Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weber carb help, Weber Gurus?
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 24 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I just finished installing an overhaul kit in one of my 44idf's. It runs great now except for a stubborn fuel leak at the large 19mm filter holder plug just next to the fuel intake. The one that holds the small white filter. That one. I can't get it to stop leaking. Not a pouring out leak but a drip per second leak. I tried loosening it, tightening it and using two gaskets together and it still leaks. both surfaces look clean and smooth. Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jul 24 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

Cooper crush washer, or the red fiber crush washer? If it's a fiber crush washer, soak it in low viscosity motor oil or gasoline for an hour. Wipe off the excess oil, and reinstall. Soaking it in gas or oil allows the fiber washer to swell up, and facilitates sealing. To be honest, if you left it sit overnight, then tightened it a little bit in the morning, it would seal, but this method guarantees it will seal the first time out.

Common problem with new fiber sealing washers. I'm assuming they are the fiber ones, as pretty much all the rebuild kits I've seen include the fiber washers... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 24 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Threebond 1104, Yamabond is the same thing except rebranded by Yamaha.
Light bead on each side of the aluminum or fiber washer.
+Quote Post
type2man
post Jul 24 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

Try loosening and tightening it softly a couple of times to set the gaskets in place
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 24 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If with the gasket in place you have a leak, most likely you have some damage of th mating surfaces.

Typically, unless it's a huge gash, the gasket will make up for,the difference...

Are you using a gasket there?
What type?

Is it the right filter or maybe it's holding the part. Just a hair.
I know there are what, 10 different accelerator pumps for them....maybe there are multiple filters and you got one too tall.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 24 2016, 09:35 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 24 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Cooper crush washer, or the red fiber crush washer? If it's a fiber crush washer, soak it in low viscosity motor oil or gasoline for an hour. Wipe off the excess oil, and reinstall. Soaking it in gas or oil allows the fiber washer to swell up, and facilitates sealing. To be honest, if you left it sit overnight, then tightened it a little bit in the morning, it would seal, but this method guarantees it will seal the first time out.

Common problem with new fiber sealing washers. I'm assuming they are the fiber ones, as pretty much all the rebuild kits I've seen include the fiber washers... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It's a fiber washer. I'm trying the "leave it overnight and tighten it the next day" method. Only because I didn't know what else to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) If it still doesn't work I'll try soaking it.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 24 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2016, 07:38 PM) *

If with the gasket in place you have a leak, most likely you have some damage of th mating surfaces.

Typically, unless it's a huge gash, the gasket will make up for,the difference...

Are you using a gasket there?
What type?

Is it the right filter or maybe it's holding the part. Just a hair.
I know there are what, 10 different accelerator pumps for them....maybe there are multiple filters and you got one too tall.

I thought it might be the filter but it's the same filter that was in it. The one in the overhaul kit was damaged. Both mating surfaces seemed clean and smooth. Interestingly, the one on the other carb. was leaking as well. Tightened it a little and the leak stopped. Could be that the gaskets just got dry?? The car has sat since the rt66 "freeze your ass off in Arizona tour". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 24 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Jbweld.....had to be said.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 24 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2016, 09:06 PM) *

Jbweld.....had to be said.

Pipe fitting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 26 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

[quote name=''73-914kid' date='Jul 24 2016, 06:13 PM' post='2375964']

[/quote

I soaked it in oil for a few hours and re-installed it. It looks like that might have done the trick. Thanks for the tip.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 26 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Jul 25 2016, 10:00 PM' post='2376554']
[quote name=''73-914kid' date='Jul 24 2016, 06:13 PM' post='2375964']

[/quote

I soaked it in oil for a few hours and re-installed it. It looks like that might have done the trick. Thanks for the tip.
[/quote]

Keep a close eye on it. watched a local teener burst into flames at the last autocross after it lost a plug from a carb. Needless to say it didnt help my opinion of carbs....

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 21 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

I think I finally got something that would stop the leak. I bought very thin 1/2 inch mylar washers, opened them up to 9/16, squeezed one of them over the threads of the plug, installed it and so far no leaks. I'm pretty sure the mylar will hold up. I'm told mylar never deteriorates. Ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 21 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #13

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Also, for future work, get an extra 6 sided 19mm and shave it down so the mating surfaces are perfectly square. It helps you get some torque on that fitting without damaging it.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 21 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2016, 04:13 PM) *

Also, for future work, get an extra 6 sided 19mm and shave it down so the mating surfaces are perfectly square. It helps you get some torque on that fitting without damaging it.

Do be clear, you're talking about a 19mm socket, correct?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 21 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #15

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 21 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2016, 04:50 PM) *

Yah, OK. I went out and looked at my 19mm socket and see exactly what you mean. As Jules said to Brad, "you a smart mofo"!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:40 PM