Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this picture photo shopped?, I never saw a 904 up close
Tom_T
post Jul 27 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #21

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RohJay @ Jul 27 2016, 12:04 PM) *

Perhaps there is a valid case for a sub-718 model after all...

Not the least of which, having a segment topping price & capability wise sports car to compete with the current offerings of Miata, Alpha & the new Fiat 124 Spyder Redux!

They could sell a smaller, lighter (2000-2500#), no frills, turbo 4 914/550 Redux at the top of the same price range as the above 3 - as the married guy's weekend car & racer/AXer all day to the guys with the 2 family cars in the driveway - even if they're both Porsches, & probably a turbo 6 version too! And that's not to mention it also being the "entry Level Porsche" for single folks to use as a combo DD/fun car!

That's exactly how the 356 Speedsters got started by Hoffman in the 1950's, & is just as valid today - if not more so!

Porsche management needs to pull their collective heads out, & get busy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

JMHO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 27 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I was following a Porsche GT across Golden Gate Bridge last week. The thing that blows your mind is the width. The car just about fills the lane. I swear it was way wider than the Ferrari running with it. They were probably heading up to Sears Point.

I checked, they are 76" wide.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jul 27 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #23

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2016, 02:34 PM) *

I'm pretty sure it's real. Porsches got BIG.

Aisles in Walmart got bigger too.
+Quote Post
enf2232
post Jul 27 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,621
Region Association: None

Since we are comparing ...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 27 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #25

TMI....

QUOTE(enf2232 @ Jul 27 2016, 03:25 PM) *

Actually, my 2nd car which I sold after I got my 914 in 75 (#3 car), was about that same size as your Olds 98 drop-top there in the pic - being a 69 Pontiac Ventura 4DR Hardtop (125" WB Catalina based) with 400ci 2bbl V8 & AT that sucked gas at 7-10 mpg - that being one of my main motivators to getting a fun but more fuel efficient car, after going thru the 73 Oil Crisis - 10 gals max, by even or odd every other day, with "The Boat"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jul 27 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My dad's 914-6 next to his Cayman (which give its size, I thought was actually a Panamera (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) yup, cars like Americans have only gotten fatter over the years.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 27 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,106

If you want a crazier growth, look at the evolution of Japanese cars.I went to a Toyota dealer's 40th anniversary party a few years back and they had an example of each generation of Corolla. Talk about growing!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 27 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #28

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think it's real
And this one?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 27 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 27 2016, 11:43 AM) *

I had an early MR2 park next to me once. I stood in disbelief about how much smaller it was than my 914. Nothing makes the perspective more real than seeing them side by side.

Yep! We think we have small cars. They are Yuuuuge.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 28 2016, 07:36 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I don't think anyone should complain about how much bigger "small" cars are getting.

If I had to choose which I would like to be t-boned in by a soccer mom checking her Twitter feed, I'd choose a Cayman over a 914 any day of the week. Twice on Sunday.
+Quote Post
RohJay
post Jul 28 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,689

991 is beautiful in its own right. But looks so bloated and awkward next to a 993. I suppose mostly dictated by enhanced safety standards

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 28 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #32

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 28 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 28 2016, 09:36 AM) *

I don't think anyone should complain about how much bigger "small" cars are getting.

If I had to choose which I would like to be t-boned in by a soccer mom checking her Twitter feed, I'd choose a Cayman over a 914 any day of the week. Twice on Sunday.

Bingo- it's all about crumple zones. Cars need larger crumple zones to meet current crash rating standards.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 28 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 27 2016, 09:11 PM) *

I think it's real
And this one?

Yes that's real too, from a 1970/71 Porsche ad.

The 917 is about a foot shorter, but wider & longer than our 914s - what do you expect in order to fit 3x the cylinders, but the 917 is still small compared to today's production Porsches & racers alike

I was actually just gonna post the ad pic for that one, but saw that you got it in above. Here is a German version of the print ad, but there was a USA version too.

Attached Image

This is another official Porsche promotional/ad pic of another orange 914 .... & - yes, they're real too, & could BOTH ride along with you in a 914 thanx to the center seat/cushion & optional seat belt, but not in a 917! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 28 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #35

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

My 914 was parked beside a 550 (kit) at a show, the top of the windshield was only as high as the door window scrapers.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 28 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #36

TMI....

QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 28 2016, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 28 2016, 09:36 AM) *

Bingo- it's all about crumple zones. Cars need larger crumple zones to meet current crash rating standards.

Actually folks, Porsche did a pretty good job about designing in crumple zones & crash survivability into our 914s, & I have a couple of friends, as well as there being some members on here, who are alive &/or not seriously injured thanx to that design!

They didn't have today's insurance institute tests of today, but they did do crash testing themselves back then.

And it was probably a no less "unequal accident battlefield" with much larger & heavier cars to worry about back then - as the contemporary red Olds 98 convertible in the pic above clearly shows - as compared to today's big SUVs & pick-ups in the current marketplace.

Many big full size American cars back then weighed in at over 5000 lbs. x 65+ speeds = higher momentum on impact, than with the average weight of sub-compact, compact & mid-size cars of today! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

And anyone today driving on I-5 between LA & SF or any other highway/freeway around, can attest to the flow of traffic actually exceeding the 65 or 70 mph speed limits by 10-20 mph - aside from the speed demons blazing by at 20-40+ over! So the momentum is actually higher today! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

This is different driver behavior of mass speeding today than back then, my having started driving in the 1960's myself, so I can tell you that the majority of driver's then followed the speedlimits then. Yes there were still "Ricky Racers" then, but today the Soccer Mom's, Teens & 20's, 30's all seem to push the envelope to whatever the flow is going today, which is typically faster - even on surface streets & back roads! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

So do not sell our little 914s short in that respect, relative to a current Porsche - even with today's higher speeds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
bretth
post Jul 28 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Several years ago I was DDing a 76 Dodge like this one. Weighed 3300 pounds with a 360v8 but was actually called a compact car when new.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 28 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

The 904 is very small when you are standing next to one.
This is me sitting in 0014, and I'm not a super big guy, 5'9" in heels. The one on the left is my car, the one on the right is 0014.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jul 28 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #39

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

Scale the weights... All Porsches up til the mid- 70's weighed no more than 2200 lbs... 914s are just at 1800-2000, and those are street cars.

The 904 was just a fiberglass shelled "unibody" race-car. Definite death trap in collision on the street. That Cayman is a Pig at 2900 lbs.
+Quote Post
stuttgart46
post Jul 28 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 8,474

Say what you want about how big the modern Porsches are but they also make it possible to drive them daily. I use my Cayman S like I would a modern SUV (minus the hauling of big stuff) and it's great. Long trips or spending several hours in the car are not an issue. Also, the A/C is great.
I still have a couple of 914's for that raw, true sports car feeling but I wouldn't trade the convenience of my Cayman S for anything.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:04 PM