Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Windshield, installation
DavidSweden
post Jul 26 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

The windshield on my car needs replacing before I invest in a new one I have a question regarding installation.

The current windshield has a rubber seal around instead of the chrome trim. Can anyone tell me if the install procedure is the same as for the chrome trim and can I reuse the rubber?

The car is a 76 are the windshields the same for all models?

Thanks
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1300.photobucket.com-17452-1469542714.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Darren C
post Jul 26 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Can anyone tell me if the install procedure is the same as for the chrome trim?

With the aftermarket rubber seal the screen will most probably have been bonded in using a modern sealant. This will need to be cut out with a cheese wire tool.
The chrome trim is clipped in using a series of “use once” plastic clips. Chances are these clips have been removed by whoever fitted the rubber seal. If you would like to go back to a chrome surround its always best practice to get a new set of clips anyway.

and can I reuse the rubber?

Cutting out the bonding agent/sealant risks damaging the rubber, but it’s a low cost item so you’d be wise to get a new one if you want to stay with the aftermarket look, especially as with such an expensive job, it would be a shame to spoil it by using an old re-used cheap rubber seal.

The car is a 76 are the windshields the same for all models?

Yes.
Porsche Centre are by far the best (and I found) the cheapest for a new GENUINE windshield, plus it fits and has Porsche optical quality.

Good luck

Check out my Build-off thread for picture/information on windshield replacement.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:45 PM