It should NOT have speaker holes in the doors.

I'm thiinking someone needs to smack the guy that priced that car...in 10 years, sure...in 2005...no way. Not that car anyway.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 10 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #32

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I am with you Steve. I think the vintage car mentality should think long term. An original car is only original once. 20,000 miles is better than 50,000 miles if all the other variables are the same. The way Tom has restored his car...its better than factory new.

We still enjoy our cars immensely without driving them to the store everyday, we have other cars for the chores. In fact for me, seeing them so pristine is the best experience of all.

I hope some day we can host a 'Favorite 914 Gallery' here on this website. Tom and Steve, your cars would be at the top of my nomination for the list.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 10 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #33

Sahara Beige Steve

Jeff, have you always been so reasonable? You're the man!
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 10 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #34

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

can someone tell me why the VIN on this car is in a whole different format than mine? i don't understand... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Apr 10 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #35

Sahara Beige Steve

VIN 4732922004 - The format of the VIN on your car should be exactly like this. You must be looking at something other than the VIN. Unless your talking about the sticker itself. There were a couple different versions of the sticker.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 10 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #36

Tom, I just happen to have you V8 powered GT 914, it won't be cheap.
CCLINBUYHOLDSELL

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 11 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #37

Mid-Engn.

Craig, you bastard!! That's like dangling crack to an addict.

If you tell me those are steel flares, I'll have to ask my better half to loan me the money. Wow, life is full of choices. Keep my happy home life or live on the street with my V/8 914. I'll send you a personal PM.

Tom
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 11 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #38

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

One of the problems with 914's is that it's (except for engine and trans), it's actually cheper to restore a 911. Weather seals are cheaper for a 911 than a 914, and for some parts the corresponding 911 part is less than the 914 part.

Of course this should all be mute points on a low mileage car.

It could be very possible to have a low mileage car that needs cosmetic restoration, but I wouldn't think as much as this person claims.

Believe me restoration work isn't a dollar for dollar swap at sale time.

The only way to really know what this car is about is to be able to sit in it, drive it, crawl under it, and peer into all the dark recesses you can't see on a eBay ad.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 11 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #39

Having owned Porsches sine the early 70s and been a Porsche enthusiast sice then. I have seen the prices rise and fall on all of the Porsche cars.I have been enamored withthe 914 for the past ten years, I have restored and bought and sold a number of these cars and I have watched there status change to what I beleive is bordering on the collector car.

The 356 is very reflective of the state of value fluctuation that the 914 is in right now. The 356 was seen as underpowered and only for those how really didn't want to step up to the 911s and Carreras. Sort of an outcast if you will, until the advent of the 356 registry, and the 356 was thrown into a new collector car status. The prices have been rising ever since.

The 914 has slowly grown into the car of choice by those who either do not want, can'tafford or just don't like the 911 or 356.
Throw away mentality is pushing the 914 into the collector car status, this isn't nessecarily a good thing, it happened to the 356, 914s left out in the elements are hard to bring back to life. Lack of parts and lack of funds on the owners part, plus the idea that you can sell the parts and discard the rest is prevalent.

Look at the British car magazines, numerousads appear for manufacturers of complete bodies, and panels and doors and hoods. You can build a whole from replacement panels.
The 914 is not so lucky, you have to salvage panels from discarded 914s to help keep one on the road.
Open a hot rod magazine, companies are manufacturing complete 32 Ford bodies from steel. The original 32 Ford bodies are either rusted away or have been saved and restored.

Until attitudes change towards the 914 that it is a throw away car, good cars are going to increase in value and great cars are going to command the higher prices that we are starting to see today.
CCLINBUYANDSELL
+Quote Post
morgan_harwell
post Apr 11 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #40

Ha! Finally snuck up on a camera!

Member No.: 203
Region Association: Northern California

>Includes: 'snip' Original Dark Tan Leather Interior

Leather interior looks real nice, but "original", I don't think so.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:25 PM