Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> bumper top question
87m491
post Aug 1 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

I have a very nice looking front bumper cap save one thing, the small extensions that wrap 90 degrees around the top outside edge of the bumper have splayed out and no longer remain close to the bumper. Any ideas on how to bring them back in?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
mepstein
post Aug 1 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It's foam. It doesn't last forever. The ends don't have the metal stiffener so they're going to go first.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 1 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

You could try a heat gun on low & try to push it back into place - but you may have to build a wood jig to form & hold it, or sell it to someone else for a nice DD quality top, & get a nice repro from 914Rubber, Stoddards, Sierra Madre, AutoAtlanta (about $370-400 last I recall) - as the originals are long NLA (although an NOS pops up every now & then for big bucks).

If yours is a DD & you don't want to pay for a new repro (which use SS instead of mild steel which rusts on the originals, by the way), you may just want to be happy that's all that is gone bad on it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 2 2016, 06:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,674

I was able to use 3M 5200 to repair a big hole in a bumper top. There is a thread on here somewhere http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl= . It comes in black and is a super adhesive that will stick right to the bumper material and has nearly identical durometer to the bumper when cured. You will have to rig a clamp/mold to hold the corner in position until it cures (24 hours or so).

Should work
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
87m491
post Aug 2 2016, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,731

Looks like a great place to start.
Thx

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 2 2016, 04:40 AM) *

I was able to use 3M 5200 to repair a big hole in a bumper top. There is a thread on here somewhere http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl= . It comes in black and is a super adhesive that will stick right to the bumper material and has nearly identical durometer to the bumper when cured. You will have to rig a clamp/mold to hold the corner in position until it cures (24 hours or so).

Should work

+Quote Post
Darren C
post Aug 2 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

QUOTE(87m491 @ Aug 2 2016, 02:27 AM) *

I have a very nice looking front bumper cap save one thing, the small extensions that wrap 90 degrees around the top outside edge of the bumper have splayed out and no longer remain close to the bumper. Any ideas on how to bring them back in?

Hi 87m491,

Go to day 165 of my Build for the answer you seek with pictures and text of how to pull the sides of the bumper cap back in.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47250&st=60

Best regards
Darren
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:34 PM