Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> $38,000 '73 914 2.0????, Okay!
mike_the_man
post Apr 11 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #41

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

I sent the seller an email asking exactly what he meant by restored, as well as why there were speakers in the door panels, and an aftermarket radio. I also asked for pics of the engine and undercarriage.

Here is his reply: "Reconditioned is a better choice of word...I have updated the auction, please reveiw. Thanks, Ron Hentsche."

Not a whole lot of help. I still have no idea what he means by reconditioned. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) No pics sent either. Who wants to bet that its carbed! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

It looks like a very nice car, and I'm all for the prices of our cars going up, but IMHO, there is no way this car should sell for what he's asking. There are a few things that seem a little sketchy to me.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 11 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #42

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I really need (at least) two 914s. My current high mileage, no-longer-stock driver; and a true "original condition" collector car. I understand the fascenation with pristine originality, but not pristine re-assembly. Once it has been "restored", or even "reconditioned", it isn't historical, it is more "representational". My car still may be a factory color, but it has been "improved" in various ways- options unavailable at time of production due to technology or $. I like it that way fer the drivin'. But for historical significance, a car shouldn't be re-anythinged. I think a few battle scars are even acceptable on an un-restored car. Thats where the history is....
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 11 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #43

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This seller is trying to be honest about the "recondition" of this car. He isn't hiding anything. He just hasn't taken as many pics as another seller might.
Description reads "fuel injection".
CCLINSAYLAVIE
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 11 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #44

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Lack of parts and lack of funds on the owners part, plus the idea that you can sell the parts and discard the rest is prevalent.

Nothing is going to stem the tide until prices rise quite a bit more. Right now parts are worth a lot more than a beat chassis. 10 years from now a rustoration project chassis might be worth something and won't get cut up. Until then 914s will continue to be neglected and cut up when deemed no longer fit for service. Very few people neglect a 911 because the entry price is a lot higher.

+Quote Post
greg.treadway
post Apr 11 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #45

914 Nut

Member No.: 3,295

The repaint worries me.
+Quote Post
davep
post Apr 11 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #46

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

A very nice appearing car. One of my favourite colors also. The repaint does not look very good though, it is far too rough. Nice job on masking the DOT decal, they removed the Karmann badge, but still did not get the paint right.

If the car was well taken care of, then it could be a restored 111,000 mile car. It was very easy to roll over the 100,000 mile mark. They should have finished the front trunk properly. I can't believe such a low milage car would need the complete repaint. At those kind of miles the original paint should still be good on the interior at least.

There are a few very nice original cars. Steve's car is definitely one of those. The extra bonus of custom color adds quite a bit also. A value there of between $30 to $40K would be reasonable right now. The blue 76 seen earlier is also in that category I think. This car may be worth about $20K when properly finished.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Apr 11 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #47

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Mine would cost me $38k by the time it was fully restored, if I cared anymore, and was more than just a touch stupid!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

No funny remarks, I admitted I am at least a bit stupid, let's move on..

M
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 11 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

I think enough people laughed at the owner, he removed the "buy it now" option.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:54 PM